1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My thoughts on the 2012 hihy after 4 days

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by BrettS, Oct 2, 2012.

1. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haven't had a chance to read much there, maybe next week I'll have some time, but thanks for the tip on the site admin's screen name!=, never know when that might be handy...

I think the Sorento and Outlander 4-cylinder, 2WD models are still tops in fuel economy for 3-row vehicles after the Highlander Hybrid, coming in at 25 combined. The Mazda 5 is close at 24 combined. They are all a hair smaller than Highlander. I think the Explorer Ecoboost is probably the next largest 3-row model with the closest fuel economy at 23 combined. In base trim 2WD, I'm sure it would be about 10k less than the base Highlander Hybrid with street pricing. It did seem a bit bigger inside than Highlander, but maybe not quite as roomy as Traverse.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Great points Trollbait. You are definitely right about the power. And that is honestly why I am most attracted to the HiHy. I would most likely have a need to pull a small trailer every now and then. Add that in with the AWD and the TCO of similar vehicles actually looks pretty decent. But you are right about the sale price. That is out of reach for a large percentage of the population.

Side question....How big is the V6 engine? And I assume it isn't CVT is it? Never heard of a V6 CVT.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Video is worth 1000 words?

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy crap!!! I wants me one. Now. :)

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's the other knock against the HiHy. Straight ICE SUVs are improving in fuel economy. Not as good as the Highlander hybrid, but improving. Coupled with the price difference, its lackluster sales shouldn't be a surprise.

The number I remember concerning the HiHy v. Explorer space, is that the Explorer has 10 cu.ft. more cargo area with the seats up. The 2013 2.0 Ecoboost is now rated for towing. The 2000# rating is less than the HiHY, but likely meets the needs of most people who would use these vehicles for towing.

Perhaps the next gen will have a big fuel economy improvement like the new Camry hybrid, but I have my doubts. The current price has me feeling that Toyota only offered it in the first place because they were making the Lexus. HSD also isn't a good solution for trucks. It's great for cars. In order to compare to other SUV in towing capablities, the system needed a third motor driving the rear axle. A fuel efficient way to do AWD, but an efficiency penalty for those that only want and need a 2wd tower.

I think we have to wait an see what comes from the Toyota and Ford partnership for hybrid trucks, and maybe even American sized minivans.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I want to say the V6 is 3.5L, but that could be just that seems to be the typical V6 displacement. I'm pretty sure it is Atkinsonized. Keep it mind Toyota and Ford hybrids are eCVT. They have no mechanical similarities to a CVT. It's in the designation because that's how they act. No shift points like a step transmission.

I think the Murano has a V6 and CVT combonation.

7. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I've said elsewhere, I'd love to see a base Highlander Hybrid with a 4-cylinder ICE, 2WD, manual seats, inflation kit vs. full size spare and other weight saving measures. It would be a lot cheaper and also more fuel efficient. Those that want V6 AWD can buy a higher trim or option package, like on every other SUV.

The 2WD Ecoboost Explorer does look nice on paper. It would be interesting to know what kind of actual fuel economy it can achieve, especially around town. My colleague had a non-Ecoboost Explorer for review recently and it had a number of issues regarding child passenger seating, so I probably won't request another one.

My knock on the 2.4L Sorento 4-cyl GDI is that its actual fuel economy seemed to fall well short of EPA numbers in limited driving, especially around town where the Highlander can easily exceed EPA ratings. The Mazda5 also fell short around town, though it did as well on the highway as my Highlander Hybrid. When some of these higher fuel economy 3-row SUVs add a real stop-start system, then they will start to become solid real world options for relative fuel economy in the city as well. For now, I think many are just poseurs if you mostly drive in urban or suburban areas. I'm hoping to get the new Santa Fe later this year or early next year.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In order to get the fuel economy out of the Ecoboost, or any turbo, you have to keep it out of boost. many people don't have the discipline or desire to drive that way. The addictiveness of the boost whine and power doesn't help. So many reports for the numbers aren't as high as EPA.

There were many complaints about the new Elantra not meeting EPA. PM took out it and the Focus and showed that, as long as you keep your driving style sensible, it is possible to get or beat the EPA with them. MPG gauges can do a help to help the fleet economy for a low investment. It appears that people coming from cars without them have no idea how badly they were actually doing in their cars, and get upset that they aren't getting sticker in their new one.

Even though they may not have an impact on the EPA test results, the new CAFE regulations give credits for using start/stop systems. There's a Kia available with one, and Ford priced it under $300 on the new Fusion. Mazda has a sweet system that doesn't require a larger starter or battery. The ECM just tracks piston position and just knows which one to fire to get it running again. The 2014 Mazda6 will have regenerative braking.
    Even