1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is bug out ready and set up to be a power generator today.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kaptainkid1, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Everyone panicing and buying up supplies for the long sleep. I went out and bought 1000 watts Pure Sine inverter. I live in a equake state and it's time to refresh my supplies and do the mods to my Prius. I read you can hook up an inverter to the 12volt battery and put the car in ready mode and she will supply clean electric for 10 day on a full tank of gas. I made 6 gauge wires with a fuse to hook up to the battery even though it came with cables. I later found out the inverter has a trip fuse if it draws too much amps so it wasn't needed. Simple set plus to plus on battery and negative to negative. Turn her on and she's up running no problem. Now if we have black out my fridge, internet modem, TV and computer can run. Make sure the power to the house is disconnected from the power line. You then can run a power and must have a special Male to Male 3 prong plug from the inverter to the power where your fridge is connected. This way the electricity will supply power for those outlets and any other outlet connected to that line.
    I also hooked up a hitch and she can haul more stuff if need be. Another mod very important to bugging out.
    I will be making the male to male cable next.
    Stay safe and be prepared.
    20200317_194847.jpg 20200317_194902.jpg 20200317_194858.jpg 20200317_194936.jpg
    View attachment 188291 View attachment 188292

#1 Kaptainkid1, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also did the hitch mod another mod to bring more stuff when bugging out. 20200209_115816.jpg 20200209_115808.jpg

SM-J737T1 ?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    preppers!(y)

4. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    PARANOID ?????:LOL:

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like you are planning on Road Warrior!

[​IMG]

6. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is my road warriors TJ! She is modded too. Solar power, inverter, ARB fridge, overland ready and extra gas tanks. I'm prepared so why the harsh negative attacks? 20200129_183720.jpg 20190824_213437.jpg

SM-J737T1 ?

Georgejaunty18 and Dxta like this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mean to be negative.
    I've watched various cable shows/documentaries about survivalists/preppers.
    These are people, sometime entire families that invest time, effort and resources preparing for "the end of the world as we know it" scenarios.
    My feeling was and has always been that I'd rather invest my time, money and effort into life today, with the belief that our infrastructure will survive. As opposed to investing into survival tomorrow, in a world that I probably wouldn't want to be in anyway.

But hey, these are unprecedented times.

If you've got the survival tools, already in place? More power to you.

I'm STILL betting we emerge from this crisis, with things to learn and things learned. I don't think it's going to change me into a bunker building, supply collecting, "survivalist" type.

But the converse is? As little as 3 months ago, if you would of told me most of the realities we are facing now, we would face? I don't think I would of believed you.

So I think we're all learning something from this.

Kaptainkid1 likes this.
  8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not quite sure where to bug out to. The open desert?

This isn't an earthquake, storm, fire, invasion, or any other physical damage to your home. Tap water is still available, and unless you live in Flint, safe to consume. The electricity is still on.

Don't bug out. Stay home.

Tony D and douglasjre like this.
  9. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I live in a earthquake state and these mods are good for multiple reasons to be prepared. Not just coronavirus virus. I get a black out even in Los Angeles at least once a year. Now with power companies shutting power during heavy winds in California mountain areas because of wild fires. That's another good reason to get the info out that people can turn their Priuses in a power generator. Why let your food go bad or be unprepared. I didn't do these mods until the shit hits the fan. So can you really call me a prepper?
    My Jeep is Overland ready which is made for long weekend camping trips in the back woods. So it has good features which doubles as a road warriors kind of bad boy vehicle.
    Honestly my Prius is way more flexible then my Jeep and I would take that car if I needed to hit the road. Just for better gas mileage.

Right now the rules:
    1. keep your car gas tank all ways full.
    2. Have key food supplies and water.
    3. Have spare cash around.
    4. Get a gun or have your gun ready with. plenty of ammo.
    5. Make sure you have a 1st Aid kit and medicine.
    6. Have a plan if you need to bail out and where.

I'm sure people can add to this list but these are my basic planning in place.

SM-J737T1 ?

#9 Kaptainkid1, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Dxta likes this.
  10. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So you're saying don't be prepared? Earthquake can't happen in California tomorrow? I see you live in Sunnyvale CA. SF is locked down. My home is fine now. I want to be prepared to leave if need be or better prepared if my house doesn't have power because the grid goes down.
    People should have basic escape plan.
    I was in LA for Ronny King riots, LA 1994 quake, NYC 9/11 and NYC east coast black out. All events and disasters unforeseen and has made me more sensitive to be better prepared. So sit back if you like. I on the other hand are making adjustments with my spare time.

SM-J737T1 ?

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did not see any attacks, but perhaps I had those people on ignore.

Here is my Preparedness story.
    In 2005 I was volunteering at a community kitchen in Clarksdale MS (350 miles north of NOLA) when one day we got 300 evacuees out of New Orleans running from Hurricane Katrina. Since the Care Station already had church groups and civic service organizations lined up to help, it was an obvious focal point. (I served as a Lion twice a month and as a Knights of Columbus once a month delivering meals. I really am a Lion, but the KoC just needed extra drivers)

We opened the Expo Center and got out Civil Defense cots from the 50s. and started planning meals. Churchs would be ready 'soon', measured in days. The Christian bikers, however, all had stockpiles of MREs for the end of civilization. So the first night our evacuees ate MREs. By the second evening, the Mennonite women were feeding evacuees. And then Methodists, etc.

No one responded quicker than the Christian Bikers! They recognized it was the end of our evacuee's world.

Today in Greenwood MS (300 miles north of NOLA) i am the web master for the Community Food Pantry and on the Board for the Greenwood Interfaith Ministries Community Kitchen.

United Way of Leflore County - Home | Facebook

#11 JimboPalmer, Mar 18, 2020
    jzchen, jerrymildred and Kaptainkid1 like this.
  12. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Honestly I rather not eat MRE's and spend any time around a group people right now. Didn't you hear no gathering of 10 people or more.
    Plus being prepared means I don't have to rely on group of strangers on Hand outs because I wasn't prepared and didn't have a back up plan. For able body people shouldn't have any excuse to help themselves and help others in need.
    Didn't you hear Trump say to all the governors in the US. If your state needs medical help like respirators you're shit out of luck because the federal government can not help. Everyday Trump is making excuses and lying to the people that we're prepared and that isn't the case. As much as you help those in need that was gracious of you. I would hope I'm in that position when the shit it's the fan soon.

SM-J737T1 ?

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You've been watching too much of the walking dead BS!!
    PARANOID ???;)

14. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here are the haters!
    Just pick your butt. Everything's fine with you. This type attitude is why people are caught off guard. I watch people and see jack a$$ everyday. Namely our dysfunctional government at work.

SM-J737T1 ?

#14 Kaptainkid1, Mar 18, 2020
    Dxta, danboy and edthefox5 like this.
  15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did say we only fed MREs one night. believe me, the Mennonites cook very well!
    I did say it was 2005, not now.
    They were displaced by 350 miles, so at a disadvantage
    To the best of my knowledge, Katrina was not contagious.
    I guess I don't "have any excuse to help others in need" but I do. These days it resembles Ding Dong Ditch, ring the bell and run! Knock, Knock, Ginger - Wikipedia

In 1981, I walked from Mexico, through California and Oregon into Washington, You may be thinking 'rugged individualism'. No.

Every 4 to 7 days I got mail general delivery from home. Every town we were looking for laundromats and showers. I never went over 42 days without doing laundry. The authors of the Guide Book I was using were posting updates on trees.

Wrightwood CA grabbed me at the Post Office, did my laundry, fed me dinner, and put me in a bed. Belden CA had a lady (on a Sunday) who was our post mistress, grocery store clerk, waitress, and showed us the laundry. She just followed us room to room in a single building serving our needs. Massive help from trail angels, other back packers, our family, and Postmasters.

Your posts read like you are looking for enemies to hate. I find the folks here very helpful, but I admit I never set out to be their enemy.

Pacific Crest Trail - Wikipedia
    Wrightwood, California - Wikipedia
    Belden, California - Wikipedia

jerrymildred and Kaptainkid1 like this.
  16. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here I made the male to male 3 prong plug. I also took a picture on how set this up for those who want to this mod.
    1.Basically you hook up your 1000 watt Pure Sine inverter to your 12 volt battery.
    2. Disconnect the power to your house namely if you can disconnect where the fridge to fuse box then can isolate only rooms and plus associate to that power line.
    3. Hook the power male to male to power the line that is associated to the fridge and it should power the fridge and any power plugs down the line.

As you can see my example of the power plug. Power is then powering the light some where down the line.
    Good luck everyone and stay healthy... 20200318_142718.jpg 20200318_142109.jpg 20200318_143648.jpg 20200318_142535.jpg

SM-J737T1 ?

17. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Theory, or have you done this? Have you photos of your car sending electricity into your home?

18. Kaptainkid1

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do electrical on the side and I know this will work since I ran the example of the light as working proof for Priuschat readers. This is a common mod for Prius. I did the write up to show people it can be done and should be done if people who want to. Honestly I don't want to do a video and I've put up enough photos. You can find other threads and ask them to prove it or do more research.

SM-J737T1 ?

19. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am all for your Prius mods. What I am questioning is the way in which your casually recommend this potentially dangerous modification to send electrification from your well-designed 'bug-out' car, into a residential structure which wasn't designed for it

You're going to switch-off the refrigerator breaker in your house, in order to temporarily connect your modification from your Prius? That sounds convenient BUT what happens when your Prius energizes the other side of the Fridge breaker? I'm not an electrician, but I've read that type of Installation is 1) Illegal 2)Hazardous 3) depends on alot of things NOT going wrong.

If you want to promote that aspect of your bug-out plan, then show us YOU DOING IT.

It often confounds me when people promote DIY projects only to stop short before the final conclusion, like:
    The person who converts auto alternators to construct their own wind farm, then runs a genny when their power quality is
    burning-up their gadgets.
    Or the person who makes a youtube video on how to build your own solar panel, but doesn't show any electrical measurements once its done.

If you're going to advocate for hooking-up electricity from car to house, then you go first.

20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A male-to-male plug is dangerous, but not so dangerous that it should be ruled out for life-or-death situations.

Using such a male-to-male plug is really only useful if you are trying to inject the power into the entire home branch network. Otherwise you'd just run an extension cord into the house to supply the fridge from the car. If the fridge is the only thing you are running, please consider doing that instead.

If you do need to inject power into the other branches of your home, please, please please make certain you have disconnected the mains supply so that you cannot send electricity out of your home where it could injure or kill a utility worker or other person.

When you build something like this for permanent usage, you use an interlock plate so that the aux power and the main power cannot both be switched on at the same time.

Anything you can do that makes it so you have to positively disable your utility power in order to enable your Prius generator input would be a good thing.

Also consider: you might not be the person who has to figure out setting this up or taking it down.