1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My wife's new Habanero died at 70 miles....

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by simple_in_seattle, Apr 26, 2012.

1. theprius

theprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Happy to hear though that you are happy with the dealership. I'm sure it makes this process quite a bit easier. <br>
    would be interesting if they do decide to do a quality analysis on this vehicle to prevent his happening to other ones they are making!

2. donny612

donny612 "Captain Jack Sparrow"

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Were the Prius C not so popular with plenty of models and colors in stock at the dealer, simply replacing the car MIGHT have been an option and probably what SHOULD have occured. Since that's not the case here I think they're doing the best they can...

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would like to point out a few things. Keep in mind that dealership technicians are NOT PAID for any diagnostic time spent on a car under warranty. They are only paid for the part they change out. So whatever poor tech ended up with this car is going to have a very bad paycheck coming. I wouldn't be surprised if the car has been shuffled around between a few techs.

Second thing, the car is a new model. None of the techs are going to be particularly good at troubleshooting this one.

Based on the description of the problem, it is likely something very simple. It could be something as simple as a bad connection on a wire-harness somewhere. Those are the most difficult types of problem for a technician to find, yet the actual fix is pretty darn simple. If it is something like that, it can happen to any car. I wouldn't "loose my faith" in toyota over something like that.

1 person likes this.
  5. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Have they provided you with a rental during this period? It seems to me that the Dealers are not getting up to speed fast enough on these new cars. I know on my Prius v the dealer had never heard of the Entunes update and basically had very little knowledge of the service bulletin to fix the exhaust. I don't know if the fault lies with Toyota or the dealer, but for the money spent on these cars, they have to be more on the ball.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    over here waranty repairs are payed for by toyota.
    but first the dealer must find out what the problem is and then can direct a bill to toyota head office
    and those bills are standard amount for any warranty so they will not get more if it takes more time to find it out.
    but the dealer carries the bill and not the technician.. thats ridiculous
    the technician is not a business man the dealer is and so being a employer comes profits but also responsibility that you don't have if your a employee

7. simple_in_seattle

simple_in_seattle New Member

Quick update:
    A Toyota Corporate Care representative called me today to walk through the case I sourced. It does sound as though they are on top of it. I've found the people at the corporate office to be intelligent and effective communicators. Actually, my local dealership people seem pretty competent as well.

The corporate case worker is going to monitor the situation and get back to me after next Tuesday's analysis by the regional technicians activities. I've asked that he follow up with me to outline what our plans are for the vehicle and in restoring my confidence in the brand or car.

70 miles and less than 24 hours of ownership........

8. theprius

theprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds totally reasonable. They are lucky to have gotten a customer like you.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just about to ask about your communication with TMS corporate. I think you're showing excellent patience considering the circumstances..and that will serve you well in the long run I think.

While the vehicle is new, the HSD and general design is not and it should not be a terribly difficult problem to resolve, though often on new vehicles corporate WANTS to be more involved so that if there is some inherent design issue or a problem with a specific part that they can change the production line immediately and nip the problem in the bud.

I look forward to hearing the outcome of this.

10. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    As someone who has worked in customer service, I just want to pop in and say that I very much appreciate how you're handling this situation. I'm sure the folks at the dealer and at the corporate office are very thankful that this happened to you, and not someone else. It's especially impressive given this particular situation. I would be devastated if my brand new car broke down the first day! But fingers crossed that it's either a small, easy fix, or that Toyota will provide you a new one if necessary.

Best of luck!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  11. simple_in_seattle

I'm having more challenges on educating my wife on how to approach this with Toyota. :) She is totally raging :mad: since it is her car.

I guess working as a mad scientist deploying emerging technologies (uber geek with ATT Labs) and a graduate degree in business have taught me there is a right and wrong way to deal with technology problems. I've experience in what works when dealing with vendors. I find that being managed in my response and dealing with these things methodically is the right approach.

Time will tell or I'll end up having the wife kick my nice person! :deadhorse: :hug:

Meg&Bear likes this.
  12. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I had that sickly feeling of an empty pit in my stomach when I read your thread. In fact, the very reason I am not in a new C right now is that my other non-Toyota car is stuck at the dealer for warranty work on the transmission. For nearly 6 weeks now! I was planning on selling it for the C down payment but had to put that plan on the back burner for a while.

Like you, I am very patient with the dealer. My trucks problem is quite rare it seems. Corporate is involved, the whole nine yards.

Anyway, back to you. You definitely are helping things by keeping a cool head and being patient. But, it seems to me that Toyota USA should just replace your car with a new one. You know, keeping the customer happy and all. You had it less than 24 hours, right? You are apparently one of their better customers with all the vehicles you have bought from them recently. Remind them of that fact politely perhaps?

I wish you good fortune and hope that they quickly resolve the issue. Think grand, maybe you are the beginning of a new Technical Service Bulletin that will help countless others.

I will watch this thread closely. I hope my new Prius doesn’t have any issues – if I ever get it. Good luck.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If keeping your cool doesn't work, scream your head off and demand a new car in front of everybody or on the phone with the big manager.

One time while I was working at the Apple Store, our manager had a customer on the phone who was demanding a brand new imac after hers was still in repair (it was new, just like your car). She was literally vicious over the phone. She was yelling at our manager. She couldn't be quieted and she wouldnt hang up. A situation like this essentially traps the manager whose job it is to provide top customer service. Therefore, he couldn't just hang up, ignore her, or give her an alternative solution at that point. The store was crazy and busy that day yet everyone took notice. This customer/phone call had become a distraction for everybody. Eventually, our manager told this customer that we'd ship her a brand new computer that afternoon.

As we employees heard about this we rolled our eyes. The lesson is if you cry and scream eventually you'll get what you want. Very few customers will ever have the guts to do it, but it works.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is going to sound strange....

But I think the fact that the OP's Prius c failed almost immediately, at 70 miles, right off the lot, is a GOOD thing for everyone BUT the OP.

If this was a common or repetative design flaw, since this vehicle has already been sold in great numbers as Aqua in Asia...and in growing numbers as Prius c in North America...I'd think you'd have a great number of early failure posts...

This is the only major one I've seen, which suggests to me, to no relief to the OP...but it suggests to me, this is an isolated incident.

To the OP? You seem to have a level head about it, and a patient understanding.

I think I would lobby for a total vehicle replacement. With your loyalty to the Toyota brand, and such an evidently catastrophic failure at such a low, low mileage? I would calmly communicate your level of discomfort.

At only 70 miles on the odometer, it wouldn't even cost the dealership or Toyota that much to make the switch. Once repaired, your troubled Prius c, would probably be an easily sold, low mileage "used" vehicle.

In the meantime, Toyota would restore the confidence of a loyal customer, whose confidence has been shaken.

I think I would be tempted to at least lobby for replacement..knowing that it all could be denied. The OP's might be an isolated incident, and perhaps the problem can be repaired and no other problems would manifest or exist. But it has to be disheartening to pay for a top of the line Prius c..and not even get over 70 miles on it before landing back at the dealership with a rental car.

I'm somewhat paranoid...or a lot paranoid depending on who you talk to...but my subconcious fear going forward would be that whatever defect they discover today? Is simply indicative of a vehicle that might have other hidden problems. Flawed logic I'll admit...but that would be a "fear" I would communicate to Toyota.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  15. simple_in_seattle

Exactly. This has been the core of my argument with the issue. I'll escalate my commitment if I feel they haven't addressed my fears or concerns after next week's activities.

16. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    70 miles, first couple days?

Simply require your money back or a new vehicle.

Surprised they are even attempting to get you to keep the car.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  17. CrusinSusan

CrusinSusan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wow, sis, I'm on your wife's side. I am (was?) in the market for a 3, despite my personal mantra (no 1st gens....no 1st gens)...but you give me pause.

Especially for me, because it would be a tight financial fit for me, and unless toyota paid for a rental during this time, I'd be ruined.

I'm totally with others that a new swap is warranted.

Best of luck to you!

18. south central

south central Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You have extra ammo too, with all of us watching to see how Toyota treats your situation. Actually, I'm still pretty miffed at them for the way they took so long to Man-up about the Camry throttle fiasco.

At the very least, you should get a free extended warranty and a couple of $100 gas cards if they repair and return your original Habanero. Best case senario (especially for your wife and your happy home) would be a different new c!

Deb

Meg&Bear likes this.
  19. mpb

mpb ção

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good to hear but since you in are in Washington State, doesn't the lemon law apply on this case?

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A car is a lemon when it's not fixable. You have to give them an opportunity to fix it, first and they've "only" had a couple of weeks.