1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mysterious hanging wire and horrific engine noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ginger1, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Ginger1

Ginger1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Had a call from my wife to say that our Prius (2007 Mk2, T-Spirit model) was making a horrendous noise and she didn’t want to drive it.

When I got there it was unfortunately dark and on the roadside, so wasn’t able to do much. But could see that there was a wire hanging down from the underside, toward the driver’s side, just slightly rear-wards from the front wheel. The insulating covering was black, but where it was incomplete there were what looked like blue and white cables within it. At the unattached end, it looked like it had been cleanly cut. I have attached a picture.

The car switched on as normal, with no warning lights. On putting the car into drive, a very loud grinding/rattling noise could be heard. I didn’t leave it on for more than a second, so this is from memory. My wife described it as being like a helicopter taking off - it was very loud and didn’t sound good at all. Again, no warning lights.

There were no problems when it was driven this morning. It did do 500 miles over the weekend, driving on pretty rough UK roads.

Any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Ginger1

Ginger1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...a quick update as I’ve got to the bottom of the problem.

Someone has cut out the catalytic converter. Apparently, there’s a spate of these in London at the moment. They go up the more the economy goes south...

Toyota quoted me 2000 UKP to replace.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sounds like she hit some road debris that damaged the wheel bearing/abs sensor or cv joint.

4. Ginger1

Ginger1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it turned out to be a stolen catalytic converter. An expensive fix, and now the worry is the new one will go!

bisco likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep that’s the downstream ox sensor wire for the cat hanging down.

I thought crap they stole your cat. I never thought about car emissions testing in Great Britain but it makes sense since Europe has there shit way more together then the world we live in over here.
    The insane people in charge here don’t even believe in global warming and Exon is so grateful.

Stolen cats are real big in California which has strict missions testing you must use the factory high quality cat. Very expensive part.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Theft/vandalism insurance?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in