1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Myth Busters look at open window vs air-conditioning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hdrygas, Jun 5, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the biggest reason for those trucker bombs is probably the average 3 hour commute time during peak traffic situations. that covers a distance of about 80 miles.

just getting off the freeway to take a 2 minute leak will add probably at least 30 minutes to that commute.

i used to live next door to a trucker that did deliveries for Boeing in Everett and he started work at 2 AM so he could get his 2 round trip deliveries done in only 10-12 hours. if he started at 5 AM it took him 15 hours.

2. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"96266)</div>
    We could do a 'real world' test, grouping data. Drive for one tank windows down, then one tank windows up (or vice verse). Post the numbers here, giving data for open and closed windows. If we get enough posts, environmental factors will fall out as a factor.

The big problem for me, is that I prefer the windows up because the ride is so much quieter. I use Auto A/C (adjusting the temp as necessary) for comfort. So, I am not sure we would get enough data to really perform a real world test. I don't thinkI would want to drive at freeway speeds for an hour with windows down.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

I agree with oxnardprof. I like quieter cars, and I've been buying Toyotas for 20 years because they are solid cars even after 100,000 miles.

Under 40 mph on a nice day, I may open the windows, but on the highway I want minimal air noiseand I want my air conditioning. One of the things I try on those days where it's not that hot, is turn off the AC manually, and just use the fans.

But usually, I just keep it on auto AC. Right now I'm leaving work and heading home. The sun has been pouring in the car all day. What I usually do in this situation is start the car and immediately shut the AC off, then open all the windows and drive 1/4 mile that way. This will lower the temp from ~120+F to whatever it is outside or so. Then I turn on the AC and close the windows.

Today I remembered to put the *custom sunscreen on the windshield.

*available from Priuschat