1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mysterious Lines on Inside of Windshield

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by C_4_NC, May 23, 2012.

1. C_4_NC

C_4_NC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A week or so ago, I noticed what looked like a short thin line of “reflection†on my front windshield just to the driver’s side of center about a foot or so up from the dash. At first I thought it was a reflection or something on the windshield. It was most noticeable in full sun – had kind of a “prism†like look to it. In last couple of days, there is another line to the passenger side of center, about same height above the dash. They are both about an inch in length and not conected (they are 3-4 inches apart). The driver side one is pretty straight and runs horizontal. The passenger side one curves upward from horizontal. If you run your fingernail across them, you can actually feel the lines (on inside of the windshield). The lines appear to have some depth to them – they appear to go “into†the glass, not just a surface scratch. If I thought a photo would show them, I would attach one but you have to get at just the right angle in the light to see them and I’m not that good of a photographer.

I have 2700 miles on the C and have had nothing impact the windshield. At lunch today, I stopped by my dealership and they could see and feel the scratches. I’ve been asked to come back tomorrow and let the service manager take a look.

I am using a Prius c Heatshield window shade but have felt around the surface of it and can find nothing that could cause this. Besides, I would hope the glass would be hard enough that a window shade could not damage the inside surface.

Anyone seen anything like this before (on either a C or another Prius model)?

I’m assuming the dealer will handle this without a problem, but am curious if anyone else has run into something like this?

2. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Link to cracked windshields in Cs - Re: Mysterious Lines on Inside of Windshield

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c-main-forum/106405-watch-your-windshield.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c-main-forum/109098-any-more-cracked-windshields.html

3. C_4_NC

C_4_NC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks ewaboy,

I had read that post earlier. At this point I'm not really sure exactly what I'm dealing with. Not like any windshield crack I've seen. These seem to be more on the inside of the windshield surface. I can "feel" the lines on the inside but not on the outside surface.

Just curious if anyone had seen something like this before. I'll see what my dealership's service manager says tomorrow......

4. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Any updates on this?

Thanks.

5. C_4_NC

C_4_NC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The dealership is bringing in someone week after next to take a look at the lines to see if they are scratches or some type of cracks and if they can be repaired.

I'll update again afterwards.

Thanks

6. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was washing the windshield of our new 'c' and saw an odd looking reflection that looked like the outline of a large(8"?) number 'zero' on the driver's side.

Had to be at a certain angle and in the right light(dim) to see it. Almost like an optical illusion.
    I asked my dealer about it, and he said it was a byproduct of new process the glass maker was using, and it was impossible to see in normal lighting conditions.

To me, it looked like it was a sticky label that had been removed, leaving a stencil of glue behind.

Now, I'll have to look again.. o_O

MGSF likes this.
  7. MGSF

MGSF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    XRinger, I have the same number outlines when the windshield is frosted over from parking outside overnight. I also have what looks like some residual shipping sticker adhesive on the base of the windshield. Keep in mind this is only viewable when the window has a light mist coating.

I've tried to use a random orbital with glass polish and a proper pad but I may not have been aggressive enough. I might have to go over it again.

Anyone have a solution?

8. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I couldn't even tell if it was on the inside or the outside of the glass.. o_O
    Since it's practically invisible 99.9% of the time, I'm just going to forget about it and see if age and washing-wear will remove it..
    Besides, it's my wife's car and she doesn't really have 20:15 vision.. :whistle:

But, what she did notice was the reflections visible at the very bottom of the window. Vents I think.
    I told her that was nothing compared to the reflections I had on the Ford Escape.
    It was horrible! I ended up covering the whole dash in black carpet. The dash color was way too light..
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/Ford%20Escape/dashmatL.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/Ford%20Escape/dashmatR.jpg

9. MGSF

MGSF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    XRinger, thanks for the update. I concur regarding the dash of this car creating some reflections but probably not as bad as your Escape!

10. Daze

Daze Prius C Owner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have this EXACT issue! When the sun angle is right, i see these spiderweb type lines in the windshield. I do not know how they got there or what they are. They really look like spiderwebs but upon closer inspection, they are in the windshield.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring