1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My wife's Prius freaked out last night (Its the inverter)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marlin, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mg48 @ Apr 13 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]239225[/snapback]</div>
    I would imagine that in addition to converting the DC from the battery to AC to run the electric motors, the inverter would also be responsible for converting AC from the electric motors (when acting as generators) to DC to charge the battery. Therefore, if the ECU thought the inverter was bad, it might refuse to run to run the engine.

Although, to be honest, it seems like the Prius's default behavior for any major problem is to simply refuse to run.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 13 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]239262[/snapback]</div>
    This is typical of many computer systems: it's very difficult to program soft-failure or partial-failure modes. The NASA folks know how to do this for their space probes, but those of us in conventional industry never do.

With the proper system sensors, more accurate failure information could be obtained---giving the computer(s) the ability to do something good with whatever's still working. The Prius would need a bunch of sensors at probable failure points (who predicts these?) and then the appropriate "recovery" hardware: software-controlled switches, breakers, disconnects, etc. With this equipment, the computer could sense the failing components and re-route or disconnect subsystems to keep running.

The car would unfortunately cost as much as a moon mission...

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mg48 @ Apr 13 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]239225[/snapback]</div>
    It most certainly will, it's absolutely essential to start the ICE.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter has everything to with *getting* the engine running,
    though, as well as getting its output sent to the right place. But
    the inverter tends to have a little trouble performing this function
    with glycol sloshin' around over all the control electronics...
    What do they do with the *old* inverters, I wonder?
    _H*

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they send 'em back to HQ and take them apart.

kaizen- constant self improvement. that word is hammered into the heads of anyone going through tech certification, i've seen nearly all the modules DH has done.

6. wwu123

wwu123 Junior Member

As my '02 Prius just passed 70K miles, and in a few years my 100K full extended warranty will expire, I'm surprised that most people concerned with Prius longevity worry primarily about the costs of battery replacement. While that is the more likely hybrid component to "wear out" and it is currently costly, we've seen other component failures in this forum like MFD replacement ($2000) and inverter replacement ($4000 + labor) which are going to be really painful when they happen out of warranty, albeit hopefully rarely.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they do have an out of warranty exchange program for the MFD, anyone who paid more than ~$400 got ripped off by a greedy dealer.

an inverter, however, is definitely something you don't want to have fail on you.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    kaizen -- granted, and a cool idea, but I just wish the process was
    a little more *visible* to the customer base / public. There's a
    bunch of good input coming from all over that Toyota could really
    benefit from, but it's like throwing noodles at a concrete wall.
    _H*

9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Guess it is another good reason not to do the battery mode. Warranty is so important if the inverter is that expensive.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, they've finally fixed it, and my wife will be back on the road tomorrow. They got the part in on Friday, and it was supposed to be fixed by Saturday afternoon, but when my wife called them on Saturday, they told her it wouldn't be fixed until monday. Apparently they discovered on Friday that they had to hook up the battery to some device and discharge it for 24 hours. It would have been nice if they had figured that out on Thursday when they ordered the inverter.

My wife read what was on the paperwork and it didn't give me any more information than I already had. Basically, the dealer doesn't know exactly what was wrong or why, but the tech center told them to replace the inverter, so they replaced the inverter.

Hopefully it really was just the inverter and not something else that caused the inverter to fail, but I guess my wife will find that out tomorrow during her 700 mile drive.

11. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hopefully she won't need it but if she makes it to I-81 and has trouble, I can recommend the service dept of Shelor Toyota off exit 118 in Christiansburg. I took my car there while I was in school and they gave me a straight answer, and a fair deal. I'm sure they would have a Prius tech there. Can't say I recommend the Days Inn or Howard Johnson near it though. There is a good part of the area on the NC/VA border on 77 that has shoddy cell reception (Verizon)....but there is usually plenty of traffic and police presence.

12. Red Ginger

Red Ginger New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 17 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]241174[/snapback]</div>
    Here's my question. I'm a new Prius owner, and admit I'm a worrywart. I've been slowly reading the owner's manual and stopped when I got to page 25 which warns that the smart function or the wireless remote control feature may not operate properly "when facilities issuing strong electromagnetic waves such as TV towers, electric power stations, broadcasting stations are nearby" (or when another person is operating a wireless remote control function on another vehicle near your vehicle). What would happen if this type of interference occurs? Will it cause a car to haywire (like during your wife's trip), could it only affect the ability to start the car? Could it "stop" the hybrid system for a car already driving? Any thoughts anyone?

13. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Ginger @ Apr 18 2006, 05:11 AM) [snapback]241399[/snapback]</div>

You can always use the mechanical key and put the fob into the ignition slot if the smart key system has troubles (or if the battery goes dead). Everything that's important to the car's operation is hardwired and the em waves won't hurt that any more than any other car. No worries!

[edit] Once the car has started, even if you take the key out of the car and move it, it will keep running. It may give you some angry beeps, but it will keep running until you turn it off when using the SKS system

14. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Ginger @ Apr 18 2006, 05:11 AM) [snapback]241399[/snapback]</div>
    No, all the manual is talking about is that the Smart Key System uses radio frenquency transmissions to communicate with the car. That's why you never have to take the fob out of your pocket. However, if there is something nearby that is producing significant enough RF interference, then the fob won't be able to communicate with the car. Worse case scenario is that you take the fob out of your pocket to unlock the car and then stick it into the slot on the dash board to start it. And, once the car is started, it will continue to function even if it loses communication with the SmartKey fob. For instance, let's say you're driving down the highway and the battery in your SmartKey fob finally dies. The car will continue to drive as if nothing happened, with the exception of a small icon on the dash board. It will only require communication with the key fob when you try to start it again after turning it off. And, if the battery in the fob is dead, all you would have to do is stick the fob in the slot on the dash, as it doesn't need batteries for that.

That statement in the manual is simply to cover their butts. I have never encountered a problem with the SKS and RF interference in the year I've had my Prius, and I haven't heard much if anything about it on this site. But, I suppose that if you parked your car under a cell tower, or in an power company substation, you might have problems using the SmartKey System. I've also heard that keeping the key in the same pocket as your cell phone might cause problems with the SmartKey System, but my wife keeps here cellphone and fob in her purse without issue.

No amount of EM or RF interference short of an EM pulse from a nuclear explosion is going to affect the Prius any more than any other car. All cars have computers in them these days to control the fuel injectors, timing, etc. The Prius has a few extra ones, that's all.

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 17 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]241174[/snapback]</div>
    so DH was looking through the inverter section of the repair manuals... turns out half the inverter code descriptions come up as "toyota proprietary information"

so even their techs aren't clued in. probably not even the tech assist center. and in most cases they say to inspect everything outside the inverter, and if everything else is okay just replace the inverter. apparently there's some stuff noone is supposed to know there... :huh:

same for the generator. hmm.

16. Red Ginger

Red Ginger New Member

Thanks Marlin and PriusBlue, I'll sleep better tonight and worry less tomorrow.