1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Prius won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CodyHM, May 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. CodyHM

CodyHM New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got into my car today, and it won't turn over, I've had the car won't cut off issue in the past with the HUD not working and all. That issue resolved itself within the same day, that was about a week or two ago. NOW she won't start, help would be very much appreciated. The only light on is the key missing light, I've tried holding the ignition button with and without the break peddle with no response. I know the car has battery power in it because it responds to the fob and I locked myself in with said fob and got the alarm to kick on.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HUD not working? I don't think heads up displays were available in the Gen 2. Do you mean the combination meter which has the speedometer and some other things?

You present issue sounds like you simply have a dead 12V battery.

Samuel Williams Jr and landspeed like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still, the 12 volt is where you have to start. either get a volt meter, or remove it and take it to an auto parts store for a free test.

how many miles on her?

do you have triple a?

Samuel Williams Jr and landspeed like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you try to put the FOB into the fob slot and then press the power button?

If the door ajar light illuminates when you open the door, and the key light is flashing, but pressing the power button causes no response, it is likely that the SKS button was accidently pressed and is deactivated. Look under the steering wheel, there should be a button labelled "KEY" press it. The "in" position deactivates SKS and the car will only respond (for starting) if the FOB is inserted into the slot where it will recognize the RFID chip in the case. . "Out" position is activated and the car will communicate with the fob while in your pocket..

landspeed and SFO like this.
  5. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It does sound like you have a dead or dying 12 volt battery? If that is the case, it will throw all kinds of weird crap at you until you replace it. Been there done that.