1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mystery Prius Spec

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by samiam, Jun 11, 2007.

1. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I recently purchased a beautiful blue 2004 Prius -- Lovely to behold & drive. What's more, it is somewhat of a mystery vehicle -- it has been sitting at the NZ Toyota plant (in Thames NZ) for nearly a year since being imported from Japan. The car has many more functions than an i-Tech model, but being an import the displays are in Japanese and the english language manual provided by Toyota simply doesn't address 80% of the on-screen functions (or another 10% of the dash switches).

For example, it has the japanese auto parking function (which I am now experimenting with), it has a TV function in its audio package (which I need to learn how to fine-tune), it has calendar/diary functions, extended email or web messaging functions, and many others which I have yet to explore.

I'm looking for an english-language manual or source to assist in my explorations.
    Can someone point me to a wizard?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    holy crap lol.

So you have the G-Book (which probably won't work in NZ) that uses the e-mail and web messaging functions, the TV one (not sure if it works in NZ but I guess if you can get reception, all bets are off!) and IPA.

Very nice.

The IPA allows you to parallel park and reverse stall park. You can choose the side at which you wish to park (should the box on the bottom left of the screen, opposite the "OK" or "Accept" button).

3. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "holy crap lol."

In a manner of speaking, yes - I agree

I've only begun to explore the G-book functions, (there are many) which I may or may not be able to use -- the blue tooth
    phone will apparently work - so who knows? I do get TV reception but need to do some fine tuning and it isn't immediately clear how.

I discovered the IPA "by accident" before I knew Toyota had included one in the prius. It does indeed have both parallell and stall parking modes which are way cool - I am stilll experimenting with the positioning of the warning/collision flags in the display and hope to get to the point to where I can rapidly execute the whole operation. Even though I am a masterfull parker, the sheer hedonistic joy of having the car do it for me is well worth it to me.

I'll post more as I explore further.

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Stupid American cars. Why can't I have those features?

5. silver-machine

silver-machine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Glad you've discovered the autopark ( IPA Intelligent Park Assist as its labelled in the UK models).

It is a wonderful toy but it really has only one function, which is to impress non-prius owners when you demonstrate it - they always end open mouthed in astonishment - wow a car that parks itself !

Unfortunately it takes so long to set up that you can't really use it when there is traffic around. Cool though - have fun experimenting.

There is a Toyota DVD that demonstrates how to work it- might be worth asking the dealers if they have or can get you one.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jun 11 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]459831[/snapback]</div>

Well, you could always look at the demos for the LS460 if you need tips on operating IPA. The Lexus version is called APGS or Advanced Parking Guidance System.

Positioning your car is key. If you don't position it properly, you'll be spending a lot of time adjusting the box. If you position it right, you should be able to press "OK" immediately without adjustment or very minimal adjustment because the camera can see your spot and the computer visualize the spot and guide the car in.

7. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are some of the MFD displays I'm exploring in the car today
    I'm putting them in the next couple of posts in the off chance someone might be interested in the Japanese screens (and unusual functions) and might be willing to describe the english language versions.

[attachmentid=8928]
    [attachmentid=8929]
    [attachmentid=8930]

Attached Files:

8. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A couple more...

[attachmentid=8931]
    [attachmentid=8932]

Only time for two more tonight:
    Something new & something familiar...
    [attachmentid=8933]
    [attachmentid=8934]

ABs vs Canada tonight -- Go ABs & bon chance Canada
    Ciao

Attached Files:

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jun 15 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]462876[/snapback]</div>

The top one is from the navigation screen isn't it? It's a setting to set the average speed on a residential street, a main street and on the expressway. This is used to calculate the ETA.

10. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 16 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]462884[/snapback]</div>
    Cool, the one before that contains the DNS & IP settings for the G-Book. I can play with those once I sort out a BT phone.

What about this one?

[attachmentid=8965]

The icon indicates its screen settings, albeit in a different format. I also think there may be a hidden menu that can be enabled somewhere on this page. The manual I have refers to the page as "language and screen settings" but I can't see where language is selected. Would sure make things easier for the remaining pages if I found it...

Attached Files:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. I can't read Japanese. I can only read a few characters and then make an educated guess.

The bottom right icon has the telephone characters. That's all I recognise in this shot (and of course the word G-Book lol).

Have you tried pressing the buttons and seeing what they do?

12. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh yes, very much so...

the four in the centre of the screen change the MFD background colours grey, blue, green, etc.
    (blue is shown selected).

I've now forgotton what the top two did

The G-book button takes me into a dense hierarchy of pages and subpages with some very cool displays for user customisable settings of unknown function. The telephone functions on the bottom right (also one of the few characters I can recognise) also launch me down into a large set of user-customisable pages with up to 6 different users identified. The ambulance button prompts a lot of talk from the drivers assistant, without much action that I can see.

I have a japanese student who may be able to help me with the translation of what I can see, but I'm just as keen to discover if there are service menus somewhere in here that I can also explore.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jun 17 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]463576[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, in that case, my guess for the top two buttons is the toggle (on/off) for the "automatic transition from audio/climate screen to navigation screen". i.e. Do you want the screen to revert back to the nav screen x no. of seconds after you press Audio or Climate.

14. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's what looks like a service/diagnostic screen I produced using the "six taps" routine.

Clearly the diagnostics are giving me a red flag on the DNS settings for the G-Book.
    I can't tell what the yellow/orange flags are telling me.

Any ideas as to what buttons might be safe to push based on the screen format
    and analogies with other service screens you may have seen?

[attachmentid=9034]

Attached Files:

15. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's the translation of the diagnostic screen above (thank you Saburo)

[attachmentid=9077]

Anybody know what ECU or H/U refer to?

Attached Files:

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    H/U is probably Head Unit
    ECU - Electronic Control Unit (that's a guess)