1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My ride is now complete

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by dorunron, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone. As some of you know, I recently purchased a new 2013 Prius Model 3. It came equipped very well with the standard features of the Model 3 along with a nice set of ACE 17" Wheels and LRR Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. Within one week I added the bumper scratch guard. Today I completed the mods to the car. I am a OEM type of guy. I opt for OEM parts as often as I can. Anyway, I have now had the body side moldings added to the car. I had not seen these until my car was brought to me. At first I was shocked, thinking this isn't going to protect anything. But after the initial shock, I felt at ease. The more I look at them, the more I see how they compliment the beautiful lines of the Gen III.

straight on view.JPG

front door close up.JPG

rear door close up.JPG

front side view.JPG

rear side view.JPG

I used to drive a Gen II package #2. I liked my Gen II. However I love my Gen III

Thanks to the admins here on Prius Chat. Without PC, I would not have the knowledge and experience of the best car on the road today.

Peace,
    Ron (dorunron)

Ron Carlson | Facebook

#1 dorunron, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't see the pics. I don't have a Facebook account, and I'm not signing up just to see some pics. :p

SCH-I535

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OMG, I thought my settings were sufficient. I will upload them here. Sorry about that guys.

Files are now uploaded to the server. Tried to give the best views I could. Refer to post #1 in this string.

#3 dorunron, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The door guard strips look very nicely integrated, and good color match. I keep thinking they should extend a little further on the back door, guess they couldn't be much longer. You had them put on? Likely best: it can be a stresser ;)

I like those rims too, looks like they could be an optional OEM. Hang on, is that what they are?

dorunron likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    love it!(y)

dorunron likes this.
  6. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car looks awesome. Great choice of color, wheels, tint, and the garnish stripe is a nicer touch than I would have expected.
    Would a shark fin antenna be going too far for you?
    If you have the stomach for some hacking, how about some auto-folding signal mirrors?

dorunron likes this.
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are NO aftermarket parts on my Prius. Even the rims are sold and installed by Toyota. The Southwest Distributor is the one who is installing them. Folks in other parts of the country find they are not available.

I did have the selling dealer install the body side moldings for me. I am sure they have special jigs to get the location perfect every time.

DSC01545.JPG

OEM Prius Wheel Info.jpg

OEM Prius Wheel Part No. & Price.jpg

Ron (dorunron)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thought about the shark fin. Auto fold mirrors would be cool, but too easy to fold them in if you need to. Besides I always walk around her before and after each ride to inspect for damage. I try to take good care of my vehicles.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our Canadian Touring model came with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 215/45R17 (on the 17" OEM 5 spoke). They're not indicated to be LRR, but I can't fault them. Maybe it's because I've got nothing to compare to, or it was a special run of that tire for Toyota, all I know is they sure feel LRR. Sometime down the road (if we ever put enough miles on, LOL) I'm thinking those Primacy would be a good replacement.

10. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice!

So, am I reading that invoice right?
    Those wheels with centercaps/lugnuts/tpms sensors for less than $200.00?
    If thats correct I want a set, now:)

The body side mouldings look awesome too.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They're SE Toyota parts and aren't officially recognized by Toyota. Toyota hasn't bought back these distributors and thus don't have any control over them.

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Frankly, SE or not they are still available at the dealer. They are in stock in the Southwest region. Not quite sure why you say these are not officially recognized by Toyota. But that's Ok by me. All I know is that they were on the car when I bought it, and are also on the window sticker. Even the dealer admits that they did not put them on, but were already on the car when it came in on the truck. I see them today on Pri at this same dealer. Some are even color coordinated. Meant to take a pic, but did not.

So the question now is just because something is a special edition part, can it still be considered "OEM". I don't believe these would be considered aftermarket.

Look at the cars being sold today. Many have fancy wheels on them. Has the industry gone to the point of dolling up every car with odds and ends just to make the sale? If this is the case, it becomes very difficult to determine what is OEM and what is not.

Ron (dorunron)

13. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Very nicely done. Wheels look great and are a must for me. Body side molding looks natural, not sure how effective it will be to prevent dings. Classy looking Prius, enjoy it.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, they're installed at the port after they're shipped from Toyota and before getting delivered to dealers. They're most certainly not aftermarket parts but OE from SW/SE/Gulf States Toyota distributors rather than OE from Toyota Corporation (OEM refers to a part originally equipped by the manufacturer). Not saying there's anything wrong with them. The wheels certainly look better than stock 15s so enjoy your car.

15. RedRhino

RedRhino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sweet!!! Just picked up mine Sat (7/19), same color and wheels. Twins!