1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius v (lowercase v) Mods

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Eric "v", Nov 17, 2014.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You almost realized the problem: that air that comes back out of yhe cylinder when the valves close late? It has been heated by the cylinder. While injen can sell you a cold air intake, it will not result in cold air.

2. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have naturally cold air here.

3. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    PC240535.JPG PC240534.JPG PC240535.JPG PC240534.JPG I will post both soon. I'll try for tomorrow for the CAI.

Here are the photos of the INJEN cold air intake with stainless heat shield, including my Cusco strut tower bar. As mentioned in another post I lined the heat shield with Dynamat type sound deadener and it did cut down induction noise. My daughter, who disliked the noise, says it is now "...much more mellow."

Except for the MAF attachment point, the entire CAI tube is wrapped with woven exhaust header wrapping and then painted over with silver exhaust paint. This is in attempt to keep the intake tube cooler.

#43 Eric "v", Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can see none of the other posters here have installed a CAI. And from that standpoint I must take their musings (mod note - some of which have been removed since this post was made as they added nothing of value other than to poke fun at you) very seriously.
    Well, thanks for your highly informed contributions gentlemen.

5. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

You can't sweat what other people say. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

I remember getting the same response when I installed one of these. And I couldn't be happier with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I had a k&n CAI on my Chevy cruze eco manual trans.

It is well known on the cruze fourms that the k&n CAI really does make a marked improvement in throttle response and sounds really good while doing so..... And I can attest to this statement.

There does not seem to be much if any info available about the benefits of a CAI on a prius, although by reading this thread it seems most everyone seems to think its pointless, I don't know why and have no imput on the topic.

Then again, as long as there is no ill effects to mounting one on the prius and what you are going for is the sound which I'll admit is pretty darn cool then I say go for it.

#46 Blizzard_Persona, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    From the INJEN site in the section describing the benefits of their Prius CAI product: "Specifically built for radical top-end power gains in high-performance autos". For a Prius?

My stock '12 v sucks air from the right side of the radiator where the air is cool.

The stock air filter filters dirt out of the air by trapping it. Would a "reusable, high-performance cotton-gauze air filter with a built-in velocity stack" do this with the same effectiveness as the stock replaceable filters? I don't see INJEN providing any evidence of this. Most of the filters used in aftermarket CAIs, in independent tests I've seen, don't. More dirt and bigger particles aren't good for the engine.

And generally, when you change the tune of a car, you give up something in one RPM range to gain something in another RPM range. The car makers seek a compromise based on the probable use of the vehicle. Tuners often try for the biggest HP, low end be darned.

Citing a gain at MPH as opposed to a gain at a specific RPM isn't usual.

Those who achieve results from their tuning generally post comparative dyno graphs so folks can see the effect on torque and HP over the entire range. Often the effective mods are numerous, involve intake, exhaust and ECU, and are very expensive per HP gained. With many false starts and replace this mod with that before they achieve the right balance.

Your car, your money, your choice.

8. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do it, post pics. :)

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    1960s CAI... Dual Solex 44PHH-2.JPG

Burna J likes this.
  10. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Haha, the ONLY way to get a 10HP increase out of free-flowing air intake is to match it with corresponding cat-back exhaust modifications, and then likely re-calibrate the AFR with a dyno tune. The mods and pictures are cute, and likely to give a slight increase in mpg, but the other claims are mostly in your head. I ride a 100+ HP Harley-Davidson and have invested nearly 10K in the motor and 10.5:1 compression ratio, so I understand a little bit about horsepower gains.

11. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1. A petrol engine is basically an air pump. I agree that "air in must = air out" in terms of free flow. OTOH I think the current OEM Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) exhaust can take a CAI in stride (i.e. accommodate a bit more exhaust flow) without needing modification.
    When I modded my '93 RX7 twin turbo on both ends I achieved a substantial horsepower gain (27 hp.). My tuned '95 Maxima gained 12 hp. AVERAGE from 2,500 RPM to 5,500 RPM.

I may just do a dyno pull on the Prius and post the graph. Then we all can know.

12. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One photo shows my aftermarket TPS system. The factory TPS is a true "idiot light", flashing only if a tire is lo, not indicating HOW low or WHICH tire it is.

My TPS tells me all this data plus tire temperatures and it rotates around all 4 tires, displaying each tire's data for 5 seconds.
    If a tire is above or below the parameters I've set I get both visual and audible warnings.

It's a safety thing and worth the extra money.

13. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Please tell us more about this discrete TPMS.

14. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought this TPMS at my local Discount Tire dealer when I had my new tires mounted on the new ENKIE RPF 1 rims. It's a all-in-the-valve type TPMS as is used on new cars.

The monitor has 4 removable "chips" on the left end that are labelled A,B, C, and D. They get moved when the tires are rotated so the correct readout is labelled on the display. You always know which tire is being displayed.

I can't remember the brand or cost but will post that tomorrow when I get a printout of the package from Discount Tire for insurance purposes.
    I'm totaling all my mods and insuring them.

Air_Boss likes this.
  15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was excited to hear that there is an intake for the v, then checked the Injen site and it is not listed specifically for the v. I realize that it may fit, but no matter what Injen notes that for newer Toyota/Lexus models their intakes will remove a carbon element and will fail CARB smog testing.

Sad to say I am not interested in something I have to swap out come smog time. (I'm also concerned with the loud sound.)

If colder intake air is coming in, I would have to say that there should be some power gain. Even if hot air is pumped back out the intake valves it would come into some contact with cooler intake air to net some cooling effect. 10 degrees seems significant to me. Problems arise from standstill as heat from the engine can sneak into the unsealed filter element, but moving...

I'm surprised you/the OP didn't bring up the fact that a lot of intake manufacturers, including Injen, have switched to/have optioned synthetic/dry media which have very good filtering properties, and no need for oil.

Thanks for sharing your mods with us! I noticed you used Gorilla brand locks on the wheels. You might like The System as it would make the nuts all locks and the one lock doesn't stick out like a sore thumb...

#55 jzchen, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Any update?

17. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Air Boss,
    The Discount Tire manager with access to the sales files just returned from vacation so I'll ask the name of the TPS this week and post here.

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks!

19. sean v4

sean v4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Eric v,
    do you mind posting of the side mirror with the 3m clear film? I did mine but the installer did not cover up to the edges... just kinda like 3/4 of the side mirros.

20. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    JZCHEN,
    Yep my Injen filter is dry media and is actually better at filtering for double digit micron level particles than oil/cotton media.
    Here in 'Vegas (with frequent 'Vegas valley thermal inversions) we have the same exact smog testing parameters as California and my INJEN CAI passes with flying colors.

Perhaps The People's Republic of California smog regs prohibit non-carbon filters and we don't. That's the only difference I could see.
    The smog test garage said, "As long as your "check engine" light does not come on you're OK." My dealer said the same thing regarding the v's warranty.

BTW, even with K&N oil media filters on our last four cars I have never, ever found a lowering of cylinder compression levels (I test them myself) even at 90,000 and 123,000 miles on two different vehicles. All vehicles always use synthetic oil. So far no "extra" wear is in evidence from these filters letting in too much dust.