1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Trip to the Great White North

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Prime, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Prius Prime

Prius Prime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just want to tell you about my trip this weekend in a snowstorm.

I live in metro Detroit and had an appointment in Toronto on Saturday, March 8. There was a winter storm watch for the entire area and Toronto got about a foot of snow.

Despite the worse snowy conditions I have EVER driven in, my Prius did beautifully. I kept the speed down like most of the other traffic. I followed a semi truck for most of the way between Sarnia and London--didn't draft, but kept him in sight so he could "scout" the road for me.

With the traffic speeds varying so much, it was pointless to use cruise control. (I got to press the button to switch to km per hour) There were very high winds and lots of snow in the Cambridge to Kitchener area. Traction control flashed several times but kept me on course. Basically, I didn't drive like an idiot and kept away from everyone else, to avoid problems. Later we heard that there were over 700 accidents in Ontario that day. When we got into Toronto the 401 (main highway) was closed, so we were in a huge traffic jam--car was warm, so I could coast/EV LOTS!

Temperature was about 20 degrees and winds were about 40 mph. I managed to get to Toronto at 47.3 mpg! This is the first time I've taken my Prius on this trip and I didn't have to stop for gas! Next time I go, it will be summer and I hope to get better mpg.

I have heard so many people complain about the Prius in snow, but I am happy with mine! :D

I just have the stock Integrity tires, but they are at 42/40.

Just my two cents!

Prius Prime

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Good trip. I wouldn't have driven in those conditions, but that's just my experience kicking in (I'm old ;) ).

NEVER EVER use cruise control in slippery conditions!!!

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some of use with 2004 Prius and the rare hyper-sensitive Traction Control need studed tires to just move at all. It's my understanding the newer Prius cars do well even on the garbage Integrity tires.

Feel sorry for you being around the QEW and other highways. Have had to rent cars and drive on them a few times on business while in the GTA.

I wouldn't rule out the use of tactical nuclear weapons to deal with the idiots on the QEW. Though for "routine" traffic enforcement purposes, this little gem would work just fine:

http://www.dillonaero.com/docs/DillonTacticalVehicle-1.wmv

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your tyres are new. Go back up there 30,000 miles later (and hopefully the same conditions will show up) and tell me the tyres work well in the snow ;).

Yes any worn tyre would have less grip, for sure, but the difference on the Integritys are much greater than that of other AS tyres.

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ahh... so you were in my neck of the woods. Welcome! If you ever see a Blue Prius (there's still not that many 'round here), be sure to wave...;)

The 401 can be a bit of a nightmare at times, particularly whenever there is any sort of weather or traffic 'incidents'. I travel this road every day, and is precisely reason #1 why I chose to purchase this vehicle.:p

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys down south in Canada. I always sounds funny to say that.

Tom

7. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Living in Montreal's rich West-End, land of the SUV, I now have another reason for low MPG (or litre/100km).

Flattened snow packs on the streets.

My Prius being much lower between it's belly and the road, whenever there's more than around six inches of packed snow, I scrape the snow.

Makes an awful sound, I always think I'm going to lose my exhaust system.

Of course the SUV's pack the snow somewhere between 6-8 inches (if not higher) driving through snowed streets, and pack it down.

When I follow them, it's hell. If I'm first on the street, I feel like I'm snowboarding.

Seems like every other week this winter. We've had over so much snow fall here in Quebec it's unreal. Snowbanks are twice the height of my Prius, all over the place.