1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Tire pressure warning light will not go out??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alohadawn, Aug 30, 2012.

1. alohadawn

alohadawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2007 prius and after a few days the tire pressure light went on and off for a few days, I since measured pressure and filled to the exact amt. and now the light stays on all the time{approx 5 days now} manual says contact toyota dealer , I have no money for that and do not feel anything is wrong, anyone else with that problem with light not going out? Thanks!! dawn

2. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had this happen when it was under warranty....they replaced the contraption underneath the steering wheel because it was some electronic issue...tire pressure was fine (and we can still do a manual check).

Do you know if their is a fuse to shut off the idiot light? I'm with you.....just ignore it

3. alohadawn

alohadawn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! quess I will look into a fuse for that, the tires are brand new... thanks for reply

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you try the tire pressure warning reset switch below the steering wheel? Instructions in the owner manual. BTW, most here recommend at least 40psi in the tires for better MPG.

There is no fuse just for that system as it shares power with others. It's better to have it working properly.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you just got new tires, it's possible that the tire shop damaged one of the sensors or a coincidence that the battery in the sensor went bad at the same time. If you know the tires are fine, I wouldn't worry about it right now as the TPMS isn't an integral part of the vehicle. It'll still drive and do everything else just fine, you'll just have to tolerate a light on the dash.

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    +1. A few months ago I got early warning from the TPMS when a screw got buried in one of the tires and caused a slow leak. Without the TPMS I probably wouldn't have found out about it until much later when the tire would go almost flat.

7. William Bundrant

William Bundrant New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't have a Prius but have 2007 Avalon, since buying car new the light has always been on, never could fix it even under warranty, stayed on forever. This weekend need new tires went to COSTCO, was told if they put 4 new tires on it can not leave there with that light on. Said sensors cost about $73 a piece if defective. They had me pull the car around, they used a sensor they just touch the tire with and it instantly told them the tire pressure and if the sensor is good. They inflated all 4 tires to exact pressure and all sensors were good. They then checked the SPARE TIRE, it was low and that was what caused the light to stay on. Replaced tires, no new sensors needed, filled up my spare and the light is now out for the first time in 5 years. So try checking spare tire pressure, or if a COSTCO take it to them and they will check it for you for free. Good luck hopes this helps.

scoffee likes this.
  8. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, did you give them a tip?