1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

my students are not happy about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priuscritter, Aug 27, 2010.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First of all, don't discount the fact that they want to wind you up.

Then deal with all the incorrect assumptions and misinformation with unadulterated facts.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. The fact that they're talking to you about cars anyway probably means you're a cool teacher that they're comfortable with, you don't want to get all lectury and defensive on them. Some of them might have said the same thing if you had switched allegiance on NFL teams. Even going from a Ford to a Chevy could've been a big deal (speaking from the experience of a Ford-supporting extended family).

It'd be interesting to see what they think about the merits of corn-based ethanol. Might get a farm-kids vs. town-kids argument going.

3. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i teach music for the person that gave me the econ lesson plans haha. the kids do get to know me a little better because i teach band so i have them for possibly 8 years.

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had a friend also tell me he spent $20 a day on gas. When I told him that my car payment, insurance, maintenance and fuel cost me less that per day, he would not believe me until I showed him on paper.

Interestingly, he is now looking at a 2008 used Prius, and is likely to buy it this weekend.

5 people like this.
  5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like you relate to the kids well enough that they want to talk to you about what you drive. You and your Prius are bound to be a positive influence on them, whether they admit it or not.:)

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Offer to take them for a ride

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's great that they are teasing you about it. i'll bet they are curious and will come around to learning about it in time. my friends and relatives have never said a word about my car in six years. they all drive suv's and sports cars and just raise their eyebrows when they see it. and when we go out together, they don't even ask, we always take their cars.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ... in the presence of another teacher.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well as a music teacher, compare the quietness of the Prius vs the Mustang, you can hear music in the Prius, in the Mustang you might as well play Country.

2 people like this.
  10. Rnr

Rnr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I teach High School English at a little-bigger-than-small-town Missouri school. A big part of communication skills is being able to rationalize and defend your opinions. The kids dig that I drive a Prius. They all drive trucks. The discussions we have where the issue comes up always involve discussing thinking processes. Sometimes the subject area doesn't matter when you are dealing with thinking skills. That's one of the reasons I love teaching English.

1 person likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I enjoyed seeing two successive posts discussing perception, how we view the world:

• visual and audio - one side, those who 'see' the world
    • text and words - those who 'read' and 'speak' the world
    Like the old joke, there are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't. Still it provides insights about thinking processes.

I tend to deal with images. So when I see a table of numbers it morphs into lines, curves and surfaces. Often when working a problem I first draw it and then explore possibilities, resolve conflicts and come up with approaches which I translate into words to share with others.

I'm convienced there are two type of school drop-outs (my tendency to divide a problem.) Some are special people but others are extrodinarily bright. They literally are all but driven mad by the glacial pace of traditional schooling that suffers from the abysmal habit:

• three months off
    • four-five months repeating the last term
    • five-four months new material
    When our country was mostly rural, this pattern made sense. All family members were needed during the growing season. Even the short afternoon allows students to return for evening chores. But today, this pattern wastes students, teachers, and school facilities.

Bob Wilson

12. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    they'll change their mind if you put on the parking brake and burn some rubber in the school parking lot

13. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When our country was mostly rural, this pattern made sense. All family members were needed during the growing season. Even the short afternoon allows students to return for evening chores. But today, this pattern wastes students, teachers, and school facilities.
    :rockon:

Summer break probably should be no longer then 3 weeks

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who get binary and those who don't.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II

You know some kids will end up driving the monster trucks and muscle cars in the future. Thats what makes the world go round. You should help them see the error in they ways.

16. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I love Terry Crews!!!! I wonder what he drives? Did he fit in a Prius?

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I try to not attach stereotypes to automobiles. It's kind of hard to do when Toyota markets The Prius in the US by running commercials featuring cartoonish landscapes and happy 70's folk music. I would think High School aged Mustang Lovers would be hard pressed to view that imagery surrounding The Prius and be impressed.

But it IS a learning opportunity.

Again, especially as I age, I try not to attach stereotypes. My observation is Prius Ownership and the reasons people decide to own a Prius is far more diverse than those opposed to Prius believe.

However, if I venture out into the dangerous waters of attaching an observational stereotype, I'd say in Oregon, where I live, closer to the suburbs and colleges, there is huge support for Prius. Most of the young people...college age, I talk to, love the Prius, understand Hybrids and look forward to Hybrid and/or Electric Vehicle ownership. BUT...

Oregon is a diverse state. If I drive out to the farming communities or eastern Oregon. The lands of The Dodge Ram Pick-Up...I get dirty looks just because I'm driving a Honda Fit. There does seem to be a political/social tie in to attitude. It's like "Easy Rider" I almost feel marked driving out there, just because I'm driving something small that "looks kinda hybrid".

I don't sweat it, but it does seem to exist. I have a Dodge Pick-Up owning friend I've known since High School. When I told him I was seriously considering a Prius he immediately blanched and told me- parroted back to me- almost every fallacy and false stereotype about Hybrids. I've done my best to debate and educate him. But honestly it's pretty useless. It's just strange how geographically centered the attitudes seem to be, I live in an area where Large SUV's or a single person driving a large pick-up would probably be frowned upon...and Prius and small cars are prevelant. But the attitude seems to almost reverse the farther away from the city I get.

I guess I can see both sides. I think Hybrids are great. I like Prius. BUT...I grew up with a much beloved 1967 Mustang...and if resources, economy, efficiency and emmisions and fossil fuel useage where not things I considered? I'd probably say you don't trade a Mustang in for a Prius. They are almost opposite vehicles...if you think the Prius is efficient, quiet and underpowered...The Mustang pays little respect to efficiency, makes little effort to be quiet and projects the image of being a fossil fuel burning ghost of the 70's.

I'm glad to see someone go from a Mustang to a Prius...but if I was your student I'd ask you what made you change...it's like going from a submarine to an airplane.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You mean 2 types right? On / Off, 0 / 1. geek j/k.

19. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    When you find the one kid that likes your Prius...you've found your honor student.

20. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Help them understand that the hatchback design and the reclining front seats plus a sleeping bag make the Prius a much better date night car than the Mustang...

1 person likes this.