1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Used Oil Analysis Report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's my report if you guys are interested. Had 5k miles on the oil. Everything looks good except they find sodium in the oil. Since full synthetic oil does not contain sodium. My assumption is when I bring 3 qts of Mobil 1 syn to the dealer, they added the extra 0.x qt to meet the spec (I believe spec was 3.9 qt). The lab commented that less than 1 qt of dealer oil was added. If I am bringing the car to the dealer for oil change next time, I’ll tell them not to add their oil.

2. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Scotty,

Thank you for sharing this.

I am running Amsoil 2000 series 0w-30 and coming up on my 10k oil change.

I just ordered a six-pack of Blackstone oil tests.

Once again,

Thanks

storm petrol

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    storm, u r welcome. We are here to help each other out!

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Had 5k miles on the oil. Everything looks good except they find sodium in the oil. Since full synthetic oil does not contain sodium. My assumption is when I bring 3 qts of Mobil 1 syn to the dealer, they added the extra 0.x qt to meet the spec (I believe spec was 3.9 qt).

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I changed the oil myself at 5k and 10k and put Mobil 1 in (both time). But at 15k, outside temp was in the 20's. That's why I brough it to the dealer. If you look around, others have talked about changing oil before 5k. I personally don't think you should. But it's ur car, that's up to u. :)

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks for posting the UOA, ScottY. With your permission I will make a new column on my "Prius UOA" spreadsheet. I agree that the sodium is unusual. Those "unit averages" are all Blackstone's data for Prius with Mobil synthetic (including some I did). So, an expected 8 for sodium is a real number.

My evidence that this is not in the Toyota factory fill is from Tadashi's UOA, where his 5k oil had 0 sodium. Of course this does not address the possibility that your shop topped off with...something.

Maybe we ought to nail down the antifreeze possibility. I am not certain that Blackstone knows about the Toyota coolant chemistry, or even if it is unusual. The issue has not really come up before. Would you want to email them about that?

One point against your "oil guy" for drawing a cold sample. That's what I did the first time, and also got a 1% fuel.

Everything else looks like clear sailing. Once you get used to all those 0s in the wear metals, some conventional vehicle UOAs look pretty scary.

DAS

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As you may recall, I had a similar issue with oddly high Na levels. Then they magically went away on their own, which is impossible. The Virgin analysis of Mobil 1 0W-30 and 0W-20 were low teens for Na at most.

After chasing a lot of dead ends, the Toromont Caterpillar testing lab suggested I try to snag a virgin sample of the dealer oil. What a surprise that was, almost 400 ppm Na.

I mentioned to the Cat test lab that perhaps Toyota motors somehow require high Na levels. Their reply was censored, this *is* a family forum!

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tochatihu,

The original oil comes from factory. I believe that's a different oil used by dealers. That might explain why Tadashi's 5k report did not show Na.

Jayman posted his oil report before and show that dealer oil contains high level of Na.

So I think my assumption is correct, that they add the extra 0.x qt to meet the spec of 3.9 qt since I only brought in 3 qt. Yes, I emailed the lab about high Na level. They said it's safe to assume that dealer added less than a qt of their oil.

I was wondering why high Na level in oil is bad, so I PM Jayman. I would like to share this with ppl who want to know too, here's what he said,

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Scott:

Don't you hate that? They still do little things against your wishes.

Before I started changing the oil myself, I took along 3 U.S. quarts of Mobil 1 0W-30 to my dealer, and told him *not* to top it off. They were a bit concerned the oil would be too low, but after checking were very surprised to see the oil level halfway between the dots.

At that level, they had no issues with calling it Good and handing me the fob. I drove it that way for 8,200 km and the oil level stayed the same too.

The next time I changed the oil, I put in 3 litres of Mobil 1 0W-20. That put the level about 2/3 up from the Add dot. It took about 350ml to touch the Full dot.

The oil level is now slightly below the Full dot. To ensure I didn't have a motor problem, I did a sample - which needs 120 ml of used oil - at 4,000km. Everything was perfect and Na had dropped again.

Oh, I also contacted Toyota Canada and asked why they insisted on using a bulk oil with high Na, traces of sulfur, moisture, Fe, etc, to service customer cars, and passed along my concerns about the Na readings in my used oil analysis.

Two months later, no reply ....

jay

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a jug of Genuine Toyota Coolant at the hobby farm, "just in case." I called Toromont Cat and they said they could also analyze the coolant too. I'll pick up a sample bottle at the Cat shop - which is near the airport - and next time at the hobby farm I'll get a sample.

Wouldn't the Toyota coolant be an organic acid with no silicates? All HD diesel motors require non-silicated coolant due to erosion issues with cylinder liners and o-rings at the cylinder liners. Regular "green stuff" coolant has silicates, which are actually abrasive. They're also bad for aluminum heads and all-AL motors.

Otherwise I'm no longer going to pursue the Na issue. As it keeps dropping, it's fairly obvious the nasty mystery bulk oil from the dealer was the culprit, especially considering the approx 400 ppm virign Na reading.

11. HybridVigor

HybridVigor New Member

Always been curious about this - where would one go to get a used-oil analysis done? I figure it must be reasonably cheap, or people wouldn't do it as frequently as they seem to. I've always wanted to do it on the oil from my truck, but never really looked into where to do it, or how much it would cost. Any suggestions?

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
    $20 each.