1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My tires all at 22 PSI

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by sclevine, Dec 14, 2017.

1. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi everyone - just wanted to share my tire pressure experience and see if anyone has info to share...

Couple of days ago I got the TPMS warning that tire pressure was low. So I checked and was surprised to see that EACH TIRE was 22 PSI. I found it odd that all of them would be so low at the same time. I pumped them each up to 34 or so and the warning went away. I'm happy the warning is in place to let me adjust/fix before blowing out a tire, because I'm not in the habit of periodically checking tire pressure! I don't know where the PSI started since I didn't check it after my last service at the dealer which was a little over 2 months ago, or check it before I started my trip.

Does anyone know how far down the tire pressure needs to go before the warning comes on? Does 22 PSI sound about right?

I'm also wondering how it got so low, but I suspect it is change in air temperature? In early December I drove from New York to Florida. In Florida I left my car of the roof of the parking lot at Fort Lauderdale airport for a few days, where it was sunny and 80 degrees - ie: baking. Then, after returning to New York we had a snow storm and then cold temps down in the 20's. Would that kind of temperature extreme cause PSI to go down in that way? Of course, putting almost 3000 miles on the car in a matter of 10 days with the round trip maybe had an effect too.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that sounds low, but i don't know the trigger. yes, air temp has a large effect, but i suspect you were low to begin with.
    how often do you check it? what pressures are you running? if 34, consider 38/36 f/r or something similar. gives you more time between fills, and better range. i run 42/40, but the ride can be a bit harsh.

RCO and Iamjo20 like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I run my Ecopia 422 tires all at 39 (max pressure is 44 on these Japanese tires).

Factory spec for non-touring is 36 front / 35 rear. Eco is 39 front / 36 rear.

Touring spec is 33 front / 32 rear.

RCO likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many decades ago, I was told there is only about 3-5PSI difference between HOT and COLD tyres (ie, add about 4PSI if checking when they're HOT.

I suspect the gauge was incorrect, particularly seeing they all were the same. Service Station forecourt gauges are often bad and will read wrong - possibly the service centre had a bad gauge. Or - is the one which told you 22 correct? Could be both.

Now you've got them right, check them every few weeks and see how they go - but use the SAME gauge.

I found this - I couldn't spot which version is installed in PRIUS.

Toyota Global Site | Technology File

RCO and krmcg like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah you can verify that, by checking them cold and then hot. I'm rarely adding air at a service station, but If I am, will just check the pressure before starting, then bring them up say 4~6 psi, and re-check them when cold.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s New Car Features book says the warning appears “When the tire pressure decreases to approximately 75% or less of the default tire pressure set during system initialization.”
    Yes. T-SB-0345-08, “Tire Inflation Pressure Compensation and Adjustment,” which someone uploaded in another thread, explains how this works.

RCO likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sure, nobody's repealed Boyle's Law yet that I know of.

The temperature compensation TSB linked above suggests that the difference from FL in the 80s to NY in the 20s ought to be worth about 5 psi, all else being equal. Maybe you also lost some air on the way, or they were a bit low to start with. While in FL, had you confirmed the pressures were right?

The TPMS waits too long for my taste to give a warning. I pumped all my tires up to the max sidewall pressure, pressed the TPMS set button then, and afterward let the air out back to a less tooth-rattling pressure. That way the TPMS lights up a lot earlier when the pressures get low.

-Chap

RCO, Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you were a football fan living in New England you might know better.

That said, I wonder when this car had its last oil change, or service. Hard to believe that a dealer checking tire pressure could ever let a car leave the bay with all 4 tires that much under, but who knows?

The other thing I wonder about is your tire gauge — though the TPMS alarm suggests that is not it.

#8 ATHiker, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    bisco and RCO like this.
  9. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yipes! :eek:

Didn't they look a little mushy?

[​IMG]

dstahre, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    22 PSI would probably not be noticeable visually - particularly if all 4 were low.

BUT - I'm surprised that it didn't feel like the Queen Mary while driving it. I always add 2 or 3 PSI after service (my choice to have them higher), and it's noticeable in driving feel.

RCO likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you check the pressure first. When I took my Prius in for 5K check they wrote they set all tires to 32 psi, which is low for a Prius. They were actually all at 39 psi.

RCO likes this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They've always been close to specification, I just add an extra 2-4 PSI. Pressure gauges are often inaccurate, and some are inconsistent. I've got a hand one - whether it's accurate, I'm not sure, but it's consistent.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The fact they were 22 pounds means your dealer didn’t check them, chances are they have the same air the factory put in, if it were just one I’d say check the valve stem, but, in your case get a good air gauge and pump, and check once a month.
    You lose one or two pounds a month, the max pressure on the sidewall is 1/2 the bursting pressure, just like bicycle tires.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They (the tire manufacturers and the auto manufacturers) want you to check/fill the tires -before- you drive the car or at "room temperature" (20C or 70F). If it's colder add more air. If you've been driving the pressures -will- be higher, but that's not a problem, it's "normal" and desired. I bump up Pearl S' tires to 42 front and 40 rear in winter, sometimes a bit more. I run 40 front and 38 rear in summer. Rides a little rougher but it's good to have some spare air. ;)