1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius Review: I HATE THIS THING!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by digital_griffin, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess the tone of my reply was not well broadcast: I recycle all rechargeable batteries, but I believe most people simply toss them in the trash. Since your home's garbage (and most offices' garbage) goes into sanitary landfills and not hazardous waste landfills, the nickel in those batteries will be made "available" to the local groundwater. Not exactly the most "environmentally-friendly" scenario, and certainly much less valued than the $300 credit to us for recycling a Prius battery.

2. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A lot of discussion in this thread:

What got lost with the op's credibility in this issue is:

1 The Prius is his WIFE'S car, not his...and apparently HER choice, not his. I want to hear what SHE says...and what SHE says about his 'vette and Sebring convertible.

2 Comparing the Prius to a Corvette (waste of money and a rattle trap), Sebring convertible (wonder why Chrysler will go belly up...it's crap), a BMW (no less...come on...a Prius vs a BMW...now that's a stretch) and others is a waste of time. There is no comparison aside from the Honda Insight...and the Prius wins hands down.

3 Stating that the op would rather purchase a VW TDI...what a joke that is. Have fun with the NO RELIABILTY factor of a VW. Yes, my daughter has one and basically it is a German piece of crap. It's forever one thing after another...and the vehicle is 5 1/2 years old with ONLY 15K miles on it. And the dealer/repair facility is run by a Nazi who overcharges (times two) what my Toyota dealer charges for service.

4 I had a 2005 Prius with 46,000 miles on it. I averaged between 52 and 55 mpg EXCEPT in the dead of Chicago winters, where it dropped to the mid to uppper 40's. I have no idea how YOU drive to get the kind of mileage you are talking about. I traded the 2005 Prius in on a new 2010 Prius IV. The 2005 Prius had the original OEM tires on it. Sure, I needed new tires badly, but I got to 46,000 miles on one set of tires.

5 I find it incomprehensible that you get the mileage stated from your other vehicles. Every American made car I have driven barely gets 20 mpgs.

6 I didn't buy my Prius to "make a financial killing". If I wanted to do that I would have bought a Yaris, a Fit, some piece of crap cheap Kia, or an Elantra. I wasn't looking to buy the cheapest car around and figure out the diffence from that to the Prius and how much gas I would need to save to break even. I was looking to buy a car in the $25,000 range with the amenities that I wanted and needed and it happened to be a hybrid as well with Toyota reliability.

7 Speaking of reliability, I have owned 6 Toyota's and 3 Lexus'. I had a few problems with the Lexus (heated seat had a short in it, some minor maintenance issues), but never had a non-scheduled repair with the Toyota's. As a matter of fact, the 2005 Prius had only regular oil changes and tire rotations (with a cabin filter and air filter thrown in for good luck). I am not a car repair do it yourselfer. I need reliability in my vehicle so I don't spend untold hours at the dealer for repairs. Toyota fits that bill nicely for me.

8 Owning a Prius changed how I drive. I feel its always me vs the Prius. I am always pushing for the extra mpgs. Coast to the light now. Reduce the accelerator when going downhill. Paying more attention to the posted speed limit. I now do that when I drive my daughter's VW or my wife's Lexus. I think the Prius has made me a better and smarter driver.

9 I still feel like I am a part of saving energy by not wasting fuel consumption AND doing my part in trying to "save the planet" by using a vehicle with reduced emissions.

10 Finally, if ALL cars were hybrids and got even twice the mileage they are getting now with a 90% reduction in greenhouse gases, wouldn't we ALL be better off? Would it matter if it was a Prius, an Insight or even your 'vette? Isn't that the REAL purpose of driving a Prius?

1 person likes this.
  3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't give credence to statements like "I got 25-30 MPG on my __________."

A range of numbers like that means the fuel economy was never regularly tracked, but the person making the statement remembers a couple of numbers once calculated. The question: Why did that person calculate mileage those couple of times? The answer: Because he/she was expecting a particularly good number. The effect: Someone mistakenly believes those one-time measurements represent the actual mileage numbers for the car.

Calculations like these happen, usually, when someone is on a road trip. What is missing is the measurement of city mileage for a non-hybrid vehicle, and, necessarily, that measurement would be considerably lower than the highway mileage for that non-hybrid.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Evan points out, the financial incentive for recycling a Prius battery is just a bit higher. Even existing lead-acid car batteries are pretty well recycled, now that there is a deposit on them and landfills won't take them.

More importantly, most Prius batteries are replaced by a dealer, where battery recycling is a standard part of the program.

Tom

5. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow.... 13 pages huh? I was gonna talk about how I had an 08 HCH that I got out of because I had a lot of remorse and regrets with it... totally different car of course, but similar situation.

Seems kind of pointless now though. :D

6. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda think you liked it when you posted this:

Average MPG after 110,000 miles
    We bought a 2005 Prius in August 2005. It has been 4 years, and in that time we have put 110,000 miles on her.

I average somewhere between 50, and 60 MPG. My last tank has been 55MPG with 90% of the miles on 65+ MPH highway driving.

My most interesting record is 100+ MPG for ~10 miles doing 60+MPH. That's right, over 100 MPG at over 60MPH for ten whole minutes. I was sitting in the wake of a trailor going down a a small 1% grade.

I do not coast, or impulse drive. And I very rarely, if ever, drift behind trucks.

There is zero modifications to the car. In matter of fact, it's been abused somewhat. It has 4 dents, and the front air dam, and rear air dam lip (under the bumper) has been ripped off. (My wife tried forcing the car over an icy hill)"

7. digital_griffin

digital_griffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :rolleyes: I don't want to come from a position of higher intelligence authority. I knew well in advance that only a small portion of the nickle used in the Prius came from that now "clean" plant. And use the term "clean" loosely as "clean" is relative compared to what it used to be. Making nickle at any plant is still a dirty process.

I say use google because it's a common source from which everyone can use. However if you dig into reports from the EPA/CEPA about soil analysis around Nickle plants you will still find highly elevated levels of sulfur, arsinic, and a few other really nasty chemicals in the ground around all these refineries. (Not to mention airborne particulates) A lot of the countries where nickle is refined Do not have the same EPA standards as the US. In terms of pollution control it goes Europe/US->Canada->Rest of world. (I believe ~40% comes from Canada)
    Laterite deposits are typically located on the surface. Surface sources means STRIP MINING.

Again the amount of land that must be processed is enormous for those 33kG. Surface sources through laterite are not dense. So again you really have to decide. Which is better, dumping CO2 by burning gas, or dumping Sulfur, Arsenic, sometimes Mercury, and few other nasty chemicals + Initial refining energy. It's a trade off.

Sources of nickle in the US commonly come from refining copper/platunum ores. It's a freebee. Sort of like refining gasoline is almost a freebee cost wise (and hence why it's so cheap). Even if everyone stopped using gasoline (neglecting the fact China would gleefully suck up the extra we stopped using, and burn it in even more polluting ways) , oil refining of almost the same amount of barrels would take place. (Other demands for oil besides gasoline you know) Yes I'm taking into account Light Sweet (commonly used for gas) and heavy varieties. You would just have slightly more unused product. Even with Light sweet, only a portion of the total barrel goes to gasoline production. The rest that is used, is made into other products because it can't be transformed into gasoline. Admittingly light sweet gasoline portion of oil can be catalytic cracked into other products. But not all of it. Either way you are still using near the same amount.

Straight nickle ores in the US doesn't happen. Why? Because the rest of the world (excluding europe) can do it cheaper! Why? Because they don't have the EPA regs we do. Sources of nickle from the rest of the world aren't so lucky when it comes to environmental regs and their sources of where it's found. Even if we stopped using our own nickle, the refining would still be here in the US due to copper/platinum refining. BTW: What percentage of Prius batteries nickle come from the US refineries?

Sitting there and saying, "I only smoke 1 cig a day, while that guy smokes 2 packs" really is a moot argument. You are still killing yourself. So what's your poison? Nickle refining or CO2?

As to the corvette, weight is everything. The base vette's steel frame is a whopping 147.7 kg. The body panels are SMC. The engine is aluminum. Even the engine cradle is Mg alloy, not steel. I believe that's less than your prius. The Z06 and ZR1 frames are even less. They are made from *gasp* Aluminum. Oh BTW: >97% of waste generated at the plant is recycled.

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    +1

Not only is the OP a troll, he's also clueless...

9. digital_griffin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was kind of my point with the original post. The Prius is an A/B car. Problem is not everybody is an A/B person. If that were teh case everybody would drive Priuses, SMART cars, and ride public transit to work. You can't expect them to conform to that. Like I can't expect you to only use the net as a productivity tool and not for entertainment purposes.

If this is the future of all automobiles through CAFE, you're going to have a lot of people like me who loathe them. Serious improvements in the technology need to be made. It just cost too much.

You need to give people incentive to switch on their own.

The prius sacrifices too much. There is no incentive, only loss in the minds of most people. If you made no sacrifices, just about every car would be a hybird, because there is no loses, and only gains of reduced gas usage. (Putting the nickle argument aside)

Now if you made gas $5+/gallon...there would be your incentive. The prius at least becomes more cost effective then. You trade performance/interior for savings in gas money. The people who would get hit hardest the most are the ones who waste the most gas. Heavily taxing gas worked in England. It also gave them a healthy tax income source. But I'm digressing from my post: The prius still stinks compared to the average family car.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are aware that a century of operation at the INCO Sudbury facility was primarily to meet AMERICAN nickel/steel demand?

1 person likes this.
  11. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    and what might those "average" family cars be?

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh don't give me that tripe. We know that you Canadians are really NICKEL PUSHERS. If it wasn't for your evil influence, Americans wouldn't have this terrible nickel habit.

:rolleyes:

;)

Tom

2 people like this.
  13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He's a troll.

Done. Finished. Finite. Out of here, already. Before he brings up the 'fact' that driving a Hummer is more environmentally friendly than driving a Prius.

14. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Fair Enough you had your say, why not go check out the 2010 and then see what you think. Like everything it get's better over time.

But as you said Your entitled to your Opinion...

Thanks!

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what we really need is a writeup from the person WHO ACTUALLY DRIVES THE CAR!!

My SO also hated the Prius, but more from ignorance than anything else. well, her car became too unreliable (22 years can do that to a car!!) so i forced her to drive mine (did that by not lending her money to get another car!!) and i bought the Zenn. (actually had bought it about 3 months before since i knew her car was on its last legs despite her claims to the contrary)

that was 19 months ago... she now swears she will not drive any other kind of car... PERIOD

16. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't expect a Prius to handle like a sporty car. There are tons of cars out there that claim to be "sporty" and yet have very little power or even overall performance but the makers say they are sporty because that particular model is a bit sportier than the other trims. And then there are cars which say they are a sport which actually have awesome cornering, decent power and a sporty look...

.... The Prius makes absolutely no such claims, in fact it's purpose in life is to be economical while providing owners with some cargo space and reasonably decent power. It's done that very well so it really doesn't compare to econobox subcompacts as they have very little to no cargo space, 0 people moving ability and still have very little power.

17. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Smart SO, you should keep her. Once people drive it I cannot understand how they could go back. I hated driving my Sport Trac even for a short period after I purchased my old 2005 Prius. I felt like I was driving a tank!

18. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In addition to getting higher gas mileage, there’s good safety news about three 2010 small cars – including two hybrids - from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
    The Honda Insight and Toyota Prius hybrids and the Kia Soul all received the Insurance Institute’s top rating of Good (on a scale of Good, Acceptable, Marginal and Poor) in front, side and rear crash testing. They are all going to be Top Safety Picks. To be a Top Safety Pick, a vehicle has to earn good ratings in all three tests and must offer electronic stability control...

Hybrids Score High in Crash Safety - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

19. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go buy a Ford and find a friend to talk too.. Dont feed the troll

20. digital_griffin

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't say that. And I'm not that stupid. I wanted to avoid the whole environmental debate because tree huggers want to believe they are doing good. Telling them their efforts at this stage are worthless I will admit is slap in the face. Even if it's the truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.