1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius saved me from a serious accident

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by jtg61, Dec 10, 2016.

1. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My Prius saved me from a serious accident. I was driving at 45 mph up to a traffic light when some idiot turned left right in front of me. I don't understand why he didn't see me because I have a 2016 Interstellar Red Prius Eco with my daytime running lights on. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him and the Prius stopped on a dime, smooth as can be without a skid. I was more impressed with the Prius than mad at the idiot driver. The emergency braking ability of the Prius is amazing. Thankfully the driver behind me was paying attention and didn’t crash into the back of me. I hope I didn’t flat spot my LRR tires but I’m thinking the ABS didn’t lock up the tires to flat spot them. If you haven’t had to slam on the Prius brakes yet to avoid an accident, be assured in the knowledge that they will stop you on a dime if you can react in time. My Prius saved me from a serious accident.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the report, glad you are okay!(y)

jtg61 likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'l glad to hear you avoided an accident but one shouldn't be surprised by the cars' braking ability because every driver should periodically practice braking to the limit. It's a known phenomenon that some drivers will actually release the brake pedal when they feel for the first time the unfamiliar hard pulsing of ABS activating and collide with the object they were trying to avoid.

jtg61 and RCO like this.
  4. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got away from something like this. People are driving crazy now days. I got hit twice waiting for the green light .it can happen to anybody.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jtg61 likes this.
  5. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you're safe & sound mate!

This week, I was driving in the city around 20mph and there is a car momentarily stopped in traffic but was about to move away again. As I approached, my Gen 4's sensors made it believe I was at risk of crashing into that car, and even though I was slowing down with the foot brake, my Gen 4 added some extra effort to the braking process, which was not an emergency stop but was a noticeable form of assistance.

I can't remember what the formal acronym is on the Gen 4, but useful to know it's there to step in.

RCO, Dragon Rider and jtg61 like this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010+ cars in my household (Prius and another brand) don't exhibit that old-fashioned ABS hard pulsing. Their ABS's are much smoother than on my previous late-20th Century car.

The BA (Brake Assist) in my Gen3 Prius is excellent at detecting a panic brake event and maximizing the stopping power. On dry pavement, it almost feels as if it is trying to pull the pavement up from the roadbed. Gen4 ought to be at least as good, if not better.

RCO and jtg61 like this.
  7. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent description. It was a super smooth, fast and almost instantaneous stop from 45 mph down to a dead stop. No skid or skid noise whatsoever. I wasn't aware of the BA (Brake Assist) technology but it sure works well that saved me, and more importantly, the passenger side door I was about to go crashing into. Although the other car and driver don't realize it, the Prius stopping ability saved them as well.

RCO likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota calls it PCS "Pre-Crash Safety System". If the system detects a potential front crash, it warns on the screen plus a buzzer, and increases brake pressure - if no driver action is taken, it then applies the brakes itself.

I've noticed that the couple of times it has displayed the warning and buzzed, and I've braked, the brakes are quite savage, with them pre-primed for action. I'm not convinced the brakes are any better, if as good as, my last 2 cars, both small FORDs with low profile more sport type tyres (Continental, I think).

Read about it in your MANUAL - in index under PCS.

RCO likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PCS and BA (Brake Assist) are different systems. OP could well have triggered the BA before the PCS system decided to go on alert or take its own preemptive action.

RCO likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder about BA - there is only a 2 line mention of BA in the manual - but 14 pages on PCS. I suspect that PCS triggers BA as well - I'd be surprised if they work independently of each other. My previous car indicated that ABS and BA systems were complimentary to each other, so PCS could well do too.

RCO likes this.
  11. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The other day I was at 60MPH and the guy leading a group of 4 or 5 cars slow up almost to a stop. For no reason. The brake light came on. me or the Prius locked up the front tires. Amazing braking at that speed. All was fine. I don't think my old Gen 2 would lock up the tires at that speed.

RCO, jtg61 and krmcg like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ABS should stop locking any tyres - a rolling tyre has far more traction (as well as control) than a locked up one.

RCO, fuzzy1 and jtg61 like this.
  13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When ABS was first becoming "a thing", Motorola semiconductor produced a brochure outlining what their IC did for it. For example, they mentioned that peak braking force occurs at a tire slip rate of around 30%. So their chip was set for that peak braking force slip rate. Even at that slip rate you can "steer around" the object you were about to hit.

Don't be too hard on the moron. We all make mistakes. I learned early on seeing IS NOT believing, believing enables seeing (as I turned left right in front of a car I did not believe was there)!

RCO and jtg61 like this.
  14. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everytime I try to Brake on my Gen 4 I don't fully trust those Brake . My dealer checked them they seen fine. It just feel like I going to hit the car in front of me . Maybe I am getting flash back cause I got hit twice waiting for the green light.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jtg61 likes this.
  15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Brake assist (BA) or emergency brake assist (EBA) works on how fast you press the pedal, not necessarily on how hard you press it.
    If you tap the brake pedal lightly but quickly, the EBA will operate, if you press the brake slowly but hard EBA will not activate.

16. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it locked up the wheels. I've done it a few times. Defiantly not a long skid. As to the ABS, my last car that had ABS, did the typical modulating the braking to the stopped wheel. I have been waiting for some snow to see how it behaves. So far no sign of the typical ABS chatter noise.

#16 Gen 2 Tom, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  17. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dragon, it think I know what your feeling. At times when applying the brakes there is a dance the between regen and running the ICE. It feels like a loss of braking. In my gen 2 it wasn't as noticeable. And then there is the transfer from regen the mechanical brakes at 3 MPH. Actually the gen 4 does this much better than my gen 2. But good news, when I went hard on the brakes at high speed, they worked well.

#17 Gen 2 Tom, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  18. jtg61

jtg61 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Upon further inspection, I noticed a 1/16th inch dusting of rubber on the back of my wheel wells so it definitely took some rubber off my tires and kicked it back on my wheel wells. There goes a few hundred miles of tread life off my tires. This shows that the ABS was moving the tires during braking since it threw the rubber on my wheel wells and didn't leave the rubber on the pavement with a skid mark.

19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah - a bit like playing the piano and the hammer velocity vs hammer force (and hammer hardness for those with poorly maintained pianos).

RCO and kithmo like this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed the same - I'm inclined to think that with GOOD tyres, not good economy tyres, that the brakes would behave more like a normal car. I tend to keep my cars for 3-4 yrs, and generally sell them about when they need new tyres - so I don't think I'll be trying it with "normal" tyres.

RCO likes this.