1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My wifes 09 vs my 08.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Astrong1984, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Russell owns it, I believe (although it might be a joint venture. I'm unclear of the details). They're more focused on YouTube. I'm guessing it gets more views than the home website.

2. Astrong1984

Astrong1984 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok here's an update. I appreciate all the input! I tested both 12v batteries.

The 2008 is at 12.66 connected and 12.71 with the ground removed. I was replaced (or the sticker reads) 06/14. Looks good.
    The 2009 is at 12.61 connected and 12.64 with the ground disconnected. I didn't pull the battery to find the date sticker.

I swapped the tires around and took the 2009 on a 120 mile road trip. I got around 44.1 (according to the trip, which in the past has been fairly accurate, within 0.1 MPG). So I think that solves my concern. Other factors include; the snow tires are only inflated to 35 PSI. When I had them put on Discount Tire said passenger studded snow tires can only but inflated to 35 PSI. True? False? Also, on this trip, I noticed the speedo was off by about 3-4%. Same tire size 195-55-16. So these tires on the 2008 car are probably a little bit smaller (giving the appearance of better MPG, but the car is not going as far as it thinks).

Someone asked what brand tires on the 2008? They are Atlas...? Never heard of them... But I have to say, on the invoice from the dealer, they were only $258 for all four, and I would absolutely purchase them again. They handle snow and wet conditions so well!

I still have yet to hook up my MiniVCI... Someday ><.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't go higher than the max psi on the side wall.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't even go that high. 37 PSI front/35 PSI rear is plenty. Most people have trouble with their MPG because they do not check their tires regularly and end up running under-inflated. Bad for economy and bad for the tires.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have this hunch really pushing the pressures up is rough on the suspension and bearings.

6. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    if it feels like it has a lot less power, then it most likely has a lot less power and therefore consumes more fuel. Rather than waste all that money on a charger (sorry I think its complete snake oil) go through the obvious items first to bring the engine back into proper state of tune. That includes new spark plugs and PCV valve, make sure the air filter is clean and the cat is not clogged.