1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius die!!!!!! help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MyPriuss, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Find the inverter coolant pump located behind the left headlight (left is from the perspective of the rear of the car, driver's side if your car is LHD.)
    2. Make the Prius READY. Do you hear the pump running? Does it vibrate?
    3. Look at the inverter coolant reservoir. If you do not see fluid turbulence there, then either the pump is not working or there is air in the system which must be purged out.

2. gloo87

gloo87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Patrick, thank you very much for the instructions on how to check the inverter coolant pump. We were able to check it yesterday and we didn't hear the pump running, we only heard the vent working, and also there wasn't any turbulence in the reservoir. Is it possible that the pump is not working even if the fuse isn't blown?

Besides, they also ran the scanner and it showed the code p1121 that I think refers to the coolant control valve. Are the pump and valve related? Could my problem only be related to the valve?

And one last question, is the inverter coolant pump the same as the inverter water pump? I find the same piece online with these 2 different names.

Thank you very much!

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes most of the time it’s just inverter coolant pump itself that fails. Pump is not very hard to replace you can find instructions one how to replace it and fill and bleed the inverter cooling system regardless of do you replace it yourself or let somebody do it make sure to use Toyota SLLC-coolant.

Coolant control valve is on engine coolant loop. Check that engine cooling system is full of coolant by removing radiator cap and checking it there (MAKE SURE ENGINE IS COOL wait for hours after shut down). If coolant is full it’s probably bad valve. Bad coolant control valve can cause interior heater not to work and fault light to be on but not much more. If coolant is full, heater works, and fault is not on I wouldn’t do anything. Replacing the valve is not that easy. Filling the engine cooling system and bleeding it is hard/tricky.

Anyways fix the inverter coolant pump first. Before you replace the pump you can measure that there is voltage at the connector at IGN-ON or READY to make sure that the pump is faulty.

What did you use to read the codes? Unless you use Toyota hybrid capable scanner like Mini-VCI you can only read engine related codes.

gloo87 likes this.
  4. gloo87

gloo87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently changed the inverter coolant pump, and the mechanic who changed it said that the old one wasn't working good. He changed it on Tuesday, and we used the car yesterday and just noticed that the "check engine" light will come one every time the electric motor worked on its own, but that was the only thing.
    Today, after a 10-mile drive the check engine light wasn't come on during the drive, but then it turned on after the 45 minutes drive. I turned the car off and waited a few minutes to turn it on again. When doing so, the red triangle and VSC lights came on and the gas indicator started blinking. I was able change it to drive and move it a little bit. I turned it off again and on again and the lights were still there.

What do you think migh be causing the problem?

Thank you for your help!!

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like there is till air in the line.
    Take it back and have them correct the problem by bleeding the air out.

gloo87 likes this.