1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is probably totalled :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by YoDaddyAlex, Dec 24, 2006.

1. metalnut

metalnut New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 24 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]366303[/snapback]</div>
    That's terrible luck, very sorry. I wonder if you can press charges against this lady, that would be a pretty expensive ticket, at least. Its a shame you don't live in Northern California. I bought my Prius as a salvage title from a guy who runs a high-end shop and does great fix-up work. Good luck, keep us posted!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ouch. Well.. running the red light is a serious offence...

The problem with that area that you got hit is that the coolant thermos is there and I'm not sure if that would be expensive (along with the fender). If you recall, Dave (from Olympia) got a new Prius and his accident was simply an oncoming car scraping the side of his vehicle. The fenders on the Prius are apparently quite expensive.

3. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Dec 24 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]366431[/snapback]</div>

Now THIS is a great idea. I think you do have 30 days to cancel (varies by state?).

4. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Dec 24 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]366444[/snapback]</div>
    yeah I'm kicking myself now for not taking the GAP insurance. I don't want to take this lady to court but it looks like I will have a hard time getting back to where I was without getting a lawyer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Dec 24 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]366431[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I will find out if I can cancel the warranty or not. I agree about repairing the car causing problems in the future with Toyota, that's why I want a new car and won't settle for less. But the more I think about it, the more I believe her insurance won't give me anything more than the cost for the car itself since there were no injuries. Oh Well.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(04priussaxman @ Dec 24 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]366315[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, he's in CA. It's roughly $1,000 each way to ship a car some 4,000 miles round trip. Besides, would YOU want to pay FULL PRICE, for what is essentially a brand new car ... that's been wrecked/tweeked ? Not likely.

Very sorry to hear about your loss, YodaddyAlex ... hope your bad experience has a happy ending.

6. harrv

harrv Member

A year ago my 42-day-old Prius was totaled. The other driver was at fault. It cost me $1000 that I couldn't recover and my back has been tweaked since then. The back symptoms didn't show up until two months after the accident. I seriously should have gotten a lawyer.

I hope your experience is much better.

7. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 25 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]366512[/snapback]</div>
    You can always take her to small claims court for the few thousand dollars deprecation.

If the car is repaired by a Toyota certified repair center, what would be the problem with future warranty claims? They repaired it to "new" condition. I guess before you cancel the warranty policy you should read it in detail. If you keep the car, it may be useful.

8. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 25 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]366512[/snapback]</div>
    Stand firm. You had a new car. You need to have a new car when this is all said and done, not a repaired one which will be worth less. You can never repair a car to 100% of what it was before. Don't even think about getting it repaired. One week old is the same as brand new as far as I'm concerned. You probably had no more miles on it than a test-drive vehicle on the dealer's lot which he'll still sell as new.

Don't give in. Insurance companies are not in the business of giving money away, but that doesn't mean you should allow yourself to get screwed in the process. This is absolutely not your fault, so you should suffer no loss. They need to understand you mean business.

Good luck.

9. Squint

Squint New Member

The statue of limitations is probably at least two years so unless you already agreed to settle for all property damage and injuries, you can still sue. Personal injury lawyers often offer free consultations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrv @ Dec 25 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]366590[/snapback]</div>

10. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Right now I am kicking myself for one mistake I made at my time of purchase (besides not looking for this website first to get a better deal on the warranty). The mistake I made was not double checking the mileage. They claimed to have a car at another lot, but it turns out they could not get to it, and instead sold me the identical car on the lot. The only problem, the mileage they claimed on this new car was "5" miles on the contract. But the next day I noticed they were looking at the trip odometer. So basically the car really had about 50+ miles on it. No big deal, except now I have about 180 in a week, I'm hoping this won't be a problem because less than 200 miles is still basically brand new... we will see

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 24 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]366330[/snapback]</div>
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. Again, whatever world this comes from is where I wanna be.

The world doesn't work that way. He's unhurt, he's not going to get money for "emotional turmoil" or money for the "inconvienience" or money for the extra gas. If insurance companies had to do all that BS car insurance would cost us ALL $10,000 a year.

To the original poster: First of all glad you're unhurt. I know it sucks but these things happen. I'm very happy to see you aren't angry and combative towards the woman who hit you like MANY people here always seem to be (he VIOLATED my precious Prius! etc etc). Accidents happen, she made a mistake and nobody was hurt which is whats really important. It sounds like she's willing to do what she can do to help make you whole. You've got to continue to be reasonable. The car is obviously totalled, they will get you in a new one. Will it be at no cost to you? Probably not thats what the gap insurance would have covered (if you are leasing or if you financed for 5 years with nothing or little down, GET GAP INSURANCE) but if you stay firm with the company hopefully the costs to you should be small.

I would see what AAA's response is, and at the first sign of resistance from them or at the first sign of something that doesn't seem right or fair I'd get a lawyer. Not to sue the other woman, but to protect and represent you in your efforts to get AAA to understand the recency of your expenditures on the vehicle and get them to pay out to you accordingly since the insurance company is the same on both sides. I wouldn't sign anything without having a lawyer look at it first. Its a $30,000 investment, its worth paying a lawyer $300 to look over it first.

Good luck and keep us posted...

12. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Steve, thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about GAP insurance? I put a few thousand down and financed the car, not leased. I have an extended warranty and lojack, I paid a hundred or so below MSRP for package 5. Do I have a better chance now?

The repair guy said he didnt think it looked totalled but will have to disassemble it and wait for the insurance company to come out and figure out what needs to be replaced, etc. I believe it is totalled because the entire front frame is messed up and the passenger side door does not open. Also it hit very close to the engine and probably damaged the hybrid system as well.

I will wait for AAA to contact me and hope it all gets resolved within a few weeks. I am not angry towards the woman, we all make mistakes, I have caught myself not paying attention but I have never ran a read light after it turned red for 5+ seconds like she did. I feel bad this happened to her at the holiday time. But I am worried that I will have to eat the cost of my down payment if it is indeed totalled

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I asked a friend who's a retired insurance adjuster. Though his remarks are based on info about three years old, he says: Insurance companies want to close the case quickly, because it costs a lot to keep working an open claim.

My feeling is that if you take the time you need to think about things and ask questions, they'll be more inclined to do what you want.

He also says they'll do the right thing since it's a new car. You may not get additional coverage (i.e. rental).

As for the airbags not deploying, his initial guess was that it might not be considered a total loss. But that, of course, depends on the estimated repair cost.

Your mileage isn't a factor in the age of the car. Whether it had 5 or 50 when it left the dealer is immaterial: you've got an "official" number on the sale papers.

As for "repair not being good as new," I have to agree. When I traded my Volvo XC90, they asked about collision damage. I had had a deep gouge from a gate I grazed, and just that fact seemed to reduce my trade value. (Of course, they do anything they can to reduce trade value.) The repair was completely invisible, but I didn't want to lie about it.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually. prognosis looks bad for you... or good, depends on how you see it.

there appears to be damage on only three zones. (front, front left, left side front) which means barring frame damage, it will be repairable.

now i guess it all boils down to the stigma of driving or reselling a wrecked vehicle.

to be honest with ya, i been there, i hope yours is totaled

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 25 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]366468[/snapback]</div>
    according to my insurance company (since the other insurance company handled the claim, they never saw the vehicle) the Prius was totaled based on my description from the number of zones damaged. the entire left side front to back was damaged. when you toss in the front left and rear left, that is enough to total a vehicle even without frame damage.

in my accident, another 3-5" and i would have missed her completely. the impact of the accident was so slight, my SO who was dozing didnt even know that we were involved in the accident. she heard it but didnt feel it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn @ Dec 25 2006, 05:56 AM) [snapback]366491[/snapback]</div>
    doesnt matter when you cancel, you get 100% of the prorated purchase price back. iow, you purchase something for $2400 and it last two years (example only here) you cancel it after a month, you get the unused 23 month purchase price back or $2300

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 26 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]366756[/snapback]</div>
    No problem. Gap insurance covers the difference in what an insurance adjuster values the car at upon a total, and what you owe on the car. Gap insurance is generally required and built into a lease for the lessor, and if you finance for 5 years or more with little money down, the chances of you being upside down on the car (meaning that you owe more than its worth) are a lot higher so thats why its a good idea there too. I think a general gap policy rider on your car insurance costs like $200 one time.

In your situation it may or may not have helped. You're more concerned with getting back into the same position you were in before the accident than with being paid out less than you owe on the car. The Gap insurance wouldn't have helped with the added costs of the warranty and the lojack. Thats why in your situation where you put money down the gap insurance wouldn't do much for you.

It also depends on the policy whether they take add ons like warranties and lojack into consideration when they value. It may even vary by state.

I would be extremely surprised if it was not totalled based on the pics and your description. Your original assessment was correct, whenever you see problems with straightness and doors opening and closing on the opposite side from the impact you're looking at frame issues caused by the structure of the car being torqued. The decision whether to write off or repair isn't based only on the cost, its based on whether or not the insurance company wants to continue to insure the vehicle and your bodily well being after the repair. I personally would never feel safe in the car again after damage like that was repaired.

I'd put a lot of pressure on them to total it.

That may be a very real possibility, but wait and see.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 26 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]366756[/snapback]</div>
    i guess these things vary by state law but in WA if its deemed 100% fault of other driver (pretty rare) as was in my case, the other insurance company must pay "REPLACEMENT" value. that means you had a new car, they owe you a new car.

my 2004 #1 cost me $22,000 out the door. i drove it 25 months put 28,000 miles on it. the other insurance company paid for my 2005 toyota corolla rental for 3½ weeks and gav me a check for $23,800 because that is what it would cost to replace my two year old Prius. granted, supplies are better now and deals can be made, but new car is new car.

ps, i had my accident Aug 8th, received my settlement check on Sept 20th. which was a week after i had purchased my replacement 2006 so this was all fairly recent

17. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrv @ Dec 25 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]366590[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and this is very true. Folks, if someone hits you, GET A LAWYER. GO TO A CHIROPRACTOR and get X-Rays and an exam. I was rear-ended last year in my 1988 Civic, which was totalled (the guy was going an estimated 30mph when he hit me, I was stopped in traffic). All my treatment was paid for thanks to my lawyer.

Dave

18. ilovemyprius

ilovemyprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Dec 25 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]366618[/snapback]</div>

You should get exatly what you paid for your car. My 10 month old 2006 was totaled in Oct and I got exactly what I paid minus $400. The car had 10K miles on it. Just be patient. It took me over a month to agree on a price of the car, but we agreed and I think it was fair.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 26 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]366769[/snapback]</div>
    Thats absolutely a state specific law. Thats not the case in any of the states I have any knowledge of (MD, DC, VA, NJ, DE).

Well, you don't want to go to a chiropractor but you do want to go to an orthopedist.

20. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Dec 26 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]366789[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to disagree with you pal, but my sister and her husband were in a front end collision and they all went to a chiropractor and are all fine today. My back and neck were torqued pretty good after I was rear ended, they are perfect today. A good chiropractor, along with physical therepy, can and will repair the damage done in a wreck. If you don't go to a chiropractor, you won't get better. I have friends who were in car accidents years ago and still have acute pain now and then as they didn't see a chiropractor.

Dave