1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is now how it should have been from Toyota - BETTER

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheapChic, Mar 24, 2007.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clarinetist @ Mar 24 2007, 06:20 PM) [snapback]411702[/snapback]</div>
    Two solutions...
    1. Get a Lockpick from Coastal.
    2. Cut the speed sensor wire and install a switch.

2. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Mar 25 2007, 01:19 AM) [snapback]411763[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anyone questions the fact that Honda tunes its cars for handling, while Toyota tunes its cars for a plush ride.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 24 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]411681[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Adam1991,

If there is a linear encoder on the rack, the feedback control would sense the tire forces shifting the rack, and could apply correction. I do not know if this is the case, just it seems to do that.

4. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

I was discussing this with my wife today. I went out about 2 hours away, and on the way back told her that this car is fine for long trips. She mentioned the steering being "different" or "unusual" or something, and I wonder if she's feeling the same thing you are.

She's used to her Honda van--now, that is a difference. A 4500 pound very tall van with conventional hydraulic-assist steering and with suspension and steering dynamics designed by Honda will feel night and day from a 2900 pound Toyota with electric steering. Me, I'm used to my Lexus--so that's probably why I don't think the steering is funny at all.

The car does want to wander when it's windy, though.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius doesn't handle poorly, in my experience its comparable to a Corolla etc in the handling department.

6. chappie

chappie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :)

I have been sitting in the pilots seat of a Touring Prius with package #3 for about a week now. I picked it up at Appleway Toyota in Spokane last Saturday night. Rode it home to Boise that night. Red was my wifes preferred color! I rode it from Boise, ID to Olympia, WA through the wind, rain and snow of I-84 in the Blue mountains as well as the usual high winds in the Columbia River Gorge area. Felt solid. Mileage suffered (41 overall mpg for the day on the freeway with high winds coming from the front left to right rear. The tumbleweeds were on the move!)

First weeks impressions. First stop for gas, Spokane to Hermiston, 224 miles, 4.1 gallons. Poor gentleman pumping my gas was sick, he drives a big ole dodge pickup, 10 mpg on a good day!.
    Tuned suspension is tight, 16 inch wheels feel planted, bluetooth phone works very very well (some counties in WA are on the verge of passing laws outlawing cell phones in hand while driving). Currently using my old XM setup and will be looking forward to replacing it with the Terk boxes directly hooked to the JBL system in the car.

My wife took over the driving duties once I had it back in Boise. She grinned the entire week. She loves the keyless entry and pushbutton start, the fuel "monitors", backup camera and the ability to switch back and forth between our two phones. She is also grateful for the lockout feature on the screen, as she knows I an distracted by "flashy lights". "The motion of the windshield wipers are going to take some getting used to" was her only remotely negative comment. Oh..and the fact the car moved back to Olympia with me today!

All in all very impressed with the Prius to date. Looking forward to putting on many more miles for a more through write up.

7. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Which feature is that?

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 25 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]412108[/snapback]</div>
    You might be able to install a BT Brace to correct that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 26 2007, 03:04 AM) [snapback]412220[/snapback]</div>
    The Lockout "feature" for the NAV is that information can't be entered while the Prius is in motion. This is to prevent you from being distracted while driving, but it also means the passenger can't enter information as well.

9. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Mar 24 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]411583[/snapback]</div>
    My Prius is 13 months old, so hopefully that doesn't mean that the wipers are shot. They've been 'a hack' at best since the car was new.

In rain, they are fine, no complaints.

When it's not raining enough to keep the window clear and you're in traffic getting a bit of the grime on the window, they're terrible. Worst of any car I've had in fact.

The passenger side wiper in this condition is worthless, I just get a big pasty smear of grime on that side.

Then, when I hit the washer fluid squirter, that side will clear off, except for the outter most 4 inches which just stays clouded over.

The wipers are dismal at best.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 26 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]412308[/snapback]</div>
    The wipers aren't to blame. The washer spray nozzle needs to be repositioned for that area. I can only reach the outer regions of the passenger side wiper when I'm stationary. If I'm moving, the fluid never gets there and it smears.

11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Mar 26 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]412308[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I think that is precisely the reason.

I generally change my wiper blades at least once a year, preferably twice a year. You can buy the rubber blade inserts at the dealer for < $20 and they make a night & day difference compared to year-old blades. I also think this reduces the risk of scratching your windshield as I believe sand is more prone to stick to porous old blades compared to new ones (though I have no scientific proof to back this up. ;) )

In fact, I just changed my front wiper blades a couple weeks ago for the first time on my Prius, and I can see much better now. B)

PS - I also use Rain-X on the windows, as this further reduces the need to even use the wipers (at speed) in the first place. Great product.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah a year is about the max life for wiper blades, replace em.

I have PIAA blades in my cars, the refills slide right into the Toyota and Lexus blade housings.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i got about a year and a half out of my wiper blades but they were BAD when we replaced em.

we won't get 30k out of these halfassed tires, in fact we've got almost enough saved up to get a set of michelin energy mxv4+ and should be able to order them soon.