1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius - One week of ownership and lessons learned so far

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusLoverTexas, Dec 11, 2013.

1. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tomorrow will be one complete week of owning a 2013 Prius V. There are many features I have discovered so far - some of them exceeding my expectations and some not. I just want to share my thoughts:

My earlier car was (still is) 2005 Toyota Matrix. Nothing fancy - just a normal dependable car

1. Visibility: The visibility of Prius sucks compared to my Matrix. Before buying the Prius, I test drove nearly 25 different cars from Civic to Volt (yeah I know its a lot!) and I still feel my Matrix has probably best all round visibility. Prius comes in at last
    2. Engine sound: No other car (at least ICE car) beats Prius in this :) Of course volt was similar too but I kind of like 'spaceship' sound of prius
    3. Space: A big + here for Prius. The legroom in backseat is amazing for what is classified as compact car. It easily bests all other cars I test drove. For me space is added bonus since I wasn't particular about it
    4. High tech gadgets: Now I wasn't used to any of high tech gadgets in my Matrix, so most of them are new to me. This is how I feel about various techno goodies:
    LED Headlamps & washers: A big +. Really makes a difference the moment you turn it on compared to normal halogen in Prius 2-4
    HUD: OK - Its nice to have but probably not as useful as I thought it would be
    LKA/DRCC: A big + but may not be fully reliable
    Power seats/Softex: Big +
    Navigation: OK - Not as useful as I thought
    Smartkey: A big +. I don't know how I could live without it
    Entune: OK - Had a lot of expectations but failed to live up to it
    JBL greenedge: Certainly better than normal audio system but nothing exceptional either

5. Driving manners/power: Contrary to what I read in many forums, it is a pleasure to drive Prius. Yes, the steering is numb and response is not much and it drives like an appliance, but I don't care much about these things. Before this car, I was all set to own a 2013 Mini S but dropped the idea in last minute after looking at its long term reliability. I realized that even if I bought the mini, I wouldn't be driving at insane speed anyway. Maybe once in a while, but for that I am not ready to sacrifice reliability and spend 100s of $ on repairs

Prius C vs Liftback
    I did compare Prius C vs liftback. The prius c certainly looks sportier but inside looks very cheap and liftback simply drives better and has more gadgets. Also since my other car is Matrix, the C almost look like the Matrix. Hence decided against it

Volt vs Prius
    I did test drive the volt at local chevy dealership. My initial impression was that it drove very well like any other normal car and didn't feel much like a hybrid (I wanted a car that drives like a hybrid and not like normal car). The interior was well made and nice materials and cabin looked upscale. Finally it all boiled down to this calculation:

1. Volt is untested
    2. I don't have too much trust on GM brand though their reputation has improved a lot recently
    3. Read some horror stories in kbb, edmunds where car value depreciated by 45% in < 2 yrs
    4. Owning a car didn't fit my overall budget and leasing didn't fit my monthly payment
    5. Prius should give better mileage for my driving habits (conversely I live in an apartment and charging everyday will be difficult)
    6. Trust in toyota brand and reliability based on previous experience

Cars that I test drove
    I considered various cars over last 3 months and test drove all of them and almost bought one (Mini S) before settling in for Prius. I like hatchbacks, wagons and coupes. These are the cars I test drove:
    Toyota: Prius C, Rav4
    Honda: Civic, Accord, CR V
    Nissan: Versa note, Rogue, Juke
    VW: Passat, GTI
    Mini: Mini cooper, S
    Fiat: 500, 500L
    Chevy: Cruze, Volt
    Ford: Fusion, focus hatchback
    Mazda: 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback, Crossover
    and some used cars

I know there is no definite pattern - I have been test driving from subcompact to midsize. The reason was our requirements were simple: Get a fun cool car with techno goodies that fits 2 or more people with some luggage space. Anything extra was a bonus

I guess after all this research, it boiled down to Mazda 3 2014, ford focus hatchback, mini/GTI, Prius. Mini/GTI was ruled out because of its unreliability and expensive maintenance. We ruled out Ford focus (though very nice car) since it very much resembled matrix. In end it was two horse race between leasing Mazda 3 2014 or buying preowned Prius for same monthly payments and prius won because of sheer cool factor in driving a hybrid and all the techno goodies that comes with it.

Buying experience
    Once we figured out that we are getting a Prius, I used cars.com and cargurus.com to search for the right car with right package. Initially I was looking at 300 mile radius from my place and then when I didn't find the package I wanted (Five with AT), I started looking at neighboring states and finally country wide. This process had a lot of ups and downs since I would find the right car somewhere and by the time I start interacting with the salesman, the car would be sold. This happened quite a few times. But thankfully I never gave up and finally ended up finding the right car right here in my state!

This sums up my experience of owning the prius. Sorry for the long post :)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Someone definitely did their homework! ;)

Sure beats one of those "I made a huge mistake" threads that pop up every so often.

SCH-I535

3. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Glad you're happy with the car. That's sometimes more important than anything else.

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you are enjoying your car. Did you seriously consider all the cars you test drove, of was the vehicle search a good excuse to test drive anything that interested you? (In which case you should have added Corvette and a few others to the list.)

5. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Actually I considered all the cars I test drove :D

For a long time, our first choice was getting a mini cooper mainly because of its styling and performance. I test drove quite a few and almost decided on buying one. But later when we read how expensive the maintenance would be, we decided against it and started looking at other cars. At one point, we thought we will stick to sedan/coupes and started test driving from different brands. After that we realized sedan is not for us (we like the utility of hatchback and compact wagons). Then we started test driving hatchbacks. In the end, the consumer report magazine helped us decide on the dilemma. For Prius I saw reliability in last 10 years was rated 'much above average' for all 10 years - something that I did not see even for a civic. That helped us decide on Prius

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I had to leave my Prius at the dealership I was given a Matrix as a rental. I can tell you I honestly felt The Prius a superior machine, vehicle and driving experience on almost all fronts. Once you get used to the smoothness and quietness of a hybrid, a singularly ICE driven vehicle can seem almost heathen.

I would also say, The Prius isn't technically classified as a compact, Toyota is rather proud of the fact that The Prius is classified a Mid-Size.

My previous vehicle was Honda Fit. Which was a really nice compact hatch-back.

I would say, I bought The Prius knowing about some peoples issues with "visibility". The rear window visibility is not great in a Prius, especially compared to The Honda Fit which was excellent. But, in my opinion the visibility isn't nearly as bad as I had heard.

Some things that really help in that area, are that I'm NOT opposed to using those convex blind spot mirrors. I put blind spot mirrors on both driver side mirror and passenger. Couple that with adjusting your mirrors properly and I seldom if ever have any issues with visibility. If you have a family and are constantly using the back-seat, then this option may not work. But I also keep the rear headrests folded forward and only put them upright when I have passengers in the back. I know this won't work, wouldn't be a viable option for many people.

Honda had headrests in the rear of The Fit that fit into the seat backs themselves. I wish Toyota would adopt a similar rear seat headrest design for The Prius. If upright (normal) the headrests now simply act as huge blind spot producing obstacles to rearward visibility. If you can afford to keep the headrests forward? It really helps direct rear visibility. I suppose you could also simply remove the headrests, but I don't like the idea of storing them, and/or not being "ready" if I suddenly have to pick up or transport passengers.

Good Luck with your new Prius.

PriusLoverTexas likes this.
  7. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't the Volt actually an electric car with a built-in generator, not a hybrid?

8. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ^ yeah, I think they call it range extended electric vehicle. As I understand its not a hybrid and ICE acts as a generator. On flip side, it takes premium gas

9. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad you like your new Prius! I have owned mine about six weeks now and can relate to some of your thoughts.

I test drove a GTI, Beetle convertible, and Mini (regular and S) before I ended up with my Prius last month. I've been driving German cars for ten years before the Prius but, being a seasoned German car owner, I know how finnicky they can be, especially in terms of minor electrical issues. I never had any major mechanical issues with German cars, but even the seemingly simplest repair was always $$$$ to fix. I really liked how the GTI and Beetle handled, but wasn't sure it would be worth the tradeoff for fuel and maintenance down the road.

I thought I would love the Mini, but I felt like the non-S version was a complete waste of time. It seemed to really lack power and took a surprising amount of effort to motor around, considering how small it is. I thought both the regular and the S were both pretty rough rides, too. The dealer told me it was the sport suspension, but my A4 had sport suspension (s-line) and it was nowhere near as rough as the Minis. I also remember my '99 new beetle being a very smooth ride compared to the minis, and I think they might be on the same chassis. Maybe the beetle weighed more? Also, though I know a lot of people LOVE how customizable the Minis are, I thought having to pay extra for what I thought were standard features these days (like a car alarm/blinking theft deterrent light) was kind of off-putting. One thing I thought was interesting about the minis is they have a Japanese engine (the spec sheets listed country of origin/manufacture for the various parts). Do BMWs have Japanese engines these days, too?

I can't say the visibility in the Prius has bothered me, since I'm coming from a convertible with giant, blind spot C-pillars from the top. If anything, I think the blind spot for me is near the driver's side A-pillar. I think the split on the liftback is kind of nice in terms of blocking headlights, though I have an auto-dimming mirror that could be helping with my perception of that as well.

10. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I guess we both went through the similar process before buying Prius :)
    I agree with your thoughts on Mini - Even I felt the ride was kind of rough even though it has sport suspension. The S was pretty zippy - I think it pumps in 180hp with 184 pound ft of torque. As I recall, the current mini has Renault (or Citroen?) engine. From next model year, it will be BMW engine. I saw the official release of 2014 mini and I didn't like the design. Some of the features like large center speedo, two way knobs etc. gave the feeling of mini being a different car and in a different league. The next generation makes it look more like any other normal car and design.

11. pwrstick

pwrstick Junior Member

How closely did you look at the Mazda 3? Did it really just come down to payments? I'm intrigued by all the techno stuff that comes with it for cheaper than a loaded Prius. Just test drove one today and it was pretty sporty and fun.

And I also like hatch backs/wagons for their utility, but after driving the Prius the Mazda3 almost seems TOO small. Granted it is a compact.

Other than that the subarus have caught my eye... But I do like the Prius!

12. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I did like the Mazda 3 2014 hatchback. In fact if I didn't buy Prius I would have gone for it. The one I was interested in was 2.5s Grand touring with all bells and whistles that came to around $27k something. It did have techno goodies like HUD, BSMS, nav, LED headlamps etc. I don't think it had adaptive cruise and LKA though. One thing I miss in Prius is Blind spot monitoring system

13. pwrstick

pwrstick Junior Member

I too hope the BSM comes to the Prius. I really love that feature.

As for the 3 I've been mulling over how flimsy the cargo area was, even in the 2.5 s Grand Touring. I really do use the cargo for some heavier loads (like furniture), and that piece of felt covered cardboard that covers the spare tire just doesn't feel like it's going to hold up over the next 10 years. Makes sense if you just wanted some occasional luggage handling ability that it would work for you, but I like how the Prius has a thick piece of plastic that can take some weight.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts! One more question if you don't mind - have you been using your dynamic cruise control any more since you made the original post? I really like the idea of it and I'm on the freeway quite a bit.

14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's genuinely an electric car in that it can apply its full power through its traction motor (with no danger of the ICE kicking in from a heavy application of the accelerator pedal.
    In certain modes at certain speeds it *does* link the engine to the wheels through a power split arrangement. Mostly its use of the ICE can be described as "serial hybrid".

15. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting. So if the battery is low and the ICE is on to provide charge and going up hill the ICE may aid in propulsion? Are there any mpg improvement driving methods when the ICE is basically supplying the power as with the Prius?

16. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I have been using DRCC mode quite regularly now. In fact, just yesterday I made a 400+ mile trip and mainly in DRCC mode with LKA. There were few things things I discovered:
    1. LKA does not work very well during lane merge and split and gives false alarms
    2. DRCC does not work well at curvy roads and harsh weather
    3. The lane steering assist feature works quite well under normal conditions
    4. The master warning light comes on if I remove hands from steering wheel for 4-5 seconds

What I couldn't understand was why DRCC cancels under 25 mph. I imagine it is some safety feature but couldn't understand what it is

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I love the interaction between ICE and battery. After nearly 8 years after driving, it has become a second nature to squeeze efficiency of both fuels/propulsion systems.

It is something you cannot get from a single propulsion vehicle like a regular gas car or a BEV.

18. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I believe that's a Federal regulation which requires cruise control to disengage at low speeds.

19. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've had my 2013 Prius for a couple of months now and your post rings true with me as well. I find it a very comfortable ride, a very enjoyable experience which I'm glad I purchased.

Unlike you I find the HUD indispensable. Since it can show the power/hybrid gauge, I can switch the eyebrow display to show the 5 minute usage summary. I get more info which helps me to get the best mileage.

Plus, when navigating the HUD will show the turn and distance of the next turn so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. Big safety feature.

I just went through my first snowy day so I had a chance to evaluate the handling. I'm coming from a 4WD Highlander so I have a bit of experience with tough weather driving. The Prius handled surprisingly well. The rear end swing was very controllable and the traction control engaged at the proper time although a lot more often than it did on my Highlander. The B transmission mode was very helpful in regulating the speed on slippery downhill runs.

Braking is close to a standard car braking so it wasn't hard to modulate the pressure to avoid skidding. I didn't have any trouble at all with the regen braking feel when I first got the Prius and that continued during the snowy weather.

The split rear hatch is a bit disconcerting still. I still haven't figured out which window to look out. :cool: But the steep slope of the hatch does accumulate a lot of snow so I was on the wiper a lot. It's pretty puny so rear visibility was a bit limited sometimes. I do miss heated side mirrors to clear off the snow.

PriusLoverTexas likes this.
  20. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There's no federal law that prohibits cruise control speeds below 25 mph. BMW has it as does Jeep to name but two. Toyota chose the less expensive method and opted not to allow the system to stop and go while engaged.

Maybe GenIV will be updated to include it.