1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius in Oregon without me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Nov 2, 2007.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello fellow chatter's!

Recently my boyfriend's mother passed away (at the age of 59) and he has been trying to plan his trip up to Oregon to be with his family. After getting expensive flight and rental car prices I offered to lend him my Prius so he can save some money on the trip "home". He left Los Angeles at 4:30 this morning and made it up to his home town around 6:30 pm. He hadn't really driven my car before- he has a 2006 Lexus IS- so I was curious to see how he would adapt to the "cheaper" class of automobile. He checked in periodically and seemed to enjoy the Prius more and more as the day progressed. I programed his phone to the bluetooth so he had that to enjoy. His only complaint was the fuel capacity. While the bulk of the trip is freeways, there are sections that go over steep grades, which sucks on fuel economy- even for the Prius. He said he thinks it is odd that the car never takes much more than 8 gallons of gas to make it longer distances between stops- I agree. I warned him about it before he left. I think the bladder is a nuisance! I have tried the filling methods discussed here, but never seems to work. Oh well! Overall he said he is really enjoying the car and the drive up. He said he wished they made a hybrid IS model ha ha.

Though I don't see him trading his Lexus for a Prius, it is good to hear we have another fan. He has ridden in my car for thousands of miles, as we take it everywhere! But I think he'll have a greater respect for her now.

I really wish that I could be with him- not only for the trip up there, but to support him through this very difficult time. Unfortunately his family does not know of his sexuality yet- very unfortunate. I love him and wish I could be there in this time of crisis.

Not sure why I am telling y'all this; but hey it involves a Prius hehe!

If you're in Oregon and see a black Prius with a white decal on the back that reads "I love Ms New Prius", wave at him :)

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well don't be so sure yet. They are planning an IS hybrid.

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's mother and do send out my condolences to him.

I was in california for the last week and a half.. I don't know if I saw any PCers out there. I might have but obviously I wouldn't recognise you guys.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i hadn't seen this before... sorry to hear about your bf's mom. i hope he someday feels comfortable enough to introduce you to his family.

so are you driving his lexus in the meantime? :)

4. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

I've made the same trip, but only one-way (north) in a Prius. Driving from Sunnyvale to Portland I stopped for gas in Ashland and somewhere to top it off before hitting Portland. I am pretty certain it averaged 49mpg on the trip. Of course if he drives it like he would his IS then the mileage is going to be much worse. The grades shouldn't make the big of an impact, they didn't on my drive anyway.

Be careful, with as many Prius as there are it may find a mate if it makes it to Portland ;)

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all :)

Yes, he said that his dad's neighbor has a Prius, so she had a friend while she was there hahaha!

He also stopped in Ashland! How funny!

I had his Lexus parked here in my garage, I let it rest. I drove my Yaris. The Prius just got home and is now having it's oil changed- 30,000 miles in a year and 2 months! Lot's of air saved and $$

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update:
    I brought the Prius to the dealer to get the oil changed (now at 30,400 miles) now that it is home- I also requested the fix/investigate a loud rattle in the dash towards the windshield. They had no issues looking into it. I was afraid to ask because usually dealers stick to the "your car has too many miles to fix rattles" type of attitude. I think it's even stated somewhere they they are only responsible for trim until 12000 miles or so?? Anyhow, they had no resistance what so ever- they took the dash apart and fixed it! She is back today and so far, rattle free! Yeey! Thanks POWER Toyota of Cerritos! <figured I'd advertise for them