1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My real-world experience with the PHV

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 13, 2010.

1. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to the link the P4400 Kill a watt is rated at 1875VA. Its basically limited to measuring a maximum of 15 amps at nominal 120 volts.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    15A * 120V = 1800W = 1.8 kW...

You sure about your numbers Dave? Supporting 16 kW at normal household current = 133A. I don't know about you, but that's more current than my entire house pulls at any point. For most houses, multiple rooms will be run off the same 15A circuit breaker.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unless Dave is charging his Zenn to full in 20 minutes or so, I think an order of magnitude is off here.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ooops. ok, i guess i not think. with 6 KWH pack, would take less than an hour to charge. not quiet there yet

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your picture is attached. There's even a cute little canvas tote to store it in. But in the end, it just gets thrown into the hatch area.

Looking at the picture, I see that I was generous when I said "about two feet." It's considerably shorter but yeah, you could place a stool there to lighten the pull.

Attached Files:

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the real world experience and telling it genuinely (without hype0. I am getting really excited about PHV Prius. I don't know if I can sleep tonight.... it is contagious.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't been following this thread closely due to lack of time...
    Yeah, from the earlier podcasts and the above, I really do think they're going to have to change that and put an EV mode button on the shipping Prius PHEVs.

I found your 2nd paragraph to be pretty amusing. I don't think it was Toyota's intent to get people go faster than 65 mph to stay out of EV.

Ugh, if I only had some more time and Hybridfest weren't so far, I'd have loved to have given one these PHEVs a spin.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tony - I take it your mileage reading is still sitting at 99.9? It might be a good idea to include that in your stats at the end, especially if/when it drops below that magical number.

9. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Regarding the battery display, you basically now have 2 fuel tanks...one electric, one gasoline.

They should add a second battery display, for the plugin packs.

They could show it like the battery display, a box with bars, or like the fuel gauge, with 10 pips.

10. cycle11111

cycle11111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeh I think the simplest is two displays for the two types of batteries: 1) two batteries similar in view like we have now - one for Traction one for EV or 2) One for traction like today and one either range or percentage EV left.

Not having the existing multi bar for hybrid battery SOC would drive me crazy as I use that view on the HSI all the time and 2 bars of granularity for the traction battery would be useless as Tony indicated.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lemme add some technical clarification based on our drives in Torrance in May.

* You can technically regen the EV packs *IF* you haven't completely depleted them. That being said, the way they're balanced, you'd only be able to regen one of them along w/ the HV pack since both EV packs are never engaged simultaneously. Once both EV packs are depleted and the relays disengaged, it is no longer possible to regen into them.

* I too longed for a means to "choose" (via the now missing EV button) when to burn gas vs. when to use EV. My commute has some freeway in it, and I'd love to stave off EV until after I got off for the last few miles.

* Also noticed the 99.9mpg limit - probably an artifact of simply retaining the same programming.

* I was briefly able to get 3 bars on the gauge - if you can regen enough, it's kind of the equivalent of a nearly full or full HV pack.

* I found the EV torque greater than HV only acceleration at similar pedal pressure.

* Looking at the HSI, if you exceed the "ECO" range, the ICE will kick in regardless of EV capacity. This is VERY easy to do in PWR mode.

1 person likes this.
  12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV charger is located under the passenger seat, as well as some of the electronics under the driver's seat - hence the lack of XM and premium audio.

There are also 3 blowers/vents on the PHV vs. the standard Prius single vent. The additional two intakes are at the rear passenger floor level.

1 person likes this.
  13. PhilH

PhilH New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there currently a way to force ICE mode?

My 30 mile commute includes a section that is a rather steep hill. I was thinking if that I could force ICE mode on sections of my commute I would be able to save the batteries for climbinng the hill, which would result in a nice efficiency gain!

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tony,
    Your 7/15 drive to work and back -- did it include charging at work ?

I hope you keep track of total distance, Kwh charged, and gallons consumed over the week.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like being able to regen the packs in the same manner you can with the stock pack would increase efficiency quite a bit. There are many instances when I observe "full bars" and wish I had more storage capacity. This could be especially effective for those of us who have to deal with large hills during our commutes. We could store more energy during the downhill sections and use that extra energy once we are back in the flatlands. Am I missing something here?

16. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A "Force Hybrid Mode" button is important to me, too. I know what the car will do for me today, but it does not. Fifteen miles of EV (give or take) is very significant in town, not so much on the freeway. Don't force me to drive over 65 mph just to avoid sucking the juice.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the driving distance is greater than EV range and HV mode is used efficiently, I don't see why it matters which is used where.

18. tickmark40

tickmark40 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have been resetting all gauges before every drive. Since this car is being used for test drives at Green Drive Expo, my long-term results would be whacked.

Yes, I charge every chance I get. I charge over night, then in the morning and then after lunch (since suddenly everyone wants to go out for lunch). So far, unless otherwise noted, every trip starts with a full pack.

I do not have any additional instrumentation. However, The Force is going to loan me his ScanGuage next week so I'll be able to pull more numbers including MPG readings above 99.9.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In response to your latest blog Tony, the Leaf requires two shifts to "D" to engage ECO mode. I can foresee it being a tad annoying having to shift to D twice every time you want to engage ECO mode. I think your idea of the H pattern works better. (or just bring the ECO and PWR mode buttons closer to the driver either on the steering wheel or to the left panel where the mirror is).