1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My thoughts on GenIII vs. GenII

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by F8L, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're fretting over 1/10th of a gallon, which is easily accounted for by the pump click-off time and always averages out over a few tanks.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stop being realistic! :D

I checkedmy tire pressure today and found it to be lower than I thought. We set it at 46/44psi while in LA when the temp was in the 70s. Today at 58 degrees they were at 40/38psi. I raised the pressure to 50/48psi. It is supposed to be cloudy/rainy for the next week and temps will stay in the high 50s low 60s. If the ride declines significantly like I think it will then I'll drop them to 46/44psi. FWIW I always ran my dB Super E-Specs at 50/48 and the ride was ok but not great.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once a Gen 2 owner, always a Gen 2 owner :p.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So true it hurts.... My butt with high tire pressure. :p

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :drum:

I feel more in one with the car in a Gen 2 than in a Gen 3. Toyota has done well in making the Gen 3 feel like a normal car.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hoping that the GenIIIwould eventually start to feel that way. The GenII felt like a second skin whereas the GenIII feels like a vehicle that I pilot. Does that make sense?

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it does--but only because the experience is a bit different. After enough time behind the wheel you won't even notice the difference.

I was expecting a 10% improvement in FE based on the EPA numbers. I'd be real pissed if the '10 came in below the '06. My Gen3 had a rough start being picked up between snow storms the last week of 2009 and having to run through a long cold winter that the Gen2 missed. The '06 was picked up in June and experienced very mild winters.

All of the MID's are optimistic, I believe by design. Most drivers don't run their own numbers & will believe what the car tells them. Is it really too much to want accurate instrumentation? At least the speedo exceeds UN standards.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What the hmmmmm? Crank that height adjust handle down? Maybe you and Justin have really tall sitting heights? did you pivot the double joint arm up on the rearview mirror? It's not the Homelink mirror that hangs lower, right?

6'2" here, 2011 mirror is so not obstructing. No cars or people are blocked. Wow, that 2nd gen with Homelink, i couldn't see squat with that mirror.

3rd gen view here really good. I feel right at home in it.

hang in there, it should grow on you. ...

I left for a 3 1/2 mile boulevard trip, cold start with 51.3 mpg on gage, arrived with about 50.1, car sat for 1 hour, returned home with 51.1 gage. I only have 5 to 6% error, so that's really close to 49 MPG. Getting that mpg on a pretty short trip is quite good. Better than 2nd gen in winter.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Surely I was never an owner, it was just in my garage ....

Wow was I glad to see that car go ... far away. I talked to the buyer a couple weeks ago and she loves it ... 5'3" tall, good fit for her.

3rd gen ... it's a keeper !! :rockon:

----------------
    About the CONS gage, I'd prefer something more accurate than 5 to 6% error. All those times I rented the 3rd gens, thought the gage was accurate, Got some inflated numbers on refill.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Justin, you had a lot of mods on your 2nd gen and you had it for a long time. Once you get some mods in on your 3rd gen, it should come around.

I've run nothing more than 38/36 in stock tires (Assurance?). I had some longer trips last tank, nothing really far, two 40 miles one way, local freeways, 25 one way RT to airport, etc ... more than a few 1 milers and the 3 milers to gym. Filled up with 54.4 gage and 51.x calc'd.

Have you tuned into the HSI gage yet? That's a good one. Get up to speed, let off gas and go light with right foot.

we gotta get you well over 50 MPGs!

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Embrace Change!!

i had the same feeling on my Gen 3 as well, but i knew i would like it (sun roof!!) and it did happen. now it took a while but i really saw it about once every 10 days or so before the Leaf when we traded cars (i always get the gas) and i got to the point where i dreaded it so much that i started coordinating meetups at Costco to fill both Priuses at the same time.

unfortunately her commute was much longer than mine so still had to drive the 06 at least once a month or so.

1 person likes this.
  12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last tank % difference was less at approx. 5.2%. While 48.5mpg (indicated) doesn't make me happy I went ahead and worked out a deal with the good people at Yokohama to switch tires. I ordered a set of the brand new Yokohama AVID Ascend (T). They are heavier (less mpg) and have a ton of tread depth (12/32) but they are rated to last 85,000 miles and are LRR rated. I guess I like the "apeel" of orange oil technology. lol

13. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm very curious to see how you like them.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As usual I will do a full write up. :)

My gut feeling is that they will be worse on mpg but much better and much longer lasting. Probably very similar to the ProContact EcoPlus but a little longer lived. I really liked the dB Super E-Specs on my 2005 so I bet these will be nice enough. Besides, we needed more than 2 guinea pigs for these new tires.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha. Well I learned all the ins and outs in the Gen 2. I "grew up" with this community in a Gen 2 and before the big crunch in 2008, it still felt like an exclusive club where you knew why your fellow driver had one (esp. the 1st Gens) and you could wave and get a wave back.

Again, after a few years, you feel like only you know how to drive the car and no one else does. You know how to eek the last drop of fuel, when to engage EV Drive Mode (I have Coastal's EV Mod) to improve mpg, you could feel the drivetrain work, know when it was gliding and when the engine was running and how hard to brake to maximise regen.

I thought it was cool. Now the 3rd Gen just does it for me. I can beat the Gen 2 without trying (though I have yet to match the Gen 2's 60mpg tank record but I don't have a long enough commute to do so) and Toyota's done a very good job in isolating the cabin so you don't feel the shudder when the engine comes on or off. As for regen? Just look at the HSI and fill up the CHG but don't go any harder than that.

Yup. Loud and clear (as my reply to cycledrum above shows)

I heard about the orange oil technology but I haven't seen it in action yet. I don't know about these claims. I've never gotten over 100,000kms on any set of tyres. Do they count all the way down the legal limit? (2/32nds I think?) cause the dealership would start advising you around 4/32nd that you should change it and by then it looks fairly bald to me.

1 person likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure the warranties are suggested to mean down to 2/32. I looked at the tread design of the Ascend and it changes tread block design as the tire wears down to aid in maintaining traction. I'm not sure that it is very effective but it's a neat gimmick either way. :)

The one nice aspect of my dBs was they used 80% less petroleum to create the tire. I don't think the Ascend can claim that feat but using renewables for tire materials is cool nonetheless. Michelin is playing around with sunflower oil in their Primacy MXM4 tires.

I should have the tires by Friday. I'm probably one of a select few automotive geeks who get so excited over tires. LOL

http://yokohama-media.unitedfuture.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1330020056-AVID-Ascend-Bulletin-final.pdf

17. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've only heard a few things about these tires. Hope the difference in performance adds to you MPGs. We will be waiting for a full report! Are you installing OEM size?

Have been reading the thread... very interesting. We just made the leap from an '05 to an '11 on Feb 28. A friend of mine bought a 3rd Gen, and I had the chance to drive it a couple of times. The first was a short drive in 2010... but I noticed immediately the better weighted steering, the very nice ride compared to our '05, and of course the drivers cubicle.

The second time I got to drive his car was on the way back from a New Hampshire ski trip in late Feb of 2011, about a 3.5-4 hour drive. He was not achieving more than 44-45 MPG and he wanted to see if I could get better results having driven a Prius for a few years.

It took me a few miles to get the feel of the car, but once I did, I was able to dial into it pretty nicely. He only had a few thousand miles on it, around 3500 to 4500. There were only two of us in the car plus normal ski gear. I didn't reset the indicated average, so it started from 45 MPG. We did take a more circuitous route, adding some hilly terrain to balance the small drop from 1000 feet elevation to 700 at my house.

A long drive story made short... I kept close to speed limits and used as much gliding and regen braking as I could during the trip. At one point, about 3/4s of the way back I had the average up a little over 53 MPG and by the time I arrived at my house it was a tick over 51.

That was the first time that his car had reached and actually stayed in the 50 and above MPG range. It was a cloudy and mild late afternoon into evening drive with temperatures in the lower to mid 30s. His tire pressure were in the upper 30s. I recommended 40 front and 38 rear.

I did my best to impart how the driving technique I was using worked, and think that I succeeded some. He sent a text telling he ended up with an indicated 54 MPG. The drive from my home to his takes about 45 minutes and there's nearly a total elevation drop of 600 feet... although it's still up and down on several sections.

He tracks his MPG each fill-up and has found a little less than a 3% difference.

I loved the way his 3rd Gen drove. Way better than my '05. The interior driver's cockpit felt well designed, and driver oriented. How anyone can like the 2nd Gen interior over the 3rd is beyond me. I have stated before that I always felt that when I got into our '05, it was more like getting on a chair and pulling up to a desk that just happened to have a steering wheel attached. To each, his own I guess. The flying console is brilliant. I like the controls at easy logical reach and wrapped around the driver.

Ditto our new '11, so far so good! We drove our '05 for almost 6 years and it was a great car, except for rear tire degradation we could not solve during it's lifetime. In any case, we were pretty used to it. The change to the 3rd Gen has been very positive. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never really thought of it as a desk with a steering wheel but that does sound fairly accurate. lol

I would have no problem at all maintaining 53-54mpg if I didn't have the 1200ft. elevation gain on my daily commute. My GenII could manage it but it took a little effort unless I could throw in a few long glides on rural roads. I bet I lose some mpg with the new tires but in the grand scheme of things I like this car much better than my GenII so I'm happy even if the mpg stays "low".

Congrats on your 2011! I like the flying bridge as well but I'd never admit to it on this forum. ;)

19. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not even close. :D I love new tires so I never care if I get 80k miles on any tire. New stuff comes out that I want to try & as long as the tire works for me in what I want it to do I'm fine. For the Prius, mpg is the top desire, ;) for my MR2 it's maximum dry grip. :D

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya bru. :D

I used to go for top mpg but now that my commute has changed so drastically I will have to replace tires every 2 years. I'm hoping the new tires will get me through an extra year. lol