1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius started using oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kb0ou, Nov 20, 2017.

1. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

My Prius is a 2005 model, with 155k miles.
    It started using oil recently. It was not leaking anywhere.
    I changed the PCV valve that had not been touched (book says change every 30k)
    I did not see much change in oil consumption.

We were leaving on a trip so I dumped about 20 ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase...
    This is the recommended amount to put in an engine the size of the Prius.

We drove the Prius down to the Alabama coast (from Missouri), I checked the oil, a little dirty, same level as when we left the house???

Headed back home, got to Natchez, I checked oil, it was very dirty, same level

Stopped at a 10 minute oil change place and told them to put good synthetic oil and a filter change on it...

That Toyota has stopped using oil!!!!

My thoughts are that there may have been a valve seal leak, or a ring sticking on a piston.
    Whatever the problem was that was causing the oil use I think the Seafoam loosened up some debis, sludge, whatever and it caused the engine to stop using oil. ;)

Thank You Seafoam :)

John kb0ou

#1 kb0ou, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    uart likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How often do you change the oil? Since it's "so dirty" when you check.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what book says to change the pcv every 30k?

edthefox5, valde3 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just hope the seafoam has actually stopped the oil consumption.
    In my view, that might be a temporal solution.
    This is the reason. The seafoam, succeeded in removing all that crab for the meantime. As time goes on, the byproduct of combustion gases would accumulate on the valve stems, valves, etc. The problem returns. So, I think tour piston rings might have exceeded their tolerances. That engine might be a good candidate for an overhaul.

PS: Your hands should be crossed for now. Pray that's a permanent fix.

Dxta

johnjohnchu likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The OP did say they were driving a Pius LOL
    Spellcheck strikes again! :D

6. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

jc91006,
    I have been changing oil on the Prius at about the 10,000 mile mark. It usually is not very dirty,
    Due to oil consumption I had to add oil about every week before we took the trip to Alabama.
    Previous to the oil consumption issue I never had to add oil between changes.
    Note, the oil was "very dirty" from the seafoam cleaning the inside of the engine.

bisco,
    The Book is Haynes Number 92081 "Toyota Prius 2001 thru 2011 All models"
    On page 1-22 item 21 which has to do with the PCV valve the header says to do a hose check and PCV replacement every 30,000 miles or 24 months.
    I do not necessarily agree with the book. I had not even inspected the PCV or the hoses at 155k miles.
    I purchased a new PCV so I could just replace the valve when I got it out, I inspected the hoses and cleaned them.
    The old PCV looked okay, a little dirty, not bad. I think the valve could have been cleaned and reinstalled with no problems.
    I just wanted to make sure the PCV was not an issue with the oil consumption.

I think I will pull the PCV every now and then in the future and clean it/check it. Not sure how often.

bisco likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I'd second that. Of course, I had to download the scheduled maintenance guide, search it, and yeah: the expressions "pcv" or "positive" don't appear.

That sounds likely, something Seafoam might help with.

How many miles have elapsed since this oil change? And I'd assume you checked the oil level immediately after the oil change?

#7 Mendel Leisk, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D:D:D:D

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

Well, as near as I can tell the oil consumption has stopped, we have put a couple thousand miles on the last oil change and the level of oil showing on the dip stick is staying put.
    Permanent,, My Wife gets those every now and then, they are not. Even a Toyota may not be Permanent.
    I hope I can see the odometer go a little more digits before I have to overhaul that little engine.
    Maybe at least wear out those Spark Plugs I put in a while back!! ;)

I did edit the Pius to Prius,,, sorry... :)

Dxta, Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I should apologize for poking fun.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    air filter every 30k?

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Chilton/Haynes is best left for kindling to start fires or emergency toilet paper.
    When you see the superiority of the Factory Service Manual, you will never go back.

Get the factory service manual from Toyota's TIS (Technical Information System) via the 2-day subscription ($15).

How to convert CHM to PDF

You are using full synthetic motor oil, not the blended crap, for your 10,000 mile OCI (Oil Change Interval)?

13. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

WOW!!!
    You guys are like a firing squad!!
    Yes Mr. Xstudent, I use FULL SYNTHETIC OIL, who would use anything else?? Especially on a Prius...
    AND yes I have the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, I like to read rags too, I'll keep the Hayes Thanks.

Mr. bisco,, who said anything about the AIR FILTER???????

Mr. Mendle,, I would never start my car or any other piece of EQUIPMENT after someone else supposedly change my oil without checking the oil level and looking under the engine, especially around the oil filter before I start the engine.
    I have employed a lot of people, trust is a earned thing.

I have worked on Nuclear Powered Submarines and a lot of other high valued equipment, been in Engineering all my working life.
    I hope someone finds some value in my post,
    This may help, if you have a oil consumption problem, with your Prius. No Guarantees are implied.

John kb0ou

Simbaboy, Screaming Red and uart like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for calling back.
    i did, because you said you change the pcv every 30k, which makes no sense (see my post #3). so i thought you might mean the air filter, which is the only thing the manual recommends every 30k.
    i will wait another 2 1/2 weeks for your reply.:)

15. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

Howdy from Missouri.......
    By the way, I did replace the Air Filter the other day, I had the air cleaner out so I thought that I might as well. The filter was somewhat dirty, not bad. Not sure when I replaced it last, did not look it up.

2500 miles on the oil change and the level has dropped!!
    When those guys in Alabama changed the oil it was about 1/8 inch (0.125") (3 mm) above full.
    Now it is exactly even with the full mark on the dip stick.
    I am not alarmed, will keep watching it.
    I don't like to fill the oil sump to FULL, I fill it about a 1/4 inch below full when I change the oil (I usually do change it myself).
    I will try to post when anything changes... ;)

uart likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1/8" in 2500 miles is nothing, could even be slight difference in slope. (y)

scona likes this.
  17. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

I am checking the oil when the car is sitting in my shop, level floor. Zero slope. But, it is Missouri...;)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our Prius is the first car that has so far (knock on wood) consumed no oil. Our decades of Hondas, at the outset they'd loose maybe a cup by the the next oil change, increasing to 2~3 between 100K and 200K km's. I just looked on that as normal.

A car that consumes no oil almost seems ominous; would a small amount of consumption actually be beneficial? An indication of slightly looser piston rings??

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, more likely the opposite.

#19 dolj, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. kb0ou

kb0ou Member

It would be nice to know what is causing the oil consumption in these Prius engines. It seems that a lot of them start using oil in the 140k to 160k miles area. I am sure this is why some engines have damage such as rod failure etc.
    I know that I failed to notice that our Prius started having a oil problem until the oil level was really low on the dip stick.
    I got lazy because the engine did not use oil for so long. Then suddenly started using oil.
    It will also be interesting to see if the Seafoam treatment will actually work for a while.
    The Seafoam treatment has slowed the oil use but not stopped it.

Oh, I need to make a correction...
    The miles above on the level check should have been 1500 miles. Not 2500 miles.
    Still not bad to have a small loss of oil in 1500 miles especially with it being over filled with oil.

John kb0ou

#20 kb0ou, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.