1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius Battery rebuild experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MichaelN77, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Who needs to follow the written instructions when doing something new and outside of your usual comfort zone :rolleyes:?

m.wynn, edthefox5 and Skibob like this.
  2. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So got finally figured it and installed everything right as far as I can tell. Put the battery back in. All the lights are still on and the battery is not charging. No what? :(

IMG_2419.jpg IMG_2423.jpg

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This really should be it's own thread...

But after you install it, did you clear the codes? The car doesn't magically know it has a new battery. And what do you mean it isn't charging? It shows Ready, which is good! If you stand in the accelerator, does the engine turn on?

Skibob likes this.
  4. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your right it charges when I hit the accelerator. So I how do I clear the lights and code? In the ChrisFix video they cleared themselves when he turned the vehicle back on

5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pull the negative lead off of the 12 volt and leave it off for about 5 minutes.

See what returns.

Skibob likes this.
  6. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I disconnected the 12-volt battery for almost twenty minutes. I still have the same warning lights but this time the green/blue "Ready" light also turned on. I took it for a test drive around campus. It is quick and nimble again. Just have to get those lights to clear.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If removing the 12 V doesn't clear the codes, then you will need to use a code scanner to clear them. And while you have the scanner, you could read the codes to see what ails your car. It might help to working out how to go about fix the problem.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am glad I bought one then. I could not sleep anyway and not getting anywhere with the homework. So let's go play with the Prius in the Parking Lot at three in the morning! :) So I plugged the scanner and cleared the codes and they would go away for a few seconds. Then I heard some clicking sounds in the back, most likely in the battery, and lights came on again. Tried a different app that cleared the codes and said to disconnect the 12-volt battery for five minutes. So I made it ten minutes just to safe. Reconnected the battery and the warning lights returned. I repeated the process again and just going to leave the battery disconnected all night. As I am typing this I just realized do I also have to unplug the scanner or I just keep it plugged in? Also, the delicate metal bridge thing is in place with the open end pointed towards the liftgate, as the instructions said. It did not get bent either. I have yet to put the metal cover on that goes over the left side of the battery, over the ECU. Could this also be an issue? Here is what the two apps said about the codes.

IMG_2424.PNG IMG_2427.PNG

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need to review and recheck all the wiring work.

P0AFA = Hybrid Battery System Voltage Low

DTC No. DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area
    1 P0AFA Either of the following conditions occurs (1 trip detection logic)
    • Voltage at each battery block is below 2 V
    • Voltage of all the battery blocks is -24 to 2 V
    • Junction block assembly (busbar module)
    • No. 2 frame wire (busbar and wire harness)
    • Battery ECU

MONITOR DESCRIPTION
    The battery ECU monitors a voltage of the battery blocks to detect an open malfunction in internal battery voltage sensor circuits of the battery ECU and the wire harness between each battery block and battery ECU. If a voltage at one of the battery blocks is below a standard level or of all the battery blocks is within a specified range, the battery ECU judges that there is an open in the internal sensor circuit(s) or wire harness. The battery ECU then illuminates the MIL and sets a DTC.

See the Full Work Up For DTC P0AFA which I have attached below. It refers to DTC P0A80, which is linked here: Full Work Up For DTC P0A80

Attached Files:

#49 dolj, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2019-2-24_17-48-30.png

Looks like one of those smaller cables, most likely 7-7, got frayed when putting the plastic covers back. Probably when pushing down the cables to get the covers over them. Is it safe to drive it about five miles to my friend’s place that can repair it?

11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you have a damaged harness, it will not function as desired and could lead to other concerns ;).

Could you ask your friend to come to you since it is a short distance?

If you explain the finding to him, he might understand and assist where you are(y).

2k1Toaster and Skibob like this.
  12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those cables are small but they carry high voltage. If you actually have a damaged cable/wire then you potentially have exposed high voltage DC, exposed as it there is metal that you or something else could touch. If the cable is damaged to where it is loose and moving around, that's a dangerous situation and you should pull the safety plug.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Got the new harness on, tested the Prius, it worked fine. Put the cover back on the battery and all the bolts that hold the battery to the car. Tested it again and it worked fine. I started putting the interior back. I decided to move the car up a little out of the sun. Prius did not start nor ready. Disconnected the 12-volt battery and/or the safety plug a few times for up to twenty minutes. Then had to jump start it. The hybrid battery will not engage and the 12-volt battery does not seem to be working. However, Toyota said that the 12-volt battery was great condition. Yah, so much fun, now what? :( :)

14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What is the voltage that the 12 volt is reading?

Did you leave a door ajar (or the hatch) while working on your Prius causing the 12 volt to drain?

15. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, I decided to clean this oil goo from gas additive that spilled all over the plastic compartment and every thing underneath. I left it open the whole time. I figured it drain the battery. Jump started it but could not get the Prius to ready. The car system and lights only turn on while it is jump starting. Every thing soon goes dead shortly after the jumper cables are disconnected. The 12-volt drops voltage pretty quickly. It was completely fine before all of this. Maybe I need to check its connections.
    IMG_3179.MOV

16. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I checked the connections and they seem fine. I removed the negative cable and bend it back into shape. I put the lead back on the bolt and screwed it back in. I noticed an amber light on the start button getting brighter as the bolt got tighter. Then the dome lamps slowly started turning on and also started to brighten. I just closed all the doors and locked it. I going to leave it like that for a while. I think I might have fixed the problem. Is the bolt that holds the negative connection into the chassis special or will anyone that fits do?
    C213FCBE-731F-4216-BFF0-F9DC9C67440D.jpeg DA71917C-D009-4E15-9B86-6F75DDDECBD8.jpeg
    I guess it is super dead and need to keep it the other vehicle hooked up until the engine hopefully starts up?

#56 MichaelN77, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If any of you guys have had HVAC work performed, one of the biggest sayings is that the brand of equipment isn't nearly as important as the quality of the installation craftsmanship.

Skibob, edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Baconcake

Baconcake Junior Member

2006 Prius with 214k miles.
    Doing research after watching hybrid battery replacement videos I found the "Hybrid Assistant" app for my phone. It gave me a really cool way to see what's going on with the batteries in real time. The "Hybrid Assistant" was showing block #7 as the lowest value and when I pulled the battery out and apart cell #14 was 1.2 volts lower than all the rest. I took the cheap way out, a gamble I know, and picked up a pair of cells on ebay for $52 with free shipping. I pulled out #14 and the next lowest value #10 and replaced them with the ebay cells. In my excitement to see if it worked I turned on the car before I put the safety plug back in and was greeted with the Red Triangle of death. So I cleared the code and now my Prius is back with the living.

So, if you want to know how your hybrid battery is doing, check out the "Hybrid Assistant" app. I used the "Panlong ODBII Diagnostic Scanner for Android" for the Bluetooth connection.

Good luck all...

BTW (I have no connection to either the app or Bluetooth adapter.)

19. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please, check back every 3 months or every six months to let us know how long this works for you.

Would really help the community to have more data points.
    Thanks for contributing.

Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  20. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2019-3-14_20-42-58.jpeg upload_2019-3-14_20-42-58.jpeg
    I found the source of the strange smell after driving around for a while. The corrosion has fused the screw and bolt together. The bottom of the screw has come to lose from whatever holds it down. So when everything just turns when I use a socket wrench. This is the bolt that holds down the main power connector to the battery that is closest to the liftgate. Any ideas how to get the nut off and get the screw out (I probably have to replace both at this point) and where to get the replacements?

Attached Files: