1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My XM data subscription lost!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CharlesH, Jun 5, 2012.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's been three months, so the audio part of the XM subscription expired. I went online and added a new one and

THE DATA SUBSCRIPTION IS NOW GONE!!!!

I called Sirius XM, and they say that there is no such thing as a three-year complimentary subscription, and when I added the audio subscription, the error was "corrected" by their system. The 3-year trial data subscription showed up just fine on my XM account until today. Basically, they say "tough", "what are you trying to pull", and my account has been flagged so I cannot just call another representative. They say to take it up with your dealer. Right...

I really need this for the traffic info on the Advanced package.

My next step is to contact Toyota, but who exactly? Erica Gartsbeyn a.k.a PriusTeam? The Entune help line?

HELP!!

2. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I know there is a three year Entune subscription with the car, but rather sure all XM stuff is only 3 months then you need to pay for either Audio or Traffic/Weather, or both. I would love it if traffic is free for three years but I don't think so.

3. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I called the Toyota Entune help line, and they were VERY helpful, and confirmed that the XM data services on the Advanced (like Travel Link and NavTraffic) are a three-year complimentary plan, but the kicker is that the contract for the data services is between Toyota (Entune) and Sirius/XM, not between me and Sirius/XM, and at the end of the three-year term, I would renew my Entune subscription with Toyota if I wanted to keep it, just as I would to continue Safety Connect service. This is different from the audio plan, where after the three-month trial expires, you subscribe directly with XM for whatever audio package you want. The Entune representative says that she could see that my data subscription was in good standing, and to call back if there is any problem. She gave me a trouble ticket number to reference. Apparently it is a bit unexpected that the data service was showing up at all on my XM account page, since it is an unrelated contract between Toyota and Sirius/XM. She added that I really shouldn't have to worry about me doing something to mess up the data services by contacting Sirius/XM, since I am not an authorized party to that contract, any more than I would have any say over the cellular contract for the Safety Connect phone.

bielinsk likes this.
  4. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the follow up. That is good news indeed. I did read that the traffic wasn't showing up for another user until they had their smartphone paired and connected to the car. Still need to test that.

5. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On the Basic trim, the traffic info goes through your phone, but on the Advanced package, it come from XM data services. On the Advanced, it is still considered to be part of your Entune subscription, with XM providing the service under contract to Toyota/Entune.

6. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I don't like that. I don't care for XM. I use my phone for everything. If I want music that isn't on my phone, I will use Pandora. I don't plan on paying $10 a month for Entune after my 3 year trial......

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll keep/take what is free but anything more and I'm not paying. XM called me the other day about my audio trial running out and I said fine, thank for the call and hung up.

Thankfully you got it worked out since you were due the 3 year sub on everything except the audio portion.

bielinsk likes this.
  8. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everyone can decide for themselves what features are worth what, but getting the integrated traffic overlays on the map are worth something to me, and I plan to continue the Entune subscription that covers that. I like the remote charge management and vehicle locator, so that may get me to keep Safety Connect. The movie tickets, gasoline prices, and music features are rather useless to me, but I am probably stuck with them given how Toyota bundles tings.

9. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Having experienced first hand the benefits of OnStar during an accident; I will be keeping Safety Connect after the three year period. The automatic collision notification is worth to me the $140 dollars a year. The data package is priced low enough to provide decent value. The XM weather service came in handy during recent storms. I was able to keep track of the hail as it was approaching my area. The XM traffic is also a useful feature, it adds value to the Nav system. XM radio is the one feature I will not be keeping. It is not worth my money when I will have access to the Pandora app for the next three years free of charge.

10. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm fairly certain that Toyota considers the 3-year Entune + XM data service is worth at least $1,000 of the $7,000 mark-up on the Advanced pkg.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Oh yeah, I agree with that one big time, we sure did pay for those '3 free years'...

12. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    XM will keep calling you and calling you and calling you to the point of harassment. at some point after my leaf's subscription ended they were calling me every other night for about 3 weeks.

i like sirius XMU a lot but i will never, ever (ever) give these guys my money because of that.

13. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just wanted to confirm that while the data services no longer show up on my XM account web page, that the services are still working just fine, just as the Entune customer support rep said would be the case. Unlike with the XM service reps (who treated me like I was trying to scam them), the Entune rep was courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful.

14. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My phone service has a call rejection feature to deal with annoyances like that. Assuming that their caller id number was consistent.

I know Sirius/XM is in bad financial straits, but it is Marketing 101 that annoying even customers you lose is a very bad idea, due to the person sharing their negative experience with lots of people (as is the case here).

15. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    XM was calling me repeatedly, with the caller ID reading "Toll-free Calling" which doesn't tell me squat. They wouldn't leave a message. When I finally called them to cancel and ask that the calls stop, I timed the wait: over 20 minutes just to talk to a live person. I was told that it would take "ten business days" to remove my number from their harassment lists, and I waited another several minutes while he "got the OK from his supervisor" to do that. I told the guy that they are like hemorrhoids- a pain in the a** and hard to get rid of. I'm wondering if they turn their free-trial customers over to a telemarketing company. It's hard to imagine a worse image or business plan than to treat potential customers as they do. If I had known in advance what I was in for, I wouldn't have signed up for the freebie in the first place.:mad:

16. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You mean that you didn't also get the caller-id number? "Toll-free Calling" is the name info that is derived from the number. Most caller id units display both the number and name, but the name may be something generic, as in this case.

17. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With my particular phone, only the first line of info shows as the call comes in. Later I can go to a "caller list" and get more detailed info. But in this case, the phone number didn't mean anything, and I went online to see who it was and to read complaints from others about SiriusXM's marketing. Now if one of my kids or a friend calls, and the caller has not blocked their number, I get a name, both on the screen and verbally announced. I can block incoming numbers once a call has been received. If it is a legitimate business calling, their name should show, rather than a generic title, in my opinion. Anything else, and they are sneaking around the purpose of the do-not-call registry. If my phone blocks an incoming call, the party calling is told that they can disable blocking of their own number and call again. It's not perfect, but it does help to screen the calls. What's funny about all this is listening to the computer-generated voice mangle pronunciation of words like "California.":p

18. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all i got was "toll free call" as well. just stopped answering all evening phone calls for a while due to this.

19. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So the number on the CID from XM was garbage (I know the name was)? The caller id number is set by the end user when using a PBX type phone system such as is used by businesses, and they can set it to anything they want. What some scumbags do is set to a nonsense value like "123", to get around people who reject calls that have no caller id info.

20. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't remember now. all i know is that they have stopped calling me!