1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius will not start after headgasket change

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mukhtiar, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Mukhtiar

Mukhtiar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I previously changed the entire drive train in my 2002 after electric motor bearing failure. That went well. After driving around trouble free for about a month, a coolant leak developed and stupid me allowed the engine to overheat and blow the head gasket.

In attempting to fully diagnose whether it really was a head gasket, the engine got turned over while there was water in the cylinders. I have properly changed the head gasket, cleaned out the bad oil, etc. I pulled the oil pan and saw no evidence of broken rods. Using the nut at the crankshaft pulley, the engine turns over easily and smoothly with no bad sounds.

After reconnecting the hybrid battery, the upper display shows the red triangle. The lower display shows the exclamation/auto icon is red, but not the main battery icon. After manually clearing it, the lower display shows the hybrid battery having charge. There is a yellow check engine icon, even after clearing codes, but the OBD reader displays no codes. The "ready" display does not come on until the key is turned to the start position. Then there are three distinct clicks which can be felt with a hand on the valve cover, but the engine does not start, nor are any obd codes generated about starting problems.

What comes to mind for me is there is problem with how the electric motor connects with the engine to turn it over for starting, but I am totally unsure of that or how that could happen.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There must be some codes if you have engine light, you must use techstream as ordinary OBD reader doesn't talk to all ECUs. To me it sounds like something is not reconnected after assembly.

Mendel Leisk and WHCSC like this.
  3. Mukhtiar

Mukhtiar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Has anyone out there tried CARLY with Priuses?

4. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Sure all the wiring was hooked up? Check fuses, the HV computer might not be powered up, There should be codes/triangle if it won't turn over,