1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My TSB EL010-04 Update Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Sep 18, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Evan, there has got to be a Patron Saint for "intelligent customers seeking a solution".

If so, I'll see if I can get a medallion for you with their picture on it.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"45243)</div>
    :lol: :oops:

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. FarNorth

FarNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Evan,

I have had both of the EL010 updates completed. Thanks to your post of your experience, I informed my service rep that the SE/SS should not be disabled during the update.

After return of the vehicle (had to wait 6 days for the mileage-programmed meter) to be returned with my current mileage, SE/SS worked fine.

The guess gauge seems to be responding more correctly- took over 40 miles for each of the 2nd & 3rd bars to disappear. Before it was a pattern for the 2nd & 3rd to both go away in less than 30 miles for both and for the last one to start blinking almost immediately. I am continuing to run it down to the flashing point to prove that my bad experience (max 8.5 gal. refills) is also fixed by the TSB.

BTW: Free loaner Camry was provided during wait for new meter.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a call from the dealership about 3.5 hours after dropping it off. Claim it is fixed, with 2 working fobs (two old ones can\'t be programmed to work after the TSB EL 001-04 oscillator replacement). I\'m going to pick it up in about 15 minutes and I\'ll try to get as much info as I can about how they got it fixed and what problems were solved and will post what I can learn here.

I\'m VERY relieved. Thanks for the well wishes. :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :) :) :p :p :p :p

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

YYYYAAAAAAAaaaaaaa Evan your the best Guniea Pig we have here at PC.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bringing it all together...

1)It doesn't appear to matter, for the TSB EL 010-04 (fuel guage TSB) if the SKS is turned on or off. That was a red herring to the whole problem.

2)TSB EL 001-04 (Speed Pass/oscillator replacement)and TSB EL 010-04 are not the same thing!!!

3)IF you have the TSB EL 001-04 done make sure to bring them all your old fobs and they give you only NEW fobs. That, according to the service manager, is the only real issue that caused all my trouble. That is, when they inadvertently did the EL 001-04 TSB they gave me back only my old fob and apparently didn't go through the whole TSB and programming (the service mgr. claims it didn't say anything about that in the TSB bulletin, but I posted it above and it clearly states that the old fobs won't work and you have to use the new ones and goes so far as to explain how to transfer the batteries from the old fobs to the new ones and the exact algorhythm for programming them, etc. Seems that got 'forgotten' and never realized.

4)If #3 occurs, don't let them replace the SKS ECU--it's not necessary, they just have to program the new fobs properly.

When I picked up the car today it was freshly washed (even the Service mgr. said it was the least they could do). I didn't get charged for the oil change I'd had done a week ago....but, oddly, I don't remember a sticker to have my oil changed being in the car until I picked it up. I'm a little concerned they gave me another 'complimentary' oil change dumping my fresh Mobil 1 synthetic!! :eek: I'm not sure though, there's nothing about it on the receipt and the mileage for the change is closer to what I was at (+5k miles) last week. So maybe I didn't notice the sticker or they just remembered to put it on today.

I double checked that both fobs worked inside and out--they did. I double checked that both mechanical keys unlock the door--they do. I checked that the radio presets, reverse beep, and door unlock settings were as I like them--they were.

I am a happy happy camper again!!

Thanks all for your support....
    Signed,
    Your favorite Guinea Pig!! :D

8. Frank Hudon

that is really good information Evan, might not hurt to assemble it into a note and put it in the KB for others to print out when taking in their cars.

9. mongo

mongo Junior Member

We got TSB EL 010-04 (fuel guage TSB) two weeks ago. We drove to the blinking last bar and then put in 8.5 gallons. Not the improvement I expected by a long shot.

The other problem is that our mileage has dropped. A lot. We were averaging about 45 mpg before the "upgrade" and are now running about 35 mpg. The weather has gotten colder lately, but still...

We'll run out this tank and see if that improves. Perhaps the number it's showing is not accurate.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mongo,
    There's no reason at all your gas mileage should be affected by the TSB...it simply doesn't factor into the fuel usage in any way. Weather and other factors are much more likely.

I, too, am not seeing the improvements I'd hoped for in the fuel guage or the ability to fill the tank. I dropped to 3 bars showing at 273 miles into my current tank and am averaging 51mpg....

That means I've used, at most, 5.5 gallons of gas out of 11.9...I should be showing 1/2 tank or above, not 2 bars below. I don't know if cold weather is a factor (it can affect the bladder size and it's been below normal since 10/8 here), but that is simply not an improvement and it may be worse than before though I'll want several tanks in a row to be sure.

At this point I really feel that only those with really terrible fuel guage issues should have the TSB done. It's just not worth the risk:benefit if my experience is the norm. I've seen a few claiming significant improvements. I've seen a few saying it's unchanged. None really saying it's worse.

11. Frank Hudon

If it's a lot colder the first thing I'd do is check your tire pressure and make sure it's up. Second the cold is the biggest factor in the "bladder" issue. If it gets really cold you can hardly put 8 gallons in it. (converted from Metric) It's something we from the north live with and accept.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A tiny followup to my comment about the possible complimentary oil change they didn't tell/ask me about. I got a chance (worked all weekend) today to check the tire pressures. Sure enough, they'd dropped them down again (well below factory specs actually). That makes me about 99.9% sure they dumped my 1 week old Mobil 1 synthetic for Castrol with their attempt to do me a favor for all the trouble with the SKS.

Argh!! Guess I'll just live with it for 5k miles, but it sure is annoying. I wish they'd have given me a coupon or asked me if it was OK or something.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"45770)</div>
    If I were you, I'd make them change the oil to my brand of choice at my earliest convenience at their expense. It should take no more than 15-20 minutes, while I wait and monitor their work.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"45796)</div>
    If I were you, I'd make them change the oil to my brand of choice at my earliest convenience at their expense. It should take no more than 15-20 minutes, while I wait and monitor their work.[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"45796)</div>
    If I were you, I'd make them change the oil to my brand of choice at my earliest convenience at their expense. It should take no more than 15-20 minutes, while I wait and monitor their work.[/b][/quote]

Nah, it's just not worth it at this point. There's no harm in the mineral oil and my time is too valuable to sit around the service dept. any more than I already have. They were trying to do the right thing by me, I ultimately got both oil changes for free (other than the cost of synthetic I'd purchased for the first change). I'll switch back the next change....only 4300 miles away!!

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel Guage Update:

I'd call this my first "Real" tank since the TSB was performed. All the rest I filled up prior to the last bar flashing or the car was at the service dept. trying to get the SKS fixed and the mileage got reset or something interfered with my driving the car as I usually do and filling just after the last bar flashes.

Unfortuanately even this tank may not be "real" as it was much colder here this past few weeks with temps dipping to the high 30s and low 40s (I did NOT however see the yellow snow flake).

Even so, the dropping of bars was much faster than expected. My last bar started flashing at 430 miles into the tank while I was averaging over 53mpg (my worst tank in 3-4 months btw). Knowing I had more I drove on to the 478 mile mark.

Shut off was at 8.5 gallons, pulling the spiget back and nursing I got up to 9.0 gallons in the tank. Computer had shown 53.7mpg, calculator says 53.1mpg.

I say I'm not happy. Still, my largest fill after almost 14k miles is 9.6 gallons in the tank. I had high hopes for the TSB to resolve the fill and accuracy issues. Although the guage seems to fall at a more predictible rate it is now predictibly inaccurate. Had I filled at the first sign of flashing and stopped filling at auto shut off I probably would only have gotten 7.5 gallons in the tank.

This is no improvement at all.

We'll see how the next one goes and then I'll probably close this thread.

16. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I filled up today. The gauge was on 2 bars for maybe 75 miles, and then was on 1 bar for no more than 15 miles when my add fuel warning hit. I was only 484 miles into the tank. 15 miles later I filled up and could only get 8.5 gallons into it. MFD said 58.8 mpg, so I'm sure I had another 100 - 150 miles in the tank. But previously I had run out of gas 73 miles past the add fuel warning, so I don't have a clue really how much gas is in the tank.

I was really looking forward to getting mine "fixed", but I have decided not to. It's not worth it since there is no apparent significant improvement, and I can't afford to not have my car for more than a couple days with my 100+ mile daily commute. Does anybody know if there is a time limit on the TSB in case I change my mind later?

Thanks everybody for all the info.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not having looked into this thread for some time, I decided to have the work done after being unable to fill my tank on two occasions: The nozzle clicked off with the tank only half or 2/3 full.

The service man had my car for an hour to "get needed information" from the car, but thought it was silly to keep it while waiting for parts. I tried to explain the odometer thing, and suggested he send in a higher number, aiming to have the parts ready when my actual odo reading matched the one sent in, but he didn't seem to grasp the idea, and I didn't really care, as long as I didn't have to be without my car.

I think he didn't believe that the gas gauge computer was also the odo computer. After all, what's a mere owner know?

It's been 3 weeks and I've had no word from them.

18. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    well I had this done... knock on wood but the guage seems to be working more like the past cars I have had.. I went from 3 bars (what I took it in at) to 1 bar (still not blinking and no "Add Fuel" message yet) a lot longer that past.. (three bars to blinking in one day).

I get a call from the parts dept.. my part "I" ordered has come it.. I told caller.. .not me.. talk to the prius tech or the svc adviser... yep it was the odo board..

Here is the funny part... The Toyota service book says it should take 2 hours to change out... MY "Master" Prius tech took 6 hours...

Heck I took me less time to install the XM radio kit..

will post finding on fix...have a 1,000 mile trip for x-mas and we will see:

1. how many miles I get until I get the add fuel
    2. how much the tank will take on based on the displayed bar(s)
    3 will post all my data... I record: Time, temp, guage, odo, and trip A, along with calculated MPG... every fill up... have data from first to current ... now to just to that data to computer...

More after x-mas...

Later