1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius uses the battery more than the Honda hybrid (civic)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Troy Heagy, May 29, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was watching a Wayne Gerdes tutorial video, he mentions accelerating while trying to keep the bar at 1/2 to 3/4. That all goes out the window when you encounter a steep hill, or have to get out someone's way, but hey.

And I'm not sure where he's coming from to say that, how much he's researched it. But he's cleanmpg's mpg guru.

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for the excellent demonstration of passive aggressive communication and the ad hominem fallacy.

I don't understand something, so instead of asking a question or educating myself, I'll make an unfounded accusation carefully worded so that later when its shown that I'm wrong I can claim I never made the accusation and attack those who demonstrated my wrongness.

Well done.

3. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that's the one I watched. If I moved back Florida I could get 60mpg easily. Lots of hills and Valleys here in Atlanta at the foot of the Smokeys.

4. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume, your car has already updated software recall.
    as I understand, the HV output is rampping up, down and flat during acceleration/pressing gas pedal where ICE kicks in more rpm at the end..
    I already change my habit, not to stay pressing gas pedal all the time, press and release slowly, and press again.. to minimize ICE kicking more power .

my commute driving is not flat road/highways mostly. At the moment, I already recorded my driving habit in my mind and know where to slow/fast/ready to stop.
    this takes 6 months to refine my Prius driving and still refining.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere here in the PC archives is a reference to some Toyota marketing person, outside the North America market, indicating that GenIII indeed would have produced a bit higher mpg with a new (not original) 1.5L engine instead of 1.8L. But we saw other indications suggesting that the larger 1.8L engine addressed numerous reviews and complaints characterizing the GenII as underpowered for most American tastes. The extra power was meant to expand its market appeal. This move worked for me and many others.
    The old 1.5L produced only 20% less power. A new 1.0L, maybe 40% less. For a car that can usually maintain steady highway speed on level road in good conditions with just 15-20 HP, that isn't anywhere enough shrinkage to make excess ICE power 'rare'. Gentle downhills, gentle deceleration, and city conditions will often, not rarely, require less than 6-8 HP.

Peak ICE efficiency is at the center of the dark spot in the frequently posted BSFC chart reposted by miscrms. ECO range is not solidly tied to RPM or power output, but is also a function of speed and some other factors.

Pulse & Glide does nor require flat roads. I tend to prefer a terrain-match version on mild hills, the ones too shallow to maintain speed by coasting. Pulse uphill, then glide across the top and down the other side. P&G can also be coordinated with stopsigns and stoplights, though this sort of blends into other methods such as DWB and light timing.
    ???

After what appeared to be some productive progress, why this?

#45 fuzzy1, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You are seeing aggression where none exists. Kinda like how certain people say, "Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi were trouble-makers," when in fact they did nothing to deserve being hosed-down by police (or arrested). No I'm not trying to claim I am at their level, but the fact is: I posted nothing aggressive in my first post, but you took offense anyway (see below):

Disagree. Yes Toyota outsells Honda. They outsell everyone (except GM). Honda is a small car company & Toyota is a behemoth, so I expect every Toyota car to outsell every Honda car. (Just as I expect Rihanna to outsell some small band like Radiohead.) As for design: The truth is they both get about the same MPG, so both approaches appear to have worked when it comes to getting ~70 on the CAFE score to avoid getting fined by the government.

In fact there really is No clear winner for "which technology is best?" Ford is following Toyota's design with the two-motor + CVT approach. Hyundai, Kia, and Volkswagen are following Honda's design with one motor providing assist (with options for regular transmissions like manual shift, automatic, direct-shift gearing (DSG) or belt drive). The market is still split between the two.

When I visit gaming forums I see people bickering over Microsoft or Sony..... who makes the better console. It often becomes very bitter. Well I silently giggle at the people sternly saying, "Microsoft is best and outsells Sony!" or "Sony is best with more games!" and so forth. I own both consoles, so I don't have to choose which one is better. Likewise I own both cars (Honda and Toyota). I don't have to choose which one is better, or the feel the need to say, "Honda is inferior," as you seem wont to do. :)

7. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hence the passive in your aggressive. If your post was simply to make an observation, "I noticed the Prius seems to use the battery more often than my old civic hybrid" then I would think that is what you would have said. Instead you begin with:

and only then proceed to your observation about the Prius using more battery:

The only logical reason for beginning with this otherwise irrelevant piece of information would seem to be to imply that the Prius is also artificially boosting its EPA test scores and/or abusing its battery even worse than the Civic Hybrid did. Without actually coming out and saying it, but likely aware that his manner of communication would tend to produce one of two outcomes.

1) Folks respond in a defensive manner to show the untruth of the claim, giving you the opportunity to attack them by saying you never made the claim, and they are just being defensive or
    2) Folks ignore you, in which case your unsupported claim gets to stand in the public eye as presumed truth.

This is in essence the nature of the logical fallacy. You engineer the conversation to "win" whether you are right or wrong. IMHO its pretty distasteful, disrespects the shared communal learning processes that this community thrives on, and is damaging to the community by leaving those who donate significant amounts of their personal time to this shared learning feeling less inclined to continue to be as generous with their time and knowledge in the future. All so you can avoid looking like you don't know what you're talking about by asking a question.

Rob

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rob,
    That is precisely why I never let one of his fallacy riddled posts go unchecked. I'm glad someone else has gotten on board with checking his posts besides me. I really think he gets some sort of satisfaction from doing these types of things. The main thing I think irritates him the most is if you ignore him. He is really not worth your time.

drysider likes this.
  9. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Aggression requires hate, and I don't waste my time hating inanimate objects like cars. They are appliances... nothing more.
    This discussion reminds me of a question/answer session I saw with an author. A reader stood up and said he was really impressed by all the hidden meanings, three-dimensional characters, commentary on world events, et cetera. The author responded: "I didn't do any of that. There are no hidden meanings in my novel. I just wanted it to be entertaining."

I have the same reply. I was not in any way bashing the Prius.

I am a simple man, and if I want to bash something, I just say it directly. Example: "Our last two presidents were lousy." Or "Volkswagen makes horrible engines." There. Simple and direct. I will admit: Oftentimes I will try to debunk the "Honda cars are shit" thesis that is prevalent on this forum among Honda-hating induhviduals.

Anyway now that I own both, I can directly compare/contrast the two manufacturers. Something many of ye have never done. Example: One prius poster said the insight is a horrible driving car..... and then admitted he never actually drove or even rode in one. That's pretty pathetic.
    No my friend, you are the one who set up a strawman (a guy who hates prius). That certainly isn't me: I'm not your strawman. I think the Prius is cool. Along with the Insight, the Volt, the Leaf, the Tesla, the new 1.0 engine from Ford, the straight-6 diesel, et cetera. I'm an engineer who appreciates technology.

10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EDIT I thought this was the other honda battery thread of yours I just posted to.

been searching for obscure posts here all day. sorry

#50 vvillovv, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  11. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well..... those saying Honda "abuses" the battery are not correct. Honda civics barely use the battery at all, while my Toyota prius is using the battery very often (or in the case of EV mode: constantly). Toyota makes far more use of the battery than Honda's Civic hybrid does.

12. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I suspect that how the battery is used might matter more than how often.
    The nature of the battery could also be a factor
    It we look at outcomes on traction battery reliability and life, Toyota seems to have a much better record than Honda.

13. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you! I've been waiting for some one to put this into a clear short statement. Some say "avoid battery use", I say "let the car decide".