1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius is too "cool."

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by web1b, Jan 31, 2012.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

I have set up heat sensors outside my house for both security and for convenience of having the house's exterior lighting light up as I drive home on a dark night without having the lights on all night long on either a timer or dusk to dawn light sensor.
    It works great when anyone walks by on foot or drives by the house after dark, but when I drive my own car by, it doesn't trip the heat sensor except maybe 1/3 of the time if I drive by the house at certain angle. I can walk by the house at the same spot in the road and it trips the sensor 100% of the time.
    I assume it must be a weak heat signature coming from the car. Kind of annoying.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would not complain if a Maverick was trying to lock on to your heat signature! :eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. web1b

web1b Active Member

I just though of something. Maybe the sensor's detection areas are pointing a bit too high and the Prius is riding underneath undetected. Any adult person walking by would be taller than the Prius and the heat coming off their heads would trip the sensors. I assume this was not a problem with all the other cars driving by because the other vehicles have such a huge wake of heat coming off them that residual heat still trips the sensor no matter what.
    I will try adjusting the sensors this weekend to point a bit lower so they will be aimed closer to the level of the engine compartment of the Prius this weekend and see if it helps.
    The downside of this is, even it works, it will reduce range of the sensors.
    I had conventional motion sensors before these new heat sensors, but I had to get rid of them because they would constantly be tripped by rain and branches moving in the wind. The new detectors are so much better in every way except for detecting my own car.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And to think our government spends billions on Stealth Technology! I use a combination heat and motion. When the Santa Annas blow, the lights are on more than not! That being said, they will turn when a Coyote runs through the back! If it's lit, and no wind, somethings out there!

5. badbob47

badbob47 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My brother calls my Prius "the stealth car" because he never knows when I pull up in his driveway unless he sees me.:D

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you need to warm up the engine prior to passing your house lol.

7. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe you could fit a flame thrower? :flame::flame::flame: