1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My thoughts on GenIII vs. GenII

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by F8L, Mar 5, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall the 08/09 Prius was 48 city/45 hwy for 46 mpg combined, so 4 less than 2010-2012.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There appear to be some fairly big differences between Gen3 cars. Several people here report tramlining and following groves in the pavement, others have mentioned poor resistance to cross winds, some of us have no drivability problems at all. These things usually indicate suspension design problems but since we are all talking about Gen3 Prius, the only suspension difference being the V or five versions, I tend to believe it may be alignment and/or tires.

My car is and has always been very good as far as dirvability is concerned. I have been in 30 MPH crosswinds and didn't even know it until I noticed a flag blowing in the wind. I can go down the highway, even when there are deep groves left by trucks or rain groves, with very few steering corrections. I have had 3 sets of tires, the original Toyos and two sets of Michelins, and it has driven the same with all three sets. (One set of Michelins was replaced due to a defect.) My tire wear is average for the way I drive. I got about 42K out of my OEM tires and they still had about 3/32 tread left.

I love the way my Prius drives but it has had it's share of other problems. It is full of rattles, I have the rough start problem, and my oil change door fell off, etc. etc. My mileage is probably average for a Gen3, my Gen 2 was quite a bit better for mileage but didn't drive nearly as well.

3. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    likely two things are happening
    1) tyres are feathering to your 'aggressive' fangio like :))) driving style
    2) you are getting more used to the control responses

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've actually been driving this thing VERY tame to see what kind of mpg I can get without hypermiling but not driving like a madman either. I drove the Salsa car like a madman in the horrible wind yesterday and my mpg dropped from 51 to 44. lol

I think the tires are simply breaking in or the freeway surface in LA was just horribly grooved compared to the cement surfaces I'm used to up here. The ride during my normal commute has been fairly neutral in comparison.

Ohh, I also found out that if you leave ECO Mode on when shutting down the car it will stay in that mode when you turn the car back on. It doesn't work for Power Mode, however.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom, my GenII is pretty bad in the wind despite being lower, great alignment and upgraded suspension. I think it is just a problem with the shape of the Prius. Bad alignment, tires etc. will exacerbate the issue for sure. I may have the alignment checked on the new car rather than assume it is good. We all know that just because a car is new doesn't mean it's right. :)

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree the Gen2 may well have some aero problems. My Gen2 was delivered with alignment and suspension problems and even after the problems were set right it was never very good in crosswinds.

I do not think the Gen3 has those problems because mine does not, if one Gen3 was aerodynamically unsound it seems that they would all be. However the suspension differences in the V (or five) versions and the wider tires may help.

Are you going to put 17s and wide tires on your Gen3?

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I've never had problems with crosswinds so it might be the Five suspensions and/or tires.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll eventually put the 17s one this car for testing purposes. If the mpg drop is 2mpg or less then I'll probably keep them on. The 17s do tend to help with stability.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your previous stereo probably cost you 2mpg. :p

How do you like the interior? I haven't spent much time in the 'new' generation, but I noticed the lack of door bins - which are very handy - and felt more closed in with the centre console.

10. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have and drive both a 2005 and a 2010 Prius. Both are great cars. I prefer the 2010 because:
    1. Power mode - very important to me. I can't take it without
    2. More horsepower
    3. Better steering
    4. Much better equipped (but then that is not a fair comparison) I have nav, leather, moonroof, sat radio, heated seats - all lacking on the 2005 and all very nice and worth every extra penny.

11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Part of it is the OEM tires, but try reducing pressure in rear tires. Mine feels rock solid with 42/38 F/R (but then the suspension pieces help too).

With respect to hypermiling GenIII is easy to hypermil, in ECO mode you can switch to all electric by blipping the throttle at highway and below speeds.

It is still green it will take ~15-20K to get better

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, bro.

I think it is indeed the tires. I drove a section of highway by my house and the car started doing the "crack-head wiggle" and I noticed I was on grooved cement again. Once on smooth asphalt the car straightened out. Then on the way home I hit grooved asphalt on the other side of the highway and the car started wiggling again. :rolleyes: I'll try reducing the pressure a bit. Given the temperature difference between LA and Sacramento/Woodland I should only be at about 43/41psi during the peak temp of the day but I'll check it later.

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the reducing rear tire pressure is advice from my mechanic of many years ago.

Softer front tire deflects more and causes front to wonder. If rear is harder, it will not go as much and the difference cause the twitchiness. At static load I try to ensure the front and rear tire sidewalls flexed equal amount, which on empty car worked out to 42/38 - 40/36 good luck.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, yes. I think you're barely breaking 2,000 or 2,500rpm if the HSI is in the PWR area. I forget the exact number so if you have a scangauge, you can double check.

lol.

Ahh yes the door bins. They can fit two bottles (even though it says one) but I'm annoyed with the lack of a storage space there. Then again, the Prius has equal or more storage space than most cars up front anyway and my smart had a small net that somehow passed as door storage.

15. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Forgive me if this was asked before in this thread but how bad are the rattles inside the cabin with tires inflated that much? When I got my 2012 the first few weeks I felt that the rattles were more when compared to my 2010, but then I found the dealer had my tires inflated over 40 when I took delivery. Now around 35 psi I feel the rattles are much less bothering.

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With my 2010 I have tried different pressures and I don't think the difference is dramatic. But dropping the pressure from 44 to 38 seems to have helped, but it's hard to tell.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2012 has zero rattles. Even at 46/44psi there were zero rattles. Coming from my 2005 which had a lot of rattles I was very surprised. I only have about 1000 miles on it so they may appear eventually. For now I am just enjoying the silence. :D

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    F8L, the Gen3 is a different car. It'll take some time to adjust to it. My rattles & creaks are temperature dependent. In subfreezing temps it sounds like I'm in a popcorn popper. Zero noises when in the 50's & above.

The ECO button is sticky, the PWR button is not. I don't always remember to hit the button. It's amazing how different the car feels on those two settings. Try all three, maybe one works best for you. I stay in ECO.

I don't have your handling problems but we have different setups & tires. I don't think there are any concrete roads left around here.

I keep the MID on the HSI screen. Keeping the bar to the left of & below the ECO lozenge yields the best FE. The left half is electric. After going too far to the right or into the PWR section just dropping back won't cycle the ICE down (or off). Take your foot off the accelerator just for a split second so the bar drops all the way then come back up so it is halfway & the instantaneous mpg go off the chart or to the 50's depending on the pressure on the pedal.

My FE is more consistent tank to tank compared to the Gen2 and the increment is disappointing as I expected ~10% based on the EPA numbers but it is what it is.

Early on I missed the door pockets. I keep the Nav & one of the other books in the driver's door. The dimensions of the mats are different. The grill openings are smaller. The lower glovebox is a PITA to remove & replace unlike the Gen2.

Best wishes for many happy years with the new toy.

1 person likes this.
  19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Jim. :)

20. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting, I never notice any rattles in my 2005 even if I'm running 51/48. Of course I've only run that high on my AVID ENVigor's. On the Integrety's I ran 45/42, still never heard a rattle.