1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius battery used for research

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Aaron Vitolins, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe I've posted about this in past, but about a year and a half ago I pulled the fully functional (but low on capacity)hybrid battery out of my 2005 Toyota Prius that had 240,000 miles and sold it to Penn State university for battery research. I just found this quick video about their battery research program.

I'm just really happy I got to contribute to this cool program and my Prius battery went to the greater good of battery research!

m.wynn likes this.
  2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    And you got some money out of it. IMHO, they've been talking high tech batteries for years using carbon nanotubes and graphene and whatever else sci-fi that they can dream of. The 4th gens just barely got lithium ions and they've been around for a long time now.

Until they can sufficiently mass produce said batteries at low cost, most likely we won't see it until the end of our lifetimes.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you 100%. I know that better battery's are possible. The battery's that we all know and use have been around forever. I might live to see the day where we seen massive battery improvements, and boy am I excited!

4. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Australian gen4's didnt even get lipos, still old nimh batteries of which seem to be getting worse as the years go by. no great loss g4 is a hideous looking thing anyway

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I'm hoping the design of the Prius gets good by the time my 2nd gen dies and its time for a new one. The tech is great, the presentation no so much.

6. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I decided to stick with the gen2s a bit longer myself as I like the mfd interface and gadgets, user goodies plus they are tried and true! good n faithful, a noble steed

Aaron Vitolins likes this.