1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my prius 2010 hatch latch is not locking.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kate f, Jan 23, 2014.

1. kate f

kate f New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I cannot lock my prius hatch door. It will shut but the lock does not engage. Apparently the lock is broken. Can I order the part and have a mechanic friend do it for me as Toyota want to charge $200 to install it. The part from Toyota is $210. Anay advice for doing the job cheaper than this?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A knowledgeable mechanic should be able to install the lock mechanism and save you some money.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from Prius v to Gen III and from technical to maintenance and troubleshooting.

4. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Google. You might find the part cheaper or go to a wreckers for a second hand lock. I don't think they'll break too often.;)

5. Paul G

Paul G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had exactly this problem. I found a replacement lock on eBay for $70 and it took me all of 10 min to install it. Super simple. You just need to loosen 3 10-mm bolts and take off the electric cables and the faulty lock, then put in the replacement lock and fasten everything again.