1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My tank is only 5 Gallons

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by grinthock, Dec 17, 2008.

1. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know people have tank issues - but I am trying to figure out what mine are.

Down to 1 pip, (and driving on that pip for some time) I was able to squeeze in 20L (5Gal) that's it.

Is something wrong here? My book says my tank is 44L in capacity, yet from empty to full is 20L?

should I be going back to my dealer? Any tips to help "expand" the bladder?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Justin,

A few questions:

How many times did the fuel pump click off while you were pumping 20 liters or 5 gallons?

What level did your fuel gauge read after refueling?

Perhaps you should try pumping an additional 10 liters?

3. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sometimes the pump is hard to get going... so i squeeze it in slow for a litre or two, and then pull hard and it pumps like normal. It didn't shut off till the 20, and then i squeezed a little and it immediatly clicked off so I stopped.

It showed full.

Try pumping in 10 more? No way that would be possible.

The catch 22 here is, people say don't top off, but yet it's not filling all they way...

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your gauge is showing 10 bars then you're right. Might be possible to pump 4-5 liters more but 10 would be asking for trouble. Guess your fuel tank bladder becomes really small in the frigid Canadian winter.

5. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm in Ontario - it's not that fridgid here.. right now it's probably 28-34 degrees daily.

What I have thought about is filling it -- driving a bit - and filling again, perhaps the weight of the fuel sloshing around is enough to expand the bladder.

Something tells me the bladder edges stick togeather when the tank gets low.

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That may help, on occasion I have only been able to get about 7 gallons in from empty (when its cold), but can't put anymore in. The gauge will read 10 bars, I'll only drive say 10 miles or so. The gauge will occasionally just drop a bar while parked when this scenario happens.
    I have previously read on here somewhere where some guy claims he unscrews his gas cap then washes his windows then he pumps his gas, he claims it lets some of the vapors escape and is able to pump in 11 gallons or more everytime.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's a pretty odd tank, that's for sure. Although my fills have been trouble free so far (fill at 1 pip/rarely 2, lowest nozzle setting, off at first click) I don't doubt those who see these problems. For me one tank is 8.7 to 8.9 gallons but the next might be as low as 6.3 (from what I've seen so far.) Some of this is whether I fill at 1 pip or two, but the calculated/vs indicated gasoline usage for these same tanks varies from nearly a gallon under to nearly a gallon over (1.9 gallon variation). 20% variability on the tank is borderline at best.

If I was only getting 5 gallons in from 1 pip, then I would take it to the dealer and document the problem and see if they could find any thing. Assuming nothing changed and the problem remained, next I would probably try packing that sucker to see if I could get the bladder re-expanded. If it has problems after that it is Toyota's problem. It is after all a problem with the design and/or manfucture to begin with. The more outlay they have for improperly functioning tanks, the less likely they are to adorn future Prius' with this unnecessary albatross.

There is a lot that can go wrong with the complex vent system for the tank. The line sizes appear to be too small for the vapor traffic and the design is likely to produce two phase flow choke points during the fill. Adding to that it wouldn't surprise me if ice restricted a line at some point.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You may need to have your tank level reset. The dealer can run it through a simple process on a flat surface which will reset the inclinometer on the fuel gauge (you can do it yourself if you wish - the steps are on this site). If the inclinometer is off, you can get a premature empty reading, meaning not as much fuel will go into the tank when you refill from "empty".

Tom

9. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Last night, I went out and had only 1 pip gone - and put in 10 litres. So let's see what kind of mileage I get on this tank now.

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. Filling only 5 gallons from the 1-pip mark is pretty extreme even for our finicky cars. The fuel gauge may be reading low.

11. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Too bad they can't figure out a way to shunt some of the traction battery heat to the fuel tank to keep the bladder pliable during cold weather.

12. Road Fan

Road Fan One-Prius,one Audi,7-bike Family

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm really kind of surprised there is a bladder and not just a "big bucket" style fuel tank. Seems like an unnecessary source of potential problems.

If it's a big bucket, your problem is probably in the fuel guage system, rather than the tank.

If it's a bladder, I'd be real surprised if Toyota didn't work very hard to make teh bladder remain pliable over the full operating range, Especially for Gen 2.

There certainly is a way that Toyota could have heated the fuel tank from a power source: a resistance-wire heater, probably inside the fuel tank. It would need a power controller and a temperature sensor, so it is not a cost-free feature. I'm not sure how great the benefit is. The energy draw would reduce fuel economy. Probably it should be driven by the low-voltage power system for safety.

13. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Putting resistance wires in millions of polymer fuel tanks would seem to be a really bad idea on the face of it. Sort of like using an open flame to find a gas leak...

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about using a pilot light? :D

Tom

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you got the ability to put the car in a heated garage? I wonder if the bladder was warmed a bit, if you could fill it properly.
    I have noticed that despite the fact that my car is in an unheated garage rather than outside, the tank accepts less fuel as the weather turned colder in the fall. It still pumps enough to go quite a distance though, and it is certainly NOT even close to reasonable temp. here. It is very cold lately!

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grinthock,
    How are you placing the fuel nozzle into the filler neck? How far in? Do you hold onto the handle and pump or let it sit by itself?

I ask because on the first fill, I stuffed that nozzle in pretty far. didn't pump anything in, just clicked off repeatedly.

I've been saying the following in a lot of threads, but I don't put the nozzle in much at all, and let the handle rest on its own. Set the 'latch' for trigger and wait for clickoff. Never pumped in more than 6.5 gallons, but never gone below 3 pips either.

Hope that helps.

that said, I've never refueled in anything less than maybe mid 40's F temp.

17. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My tank is aprox 6.5 gallons cold (below 60F) and 9.7 gallons hot (above 80F).

Its just plain ------->STUPID<---------- that the tank changes sizes. Sometimes I sit there and click and pump for 3 mins try to force more gas into it. Its a real pain in the azz. I know it can hold 9.78 gallons why is it shutting off at 6?

Yet another in a long list of Prius irritations.