1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery beeps after car is locked

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marki, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that sometimes when I lock my car, there's 5-6 beeps coming from the engine area. There are no notifications on the LCD screen or anything else. They aren't the beeps you hear if you leave your lights on, when the FOB is left in the car, or when you don't turn off the ignition. It's a totally different sound.

When this happens, I usually unlock my car, then lock it again and the sound doesn't appear again until maybe weeks or months later. Does anyone have an idea what these beeps mean?

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you need to do some experimentation by creating various failure conditions on purpose and see which one matches the mystery sound.
    The one that I thought of first is leaving the car in park but not OFF and then walking away with the FOB.

Having said that, mine does something similar if I turn things off in the wrong sequence......I think......because turning it on and off again always solves the problem. I haven't been able to catch myself doing anything wrong but I am confident that I really AM.

Marki likes this.
  3. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply. Hmm nope, it's not the sound it makes if I leave it in ON and leave the car with the key, or try to lock the car when it's still ON. These are consecutive five or six shrill beeps and that's it. I've heard people say that if there's another Prius c nearby, this would happen, although I can't tell if I'm in a crowded parking lot if there are other cars nearby. Ugh, this is driving me nuts.

4. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It 5 beep from engine bay . SimiliAr problem with my Prius c . Check ur cabin intruder sensor/alarm it the sensor malfunction . Problems solve by changing the sensor or alarm system

5. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I find this answer rather confusing, since I thought that the C3 does NOT have a "cabin intruder" alarm; not standard at least.

I have locked mine with the drivers window down, taken the FOB away and come back without the FOB and opened the door from the inside and......no alarm.

6. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My place Prius c all come with intruder alarm , few owner have this symptom replace the system till now no more 5 beep after lock U need to wait about 30 seconds before the alarm will arm.

#6 kevtan, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
    Marki likes this.
  7. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Where exactly is "my place" ?

I just tested mine again and after waiting 5 minutes it did not alarm when the door was opened.
    I believe that US models do NOT have that feature standard.

8. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Malaysia . Ours is between c3-c4 spec but price higher than c4

9. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the email. How do I check my sensor/alarm if it malfunctions? What do I tell the service centre? I tested my cabin intruder sensors before and it worked and the alarm went off.

10. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    At first our service center also can't find the problems . It happen that one of our group Prius c member have spoil his sensor while dismantled the A pillar and everytimes he lock got the 5 beeps . My sensor also in working condition . I believe it only happen occasionally that the sensor malfunction that why the beeps only happen sometimes .

Marki likes this.
  11. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, but if it's a problem, then we should fix it before our warranty expires right? I don't want to get stuck with a malfunctioning alarm system after the warranty expires. You know these people won't fix anything unless you insist.

kevtan likes this.
  12. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That true . We got another owner have to go tru lots of argue before service center personal finally give up and change the car whole alarm system included wire hardness

Marki likes this.
  13. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you share what that person did to get it done? Most of the time if they can't replicate the problem at the centre, they will say everything is fine. So, it has to be a good enough reason for them to actually change the system.

14. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I only know he send a letter to our dealer hq demand for explanation

Marki likes this.
  15. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Will try that then. Thanks for your help!

kevtan likes this.
  16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I know mine makes the beep noise if I open the door and then shut the car off. If I shut the car off before opening the door it doesn't make the noise. Is this the beep noise you are referring to?

17. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Different open door shutoff give interval long beep . This is after close door touch lock 5 beeps coming from engine bay

Marki and ztanos like this.
  18. kevtan

kevtan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I try find back the videos previously 1 of owner recorded

Marki likes this.
  19. Marki

Marki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope that's a totally different sound coming from inside the car.

ztanos and kevtan like this.
  20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea.
    But about twice in a year, since owning my Prius, I've had a similar experience.

What I do? I unlock the vehicle, go back and check that it is indeed OFF...and that I have not left anything ON...like the lights. Then I check to make sure all doors and the hatch are firmly closed.

Then I lock it again.

So far? On the second try I always just get the regular lock confirmation beep and the everything has been fine.

I suppose I'd dig deeper to find out exactly what it is trying to tell me, but I just assume I've been an idiot, and The Prius is actually smarter than me.
    Safe assumption.

Marki and kevtan like this.