1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius tire mystery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Harry73, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Harry73

Harry73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So, I totaled my 2009 Prius a couple of weeks ago and just replaced it with a 2008 with fewer miles. It was listed as a Touring. I checked the struts and they were white and red, spoiler is bigger, HID lights, drives with stiffer suspension than my recently deceased Prius... so far so good. Then I noticed the tires. It appears someone has replaced the 16 in wheels with the regular Prius 15 in wheels. I hate those tires. Why they put a plastic edge on alloy wheels is beyond me.

Do you think someone changed them out to help with MPGs or give a slightly softer ride? I'm at a loss. It just seems so stupid. I hate the look of them. Help me feel better and not get buyer's remorse. o_O

I just checked the sticker on the inside of the car to see what tire specifications it listed. It indeed lists 15 inch tires. I'm so confused.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the motivation may have been to improve fuel economy. Or maybe the prior owner damaged some of the wheels and decided that it was less expensive to replace with 15" wheels/tires.

If this really bothers you so much, then spend $1K on a set of 16" wheels/tires, or return the car. Good luck.

3. Harry73

Harry73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It isn't so much the tires as much as I wonder if it is truly a Touring. I can always get new wheels... but I hate being duped!

4. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the title say? Mine says touring in the vehicle description

5. Harry73

Harry73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The title doesn't say it is a Touring, but then again there is no blank for a trim description either.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Well, the struts and the spoiler sound like they are correct. Those components plus the 16" wheels are the only differences between Touring vs. non-Touring.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Surely asking any dealer to look up the VIN will resolve the issue.

John (Britprius)

8. Harry73

Harry73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The dealer said they got their info straight from Toyota. I got it from Carmax. Is there a consumer contact number where I can check the VIN myself?

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Being from the UK I cannot help with a contact number, but here we can register with Toyota UK and get such information directly. There must be a similar organisation in the US, or alternatively contact Toyota customer services to see if they can help.

John (Britprius)

10. Harry73

Harry73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am going to try that, I was just hoping someone would have experience and know the direct line or verification procedure.

11. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure the dealer can tell. When I registered my Touring (I've got the wheels and spoiler, never checked the strut stripes) at the Toyota owner's site, it didn't show as a Touring. There have been a few people buy Prii from Toyota dealers that were listed as Tourings but were not.

That said, you've got most the important bits - the struts & spoiler. Wheels are the easiest to change. You might have luck fighting with Carmax, but I doubt it.

You might be interested to know that the Touring alloys also have plastic covers. I don't know why.