1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius C HID and LED installation adventure thread!! (lots of Pics!)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by managerman, May 15, 2012.

1. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    10 pack of LEDs

do not know if these are the same he used, but I'm using them, they have slight bluish color to them when they're on. I use these in the dome, cargo, and license plate lights. Before plugging them in make sure the metal connectors are lined up properly, and bend them straight, or else the light won't light up properly.

WiscPriusc likes this.
  2. AliIzad

AliIzad Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for such an informative post. After days of trying to decide which HIDs to go with, I ended up buying the xenon supply kit. Completely plug and play and could not have been easier to install. Amazing difference compared to stock. I could not be happier. Infact, I parked the C next to the wifes 2011 BMW328, and turned on both headlights. The quality of xenon supply output was almost as good as the factory BMW HIDs. Also changed the trunk, dome, parking, and license plate lights to LEDs. Very happy.
    Thanks again.

Dylan Doxey and karabits like this.
  3. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Attached Files:

4. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I was wondering how those bulbs would work in the DRL's... how does it handle high beams?

5. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been trying to upload pics but keep getting an error message. The LED DRL works well as a DRL but you will have no high beams. I live an an urban area and never use my high beams. If the pic would load I can get the hole headlight to illuminate by putting the high beams on it looks like one big white light.

6. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That's fine by me, NYC is pretty urban. :LOL: Glad to know it works, I'll be buying something like those once I get some HID's. Was thinking about something like these: iJDMTOY CREE, but yours are cheaper.

7. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The DRL is running 40% voltage of the high beam so how do you mod it to have full power to LED to DRL with no high beam at all? I guess you just wire directly DRL switch to the LED that's why you don't have high beams anymore, if so how did you do it?

8. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the headlights on and than just push the arm forward for high beams, since the LED is not a true highbeam it just lights up.

9. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    So if you have it set to DRL, what happens?

10. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Than just the LED DRLs light up see the second pic above that is DRL only on the headlight switch.

11. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Ah okay. tx

12. christianiri

christianiri New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello, I recently bought a Phillips hid kit 6000k for my prius c one. it works fine but one of the headlights looks a bit more bluer. I have tried everything, I even installed a warning canceller. Its like its lacking some energy or power. What can be causing that? I hate to have one headlight white and the other one a bit bluer.

13. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure why you quoted his humongous post with pictures.

Try to swap the bulb or ballast which ever is easier for you to see any different.

taco4267 and F8L like this.
  14. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The reason for the cut-off is (1) so the light does not the eyes of on-coming drivers and (2) so you don't waste power illuminating birds above your car. (3) More seriously, if the light aims upward and there is any fog it just comes back at you and looks like a white-out.

The light needs to go on the road only, not at other drivers and not into the air

Next about color temperature. The Sun is about 5500K at noon on a clear day. and goes down in color on both sides of noon. 3500K is sunlight in the morning or evening. Human eyesight is very well adapted sunlight at mid-day. We see 5500K as "pure white" with no tint. So for best vision go with 5000k to 5500k.

That said it has become a recent fad or fashion trend is install very high color temperure lights, even to the point of being counter productive. So we see these purple looking headlights. The reason I think this got started is that in the old days headlights were about 3300K to 3500K and matched the light of the sun at sunrise/sunset and this was not optimal so the word got out that "higher color temperature is better." and then people who likely did not understand lighting though "is higher is better then a LOT higher is even better" This is not the case. If it where we'd all be using ultraviolet lamps. The human eye is most sensitive to yellow/green light.

But mostly some people just think the purple lamps look cool. Way opinion is the "screem" pull me over to cops. IT is far better to blend in and NOT stand out. Likewise I assume that the "pumkin orange" Prius-C is a cop magnet too.

15. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just installed chrome signals, they still light up amber. Good alternative if you don't feel like dealing w/ relays n whatnot for LED signals.

Attached Files:

16. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What was the trick to getting the plastic cover off the light in the trunk? I fiddled around with it but couldn't get it.

17. ThaSaint

ThaSaint Go Big Blue!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Just wedge a screwdriver in it and pop it off.

18. estebinbin

estebinbin Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the guide.. i just replaced some of my lights with led lights starting with the interior dome lights. i even bought the leds you recommend however i do not notice them being brighter if fact the originals seemed brighter. i did install during the day so i will check them out at night to see the difference... i did notice that one of the first led bulbs i but in seemed to be more on the purple then the second one i put in...

19. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think the fuse to the trunk light may have blown. My light isn't working anymore.

20. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech