My Prius camper- a mini hotel on wheels!

Discussion in 'Living Life in a Prius' started by wbs887700, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:34 PM.

1. wbs887700

wbs887700 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've been traveling the country in my Prius for the past several months and so I thought I would share it here. I watched all the Prius camper videos on YouTube and asked tons of questions in the Prius camping groups on Facebook and got all the ideas I could and then finally made my own Prius camper. I installed a power inverter, fridge, microwave, sleeping platform, and a lot more stuff. Here it is:

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice setup!

I would suggest moving the + connection for the inverter from the bolt where you have attached it, just to the nearby bolt that is on the other side of the battery fuse. (It's behind a little spot where the plastic of that fuse/connector housing folds out.)

fused.jpg

Here's what that looked like in my old Gen 1 (where the same style fuse/connector housing was used). The cover flap is folded open in the photo so you can see the connection.

[​IMG]

Connecting at that recommended spot means you've got the battery fuse between your inverter wiring and the battery, and also, at the far forward end under the hood, the DC/DC converter fuse between your wiring and the car's converter. That makes it a well-protected spot.

It also means that when you are running the inverter and the car is READY (which I hope is pretty much always, right?), because your inverter's power is coming from the DC/DC converter then and not from the battery, you just have the voltage drop of one fuse on that power path, rather than two.