1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius Battery rebuild experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MichaelN77, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is an excellent photo.
    Mind if I use it?

It's a bummer that happened.
    I've seen it before and the damage can be severe enough that it make store sense just to swap out the part. Do you have access to used parts?

If you need something let me know, I may have it on the shelf.

And please get yourself an inch-pound torque wrench. It will hopefully save you from these kinds of dangerous errors.

2. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do have an inch pound torque wrench, that is what we used to put all the nuts back on. As for the spare part, not that I know of. I tried turning that screw next to it but it would not budge either. I was thinking about drive around until it gets hot again and then trying to remove at that point.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It really looks kinda welded together.
    It may need to be ground off.

4. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good news, I was able to get the nut off the bolt. I loosen that screw to the left and the whole assembly came off. It looks pretty bad, the plastic on the terminal is melted and the metal ring at the end of that white wire is pretty melted. What does that white wire do anyway? I have the pieces soaking in vinegar now. Also now I know why the torque wrench did not work because this bolt was free spinning the whole time.
    IMG_4237.jpg IMG_4238.jpg IMG_4240.jpg IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4243.jpg IMG_4244.jpg IMG_4245.jpg IMG_4246.jpg IMG_4247.jpg
    Looks like the parts cleaned up nicely I got some replacements from Auto Zone just in case.

Is it possible to replace that melted piece at the end of the white wire with the piece I got from Auto Zone?

#64 MichaelN77, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  5. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should be able to do this if it's about the same size, if I remember correctly that is a drain resistor preventing inductive currents from staying in the main wires after shutoff. this is absolutely necessary safety equipment.
    as for the bolt free turning you need to ask someone like eric to sell you a complete replacement positive contactor. that thing is normally a one piece thing.
    he might have the resistor with wires too so you dun have to mickey mouse it.
    I personally am actually working on redoing my battery again.
    Michael what are you doing with your old modules?
    I'm in Los Angeles I might be interested. but where are you actually Neptune , CA doesn't really exist lol
    terramir

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    double post

#66 Skibob, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    double post

#67 Skibob, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. MichaelN77

MichaelN77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I chickened out cutting off the terminal and replacing it with a brand new one. Instead, I cleaned practically every square millimeter of the old until it looked new. I used a pair of pillars and help from a neighbor to hold down the bottom of the bolt while I used a torque wrench to tighten the nut down on the other end. Then screwed it back down into place. This time I put that drain resister terminal on top of battery/power terminals and just under the nut to be safe. It has been almost a week of driving it around and ride sharing all night without any problems or strange smells. In fact, I just arrived in San Antonio with the Prius as the first stop on my Spring Break Road Trip. I was going to see if the place that does battery rebuilds here in Central Texas would like to purchase the old modules. I lost track of time to contact them and also forgot to pack them. :( Also what is the temperature when the battery fan turns on? I still have not heard it turn on. So I think everything is solved except what to do with the old modules.

I think it is time to move on and create a thread to get help here to fix the bumpers. I do not think my former insurance company is going to do anything about them. I had a few problems with both of them partially coming off during the drive or those plastic black panels under the bumpers almost falling off. Funny enough my car is parked in the same place where it got hit in the back overnight as last time. Hopefully, it will be okay this time. :)

9. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Michael if you make it back to the LA area in one piece I would want to buy them,
    terramir

10. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nevermind just noticed you don't live in cali just in Veronica Mars land lol