1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius dead again, with techstream this time.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by gromittoo, Oct 16, 2021.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is no solenoid associated with the EGR valve.

The valve is driven by a rotary stepper motor acting on a threaded valve stem. The black plastic cover on the valve encapsulates the stepper motor windings and encloses the rotor and bearings.

Other than the stubbornness of the two Phillips screws, which respond well to a light touch with a hand impact driver (the kind you bop with a hammer) or a seized-fastener removal tool like the Lisle or Thexton, there is nothing especially difficult about disassembling or reassembling the valve. The design is straightforward; you would kind of have to try to mess it up.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I admit that I'm wrong about it's construction, Chap. I am inquisitive, however, why you needed to disassemble it; other than to find what you stated.

I'm more concerned on how to fix grom's problem.

3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I knew the EGR has a stepper motor from other discussions. I assumed that @Georgina Rudkus had simply misspoken by calling it a solenoid. It would have been easier to clean the EGR if I had disassembled it. But as @ChapmanF recalled, I was unable to get the screws off.

I have been monitoring the EGR_FLOW_INSUFFICIENCY after I did the cleaning of the EGR + Cooler. The first data point after the cleaning was a dramatic improvement of from 15.2 KPa to 20.5 KPa. Then it dropped down to 15.6 and stayed there for a long time. Recent checks have been in the 13 -14 KPa range, which concerns me.

I do wonder if I did damage to the EGR, causing it to stick. A faulty EGR does not explain the HV battery going to zero.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Disassembling it is an easy way to check for freedom of movement of the valve pintle. It can even be done with the valve on the car, only two Phillips screws to remove. (If it doesn't move smoothly, it might be possible to free it up some working only from that end, though I have never tried that. Removing the valve and de-caking the carbon from the business end of the pintle might often be required.)

Mine had some corrosion on the metal bits inside the stator, thick enough to impinge a little on the rotor. That was easy to clean up, making sure the rotor spun smoothly. It was also easy to collect some of the grease that had retired from the threads to rest in other locations, and put it back on the threads.

[​IMG]

In ozmatt's thread, there was an interesting failure mode where the ski-jump-shaped stop molded into the rotor had developed a carve-out:

[​IMG]

The stop defines where the valve's "full closed" position is. If the stop gets carved through, the rotor can go additional steps in the closing direction, beyond "full closed" (which is possible because of mechanical play).

What happens then is interesting. Because the ECM only knows the valve position by dead reckoning how many steps it has moved from "full closed", if the rotor actually goes beyond full closed when closing, then it never gets as open as it should when opening. That was ozmatt's problem.

Heating and re-sculpting the ski jump gave ozmatt a working valve again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was funny: ozmatt was very doubtful the repair would hold up any longer than enough time to source a replacement valve. But that was April, and I don't think I ever saw a followup where he later replaced the valve or where the repair failed. I think it may hold up a good long time.

I don't think ski jump carve-out is really a common failure for these. In ozmatt's case, it happened during a sustained high-load drive on an already very (40 ℃) hot day; apparently a perfect storm where the valve's metal bits got hot enough to carve through the rotor material.

Probably nothing like that going on in grom's case. I just wouldn't want to leave other readers afraid to open the thing; as long as you have a tool for the stubborn Phillips screws, it's an easy inspection to make.

Threads are forever on PriusChat, so usually the reason for correcting something is not to pick on the person who said it, but to make sure future readers don't end up getting the idea there's a solenoid there, or that removing the stator lets the magic out.

#24 ChapmanF, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I still think that there may be an obstruction in one of the passages of the intake or maybe even a crack in the intake. 35% glass filled PA6-6 nylon is tough but not unbreakable.

6. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did do a cleanout of the IM a few weeks after I did the EGR + EGR Pipe + EGR Cooler.

The thing is, the HV battery went to zero twice without warning. I drove 450 miles of driving in between and no issues. It will need to be towed a second time, and AAA will charge me this time.

Toyota sent me a satisfaction survey email for the dealer. There is a toll free number for the "Toyota Customer Experience Center", and I may give them a call tomorrow (Sunday).

I paid $280 for a "Hybrid Diagnosis", and the only problem they solved was a PCV hose, and an Evap Hose. They probably recharged the HV battery, and the car worked. At least this time, I did not disconnect the 12 volt battery, so the computer won't have been reset.

Worse is this is the second weekend I am without income (Third if you count that I took off for a family thing on Otcober 1st).

7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's got to one minor thing that is causing your issue. The problem is solved by finding it.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Holy...did anyone notice the shortwave highest value? On a Gen 2, anything less than 4.99v means you're losing insulation value on the HV system and heading for a P0AA6 fault. This would prevent the car from going to ready/starting unless the 12v battery was disconnected to clear codes (or codes are cleared)

This car is at 1.5ish? Are the trigger values different for a Gen 3? Think I read somewhere that the Gen 3s were a bit different, but I just don't remember exactly.

And if the first code is for MAF out of range, has there been thought of digging into that? Seems the obvious path, but maybe I'm missing something?

Check engine light came on this morning-P0101 | PriusChat

#28 TMR-JWAP, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  9. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think grom damaged the MAF sensor or installed it backwards, if that is all possible.

10. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    "shortwave highest value"?
    "you're losing insulation value on the HV system"?

I don't understand "shortwave highest value" (what page was that on?), but the "you're losing insulation value on the HV system" might explain the "Loud Bang" that was heard during the first time this happened:

My 2013 Uber vehicle died after making a loud noise. | PriusChat

That bang sounded like a firecracker. Since all my windows were open, the echos off the parked cars next to me led me to think the bang came from under the car under near the back seat. There was a distinct firecracker like smell. An HV short in that area would also explain the HV battery drain.

The ICE would only run for 15 seconds, but i could hear an unusual whirring sound near the ICE water pump. I heard this same whirring sound yesterday when the car was in my driveway, and the ICE would only run for 15 seconds. Took the air snorkel out, hoping to isolate the whirring noise while a neighbor started the car. By then, I had no ready light.

I realized last night that the whirring sound could be the Throttle body struggling to keep the engine running.

Yesterday's repeat did not have a bang, but the ICE was running really rough, and the HV battery was really low. After about 5 attempts to start it, I no longer have a ready light. The P3190 code is marked "Permanent", as is the P0A0F-204. Can I clear those codes with techstream?

My wife took the only working car to work today. My plan is to get the Minivan running again, so I can buy parts. I might buy a MAF sensor.

11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shortwave highest value
    Page 2 line item 16 in your photos

On a Gen 2, this is a measure of the insulation/isolation of the HV system from the chassis of the car. It uses a range of 0-5v, with 5v being perfection. 4.99 is pretty much the standard value for a car in normal condition. I think somewhere around 2.8v triggers the P0AA6. This is a single trigger fault in a Gen 2 and although it will allow the car to continue to drive after being triggered, it remains in the ecu and will then prevent the car from going ready again once the car is turned off. The only way around it is to fix the fault or clear the code. If just clearing the code, it will usually trigger again soon, leading to a frequent circle of clearing codes so the car can be put in ready.

Keep in mind, I don't think the Gen 3 is identical to the Gen 2 in regard to the P0AA6 and it's trigger point or protective functions. Perhaps it's more just a troubleshooting indication. But, looking at the variation of the readings, from 1.25 to 1.5ish, there is something going on. It should be rock steady, not jumping around.

#31 TMR-JWAP, Oct 17, 2021
    gromittoo likes this.
  12. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what you mean by "1.5 ish".
    @rjparker posted a link to an article where the MAF got a small peice of a leaf caught in it.

13. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's another reason I use an HPS intake with a K&N filter.

The MAF sensor is after the filter. The filter is totally enclosed to keep out rodents. Removing the OEM filter box provides space for close mounting of the oil catch can. Steves 2017 Prius v.jpg Steves OCC.jpg

14. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If clearing the code can get the car to the dealer without a tow tonight, It might be worth it. I can give them a saved file of the snapshot file (if I can figure out how to save it). I can also crawl under the car to check the insulation on the large orange HV cable. I did a coolant drain from the radiator in the exhaust pipe back in June, and the Big Orange cable runs close to that spot. It was my second thought when I heard the original "bang" (my first thought was an actual firecracker).

It is frustrating that I was never able to get the Tech the background info he needed to do the job. I had the car towed to the dealer on a Thursday Night. They managed to get the car into a service bay at the end of the day Friday. I got a call from a Service Manager at 8:30AM on Monday, before I was awake (I am a late night Uber Driver, I don't get up before 9am). I tried to contact the dealer, calling multiple times that morning to fill them in, but got no answer / voicemail.

At 3:30, I got a call from the SM, and he told me that they thought it was bad gas, and wanted to do a fuel bypass. They found a PCV hose that was disconnected, and missing its clamp. This was the first time I was able to give them the story about the bang, or the fact that I had already replaced the PCV and done an EGR Cleanout 3 months ago. I think they cleared the codes, and recharged the HV battery, and called it fixed. The tech might have assumed the depleted HV battery was due to the ICE failing to run for more than 15 seconds.

15. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Conicelli Dealership's online portal has the MAF sensor for $103.17.
    https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/oem-parts/toyota-mass-air-flow-sensor-222040v010

Since I own two Prius v's, buying it would mean I would have a spare, if it does not solve the problem. My wife is off tomorrow, so I have the option to swap MAF sensors between cars.

I have to mention that I am suspicious of the EGR valve as sticking, as I cleaned the EGR system back in June. I monitor the EGR_FLOW_INSUFFICIENCY, and it has dropped precipitously of late. It was 20.5 KPa the first time I measured it after cleaning, and dropped to 15.6 after only 250 miles. It has been 13-14 more recently. Buying a brand new EGR valve would cost $234.00
    https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/oem-parts/toyota-egr-valve-2562037120

Actaully the EGR "kit" which includes gaskets is cheaper at $147.72:
    https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/oem-parts/toyota-egr-valve-kit-0400458137

#35 gromittoo, Oct 17, 2021
  16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Each line item in the freeze frame data has 5 data points to the right. The five data points for the Shortwave Highest Value range from 1.5 to 1.25, with most ~1.5. Slang = 1.5 ish

17. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Although my 2012 Prius v has only 26k miles on it, if the spare parts are not really expensive like the engine and inverter water pumps and the thermostat, I like to keep them readily available as spares that I can put in in less than an hour, rather than have the car towed to the dealer and maybe have them need to keep the car overnight and requiring me to find transportation to pick it up in one day or more.

If I can find used low mileage used parts like the fuel pump, I purchase them, too off of eBay. I even have one of those Prius v big orange HV battery cables. Most wrecking yards are apparently selling them for their high copper content. If the dealer has to get one, it might have to be back ordered from Japan for $1,200 or more.

Since the Prius v has been discontinued, the longer I wait to get used parts, the condition is degraded by use and wear.

Like a spare tire or fire extinguisher, it give me peace of mind that I can take car of a failure in a couple of hours instead of days at minimum cost.

Even if I never use these parts, their resale value on eBay is about what I paid for them.

#37 Georgina Rudkus, Oct 17, 2021
  18. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK Shortwave Highest Value. I wish I understood what the value actually means. 5 volt isolation seems a strange number, that's all.

BTW: I only did screenshots of the P0A0F-204 error. Does it make sense to grab screenshots of the other two errors?

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "short wave" is a funny translated term. It will make most native English speakers think of a radio frequency band where you can listen to broadcasts from Romania.

What got translated from the Japanese here is just a "wave" that is used to test the high-voltage wiring for a "short".

The battery is supplying high voltage DC, 200 to nearly 300 volts. That whole system needs to be kept isolated from the car body and all of the 12 volt normal car wiring. The battery ECU needs to constantly monitor to make sure that isolation doesn't break down.

How does it monitor? Well, on top of the hundreds of volts of DC from the battery, it adds a small recognizable AC waveform:

[​IMG]

Then it listens for any sign of that "short" "wave" turning up on the car body or in the 12 volt wiring.

According to a (possibly incomplete) Gen 3 repair manual going around, the "highest val" should be at least 4 volts, if in READY mode for at least 2 minutes and when the "voltage before boosting" and "voltage after boosting" are equal.

Yes, freeze frames from the codes set by the ECM would be useful, since the P0A0F is just another ECU saying "huh? engine won't start." P0A0F-204 is essentially an echo of the ECM saying P3190. It could be helpful to see what the ECM was seeing when it said that.

#39 ChapmanF, Oct 17, 2021
  20. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I did the P3190 and P0101 while I was at it.

P0101-Page-01:
    P0101-Page-01.jpg

P3190-Page-01:
    P3190-Page-01.jpg

P3190-Page-02:
    P3190-Page-02.jpg

P3190-Page-03:
    P3190-Page-03.jpg

P3190-Page-04:
    P3190-Page-04.jpg

P3190-Page-04a:
    P3190-Page-04a.jpg