1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius dead again, with techstream this time.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by gromittoo, Oct 16, 2021.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So analogous to a GFCI outlet for your wall outlet. Explains the HV battery indicator indicating zero, if the HV Battery was disconnected when the error was detected.

In my case, the loud bang I heard on October 7th was likely a High Voltage Short (a theory that makes more sense to me than the dealer's explanation of a blown off PCV hose). That time on October 7th I got two errors that I read with the Torque App on my phone:
    1) B1000
    2) Some error that has to do with the Downstream O2 Sensor signal being low.
    My guess is that the big badass High Voltage cable running from the battery shorted out against the O2 sensor. That location would be consistent with the sound I heard. I could imagine that smell I smelled could have been mistaken for gunpowder. I also was working in that area 3 months ago when I drained the coolant from the heat recovery radiator. Perhaps the clamp on the hose started rubbing against the Orange cable (I hope not)?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that's what happened, you will probably find a pretty unmistakable bang-colored spot under the car if you squiggle under there and look.

3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Looking at the P0101 error, that is probably is old, and not important to this HV issue. The snapshot shows that I was going 39MPH, and the Air Temperature was 91 degrees F. That probably happened about 100 miles prior to the car going "not ready".

4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't realize that "bang" had a color.

5. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I am now at a decision point of what to do next. It is 3 o'clock on Sunday Afternoon, and the dealer opens early in tomorrow morning.

1) I have collected a bunch of screen shots, not sure if that is enough.
    2) Right now, My Hybrid battery is showing two bars, but no "ready" light.
    3) My 2013 Prius is blocking my now working Minivan on a driveway with uphill slope (meaning a lot of pushing to free the minivan)
    4) I haven't yet reset any codes, but I could.
    5) I could Call Toyota Customer experience Toll Free number to see if the dealer should tow the car for free, since they obviously missed a diagnosis.
    6) If I reset the codes, there is a chance that I could drive the car to the dealer 15 miles away. I could provide them with the screenshots.
    7) Should I wait until someone decodes the P3190 "Poor Engine Performance" data?
    8) Temporarily Block off the EGR, just in case it is the problem?
    9) Order a MAF sensor or MAP Sensor?

#45 gromittoo, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think Toyota Corporate will authorize a tow. Maybe you should take the 2017 out and make a couple of hundred to cover the tow. I think having the codes on the car is useful for the dealer. Poor Engine Performance is 90% a false code caused by the failure to start.

7. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My wife has the 2017 today, and our third vehicle is blocked in by the 2013. I suppose I could pay for the tow, but they should not charge me the $280 for the Hybrid Diagnosis again, they clearly missed something.

I did come up with the theory about the "whirring" noise. It was near the ICE water pump might have been the Throttle body opening and closing rapidly to compensate for something else, and it is in that area.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    “Bang color” (lightning strike while on ground power)

Attached Files:

gromittoo likes this.
  9. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nasty!

Air_Boss likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have screenshots of the P3190 freeze frame?

The P3190 is the code closer to the actual engine problem; it is set in the ECM, and it means the engine was producing less than 20% of its target torque, at a time when it was turning at least a minimum RPM, not being started, and communication with the power management control ECU was normal.

The freeze frame from that will show what was going on with the various engine parameters at the time,

The P0A0F-204 "engine failed to start" is just a code the power management control ECU set, and means "uhh, I heard something from the ECM about a P3190." And as you could see, it came with 6 screens of freeze frame data of various hybrid system parameters at the time, but not the ones specific to the engine code.

The throttle is positioned by pulse-width modulation, which means "opening and closing rapidly" is really a pretty fair description of its ordinary day-to-day life. That gives it a kind of characteristic buzzy sound at all times in READY (even when the engine is stopped and you'd think they would let it relax). People occasionally post about that sound and almost always guess is something else, like the inverter. There is a coolant loop through the throttle body, and water conducts sound well, so it does kind of seem to come from everywhere, if you're not using a stethoscope.

Thanks to Air_Boss for illustrating the color of bang.

My dad had a bang-colored pocket knife for a while, dating to that time he went to change an outlet in the family room after shutting off the wrong breaker.

11. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Have you gone over the car including the engine compartment and under the car and examined it for such damage? Sometimes a visual inspection reveals a lot of clues.

12. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Look at post #40. Screenshots of P3190

13. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The whirring sound that I was hearing while the ICE is running for only 15 seconds is not normal. It is loud enough to hear distinctly from inside the car if the windows are open. My first thought was that it was the water pump or AC compressor. It sounds like a water pump that is spinning at a really fast speed.

I tried to isolate it yesterday. 15 seconds is not long enough to jump out of the car, and find it. I tried to isolate the noise by removing the air intake snorkel, and then having my neighbor turn the car on for me. The car chose that moment to stop going into ready mode.

I debated clearing the codes, and trying again to see if the ICE would start. I have gathered the snapshot data, then it started raining. Now it is dark outside.

My current plan is to call the dealer at 7:30AM to let them know that the work they did last Monday and Tuesday did not fix the problem. I will send them the Screenshot data. I will ask them if I should clear the codes, to see if I can limp the car the 11 miles to their dealership, or would they be willing to tow it for free (they have their own towing service).

@Georgina Rudkus posted a "Care Care Nut" video that describes a simple EGR test. If the problem is the EGR sticking open, then temporarily putting a metal plate in between the EGR and the EGR tube, would prevent any EGR gas from getting into the Intake Manifold. There should be no EGR gas at idle. It is a simple test that can eliminate the EGR as the source of the problem. However, I would have to get Ready mode back. I don't think a simple clear the codes will work, since one of the codes is marked "permanent".

#53 gromittoo, Oct 17, 2021
  14. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed that would be helpful. When the problem is intermittent, the clues tend to be less obvious. I did as much as I could without jacking up the car, to reveal the underbelly where a short is most likely to have occurred. I also had to finish getting the Van running today, so my wife has a way to get to work while I Uber with the 2017. The van is done, but is blocked by the 2013.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh there they are. The first time I looked at #40 there was nothing there but the first sentence, and I was considering posting "did you mean to attach something?" but figured maybe you posted and then were editing.

Now I am curious how the ECM called that P3190 and not P3191. :confused:

I can see on page 04 that in all 3 snapshots (-3 -2 -1) preceding the code, and the one at the time of the code, and the one just after the code, the RPM target was 1000 and the engine was being spun (engine torque negative). The snapshots were being taken at about half-second intervals, the code was set at the 15th second of the attempt, by which time the ECM had taken about 3 seconds to judge ignition was happening, and had waited 12 more seconds for the torque from the engine to become a positive number.

Nothing has jumped out at me as to why the torque was still negative 15 seconds in, but I don't have a comparable five columns of data from a working engine start to compare it to ....

There might have been more to that P0101 freeze frame. It didn't have a vertical scroll bar, but did have a horizontal one.

#55 ChapmanF, Oct 17, 2021
  16. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Again, I still believe in the visual inspection. Computers are convenient, but nothing beats a trained eye to find the problem.

If the car ran perfectly before the coolant change, the egr cleaning and subsequent work, it has to be something that was done during these processes. The computer sensors only measure that parameter that it is designed to monitor.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I too am awaiting some of that visual-inspection action, not least because I am intrigued by the bang-zap hypothesis and looking forward to the cool pictures if it's true.

But, you know, the freeze frames were already there, and I'm also generally in favor of making use of the information you've already got before suiting back up for more lab work.

It's kind of helpful to know the engine was, in fact, cranking and sending injection and spark pulses for 15 seconds. Whatever got banged and/or zapped, or whatever, is likely to be something else.

18. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There was. I noticed that after posting. the Horizontal scrolling and double column format threw me. I went out and got complete data.

Note that the P0101 was a historic fault that happened earlier when I was going 39 MPH and the Intake air was 91 degrees. That would probably place it on the Friday afternoon, when I was driving on the PA Turnpike to Allentown, or shortly thereafter. That stretch of turnpike is mostly uphill, and I was mostly going 75MPH

Here is the complete version

Page 1:
    P0101-Page-01.jpg

Page 2:
    P0101-Page-02.jpg

Page 2.5:
    P0101-Page-02a.jpg

#58 gromittoo, Oct 17, 2021
  19. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A stuck EGR might do that.

I don't know the difference between P3190 and P3191

I have a 2017 that is working correctly, My wife is off tomorrow. If I knew how to force a capture of that engine starting..

This explains why the Tech (through the Service manager as unnecessary translator) was so focused on where I bought my last tank of gas, and why the tech wanted to do a "Fuel bypass".

As it turns out, the Gas from the most recent fill was from a reputable station, but the tankful before that was from a less reputable station on Essington Avenue called "Gas n Go", and I put 10.6 gallons into what I believe is an 11.2 gallon tank. The "range" had gone to zero at at least 15 miles before that fill with the possibly suspect gas. It was cheaper than average, and might have been E-85. My average MPG on the day before the bang with the suspect gas was pretty low (~33mpg consistent with E85). Toward the end of that night, I put 8+ gallons of reputable gas in. The "Bang" followed by the loss of power steering, and the 15 second start attempts was after the 8+ gallon fill.

The bad gas theory does not explain the repeat this past Saturday morning, which is the results I have captured.

I also don't know if the fuel system bypass ultimately solved the problem, or if the Tech did something else to solve the problem.

#59 gromittoo, Oct 17, 2021
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The difference between P3190 and P3191, according to the manual, is P3190 will be set for insufficient power output during engine operation (not while it is being started), and P3191 is what should be set during an attempt to start the engine, if it never produces self-sustaining power within the allowed judgment time.

Which is why, if I were the ump looking at those freeze frames, and the 12 second judgment time during start expiring without power being produced, my call would have been P3191. I think. :confused: