1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My speakers stopped working, please help :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kay_, Nov 20, 2016.

1. kay_

kay_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought my 2013 Prius four less than 2 months ago(october 1st), and last night when I was driving my speakers suddenly cut out. There was no popping noise or anything, the sound just went off. I had it on bluetooth, Spotify. So I checked the radio and everything and still no sound there either. The buttons didn't beep anymore, and the volume level didn't even fluctuate(usually the volume number comes up when adjusting it), and all the buttons were still functional. Just no sound.

This morning I turned on my car, and the radio was working now, but when it turned on the driver side speaker made a popping noise. Then as I drove somewhere, the sound just randomly cut off again.

I'm in over my head with this car and all the expenses, as I quit my job to drive Uber (which isn't paying off so far). I'm honestly at a point of thinking about just selling this car, quitting uber and cutting my loses before I'm really in over my head. I rely on music heavily for Uber, so for it to go out I really don't feel comfortable driving now therefore I'm losing out on big money tonight. (I know its ridiculous, but if you drive uber you understand ratings are everything).

I took it to a stereo shop, and they told me its most likely a speaker that's out or an amplifier.
    I wanted to get some opinions here or advice before I dish out any money for this.
    Has this happened to anyone? What's the fix for it?
    I also have a couple other questions, is there only one amplifier(I have jbl system)? and if it's only one speaker effecting the rest, that one only needs to be found and fixed, correct? This guy was trying to say I need a whole new system and possibly a new radio head...which is the screen and everything. He said it could be about $1,100.
    If that's the case then I'm screwed

2. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    To cut the story short, open the door trim, connect any speaker externally and check if it works. In my Prius gen2 my 4 speakers were shot and had to replace the whole lot, all working perfectly now.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Find a different shop.
    If ALL of the speakers quit at exactly the same time, it is NOT a speaker problem.
    Pray for a loose connection at the head unit or amplifier.

BrokeBack831 likes this.