1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My prius won't start anymore!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by brendamontgomery, Apr 7, 2019.

1. brendamontgomery

brendamontgomery New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all! I need your help! I search the forums before posting but I didn't find all my answers.

Last week the car was running fine but one morning when I was going to school, I noticed that the ABS system was starting to lightly triggered on dry asphalt... I parked the car normally when I arrived, put the "hand brake" and went to my class. When I came back the car didn't start the first time. The lights ( ! ) (ABS) were on. I thought I forgot to release the "handbrake" but that wasn't the case. I succeed to start the car by pushing/"pumping" the brake pedal (it's may be not related but it worked) and on/off the power button. I came back home, turned off the car and tried to start it again but it doesn't anymore and I still have the lights ( ! ) (ABS) on . Well, it "starts" but it doesn't go on Drive/Backward and the ready light doesn't come on.

I scanned the car with Techstream and I have the codes C1311 C1313 C1377. I checked the fuses and the relays and everything seams to work. The battery delivers 12v.

I want to fix myself because I don't really have the budget to go to the dealer but I don't know where to start checking.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is the battery only delivering 12 volts?

have you gone through the service manual troubleshooting?

how many miles on her?

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Areas you could check:

C1311
    • ABS NO. 1 relay
    • Skid control ECU
    • Harness and connector

C1313
    • ABS NO. 2 relay
    • Skid control ECU
    • Harness and connector

C1377
    • Brake control power supply
    • Harness and connector
    • ABS MAIN1 fuse
    • ABS MAIN2 fuse
    • ABS MAIN3 fuse
    • Apply high voltage
    There should be an INF code for C1377. Click on the blue snowflake icon to the left of the code and look for Detail, INF or Sub-code in the list that pops up. If you can tell us what that is it will zero in more specifically to an area on which to focus.

You are looking for these INF codes: 101,102,103, 105,106,108, 109, 110 or 113.

#3 dolj, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. brendamontgomery

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all! Sorry for not giving any update on the case! Well, I didn't have any until today. Haha. With the university, I didn't have time to look at the Prius but now that I finished, I have time to fix it. First, I will answer our devoted mates!

-------

-I said 12v to summarize and to not be asked about it because it's a new one from January 2019. Actually, I drained it while diagnosing with Techstream, haha, but just consider it delivers to the correct voltage. I have a temporary solution and I'll try to get a new one from warranty. :p

-I don't because I don't have one! It's dumb I know, but hey.

-Here we use kilometers so it's about 180 000 miles. Just consider that we have big temperature gaps during the year so the lifespan can be less than elsewhere.

-------

After I posted on the forum, I cleared the codes (C1311, C1313, C1377) and they didn't come back and when I had them, I didn't click on the snowflakes so I don't have this information but since the lights don't come back it's maybe not related. I don't know. May be I needed to do that first but I am not a mechanic technician so my troubleshooting is pretty eclectic. haha

-------

THAT SAID, today with pure luck I discovered something. When I push the brake pedal a little bit until I hear the triggering click from the brake pedal switch and that I hold the brake pedal at this position, the car starts! I tried like 10 times and it starts every time! The READY light comes on and the ( ! ) (ABS) SKID light comes off. Everything seams to run fine! I also tried many times when I push the brake pedal "all the way" (like I always did) to start the car and it won't start at all.

It explains why I succeeded to start randomly the car in the past while having this problem. I just randomly pushed the brake pedal at the right position...

Now, do you think that the problem can be the "Brake pedal switch" or the "Brake Pedal Stroke Sensor"? I hope because these are relatively cheap. The fact that I noticed that the ABS system was starting to lightly triggered on dry asphalt (the morning just before I had the problem) makes me believe that the problem can be elsewhere. I don't want to buy a freaking Skid Control ECU! XD

With these informations guys, can you conclude something?

5. brendamontgomery

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys! Last update, I just changed the brake light switch and the car starts without problem! That's the "SWITCH ASSEMBLY, STOP LAMP" Part Number: 8434030110.

OBJUAN and bisco like this.