1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MyToyota - Is it worth registering to?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pfreeus, Aug 16, 2009.

1. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was on the Toyota website and found a place for owners. I normally never register stuff I buy but b/c the Prius was a big investment, was considering it so wanted to get the thoughts of the folks here?

Have you guys signed up for MyToyota and if so, was it worth it? I don't want to get spammed but if there are coupons for oil changes and such, I wouldn't want to miss out.

Thanks.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I registered and maintained my oil changes and other stuff for a while. I haven't been back in quite a while.

Worth it? I'm not sure.
    I think it's a personal thing.

3. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YES to registration because look what I found!

I had registered at the site before I got my car and just recently went back and was VERY surprised by what I found. I was able to access my dealer's maintenance records for my 2010 Prius. There were three entries - PDI (the dealer prep before delivery), ACCESSORIES (when they got me my all weather floor mats which were part of the deal), and GENERAL BODY REPAIR. :eek: SAY WHAT???? Under "View Details", it said "scratch on hood - color, sand, polish hood". That was the first I had heard of this! Obviously, something happened during transport which they had to fix. I looked the car over before I took delivery so I guess if I could not see it, they did not need to disclose?

I have not been bombarded with e-mails, etc. from this site (that I am aware of).

4. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hawaii Toyota Owners need not apply...
    There is nothing tying Hawaii to Toyota USA.

5. Pizza_Daddy

Pizza_Daddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!!! You could sign up and if you ever decide to sell your prius, you could print out all the records for the potential buyer. Instead of them having to buy a car fax.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You need it to access owner's manual online.

7. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is the owner's manual a pdf?
    I would love to have a copy of that for reference at home when I am to lazy to go to the Prius.
    Anyone willing to email one to me?
    Thanks,
    Alan

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, it's broken down into many small pdf files. Not practical to download all of them, so I just log in and search online.

9. alanderego

alanderego Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you mean log in to MyToyota, Hawaii owner's cannot even register.
    It does not recognize the VIN.
    Toyota Hawaii is not a part of Toyota USA.
    I tried searching online and no dice.
    Maybe it will be more widespread in a few months.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I signed up a while back. They will not spam you with any junk mail. If you're still concerned, provide a disposable email address. The records of service are not anything that looks authentic so I would not use them when you sell the car. I scan all my invoices and have everything filed online. The online manual for some off reason is broken down into many many PDF files. I have no idea why as the print version is less than 300 pages. It is faster to reference the print version that trying to sort through all those PDF files. They don't even have titles on the PDF files so you have no clue where to even search. However, overall, I just like the idea of using the service especially if it is free.

11. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I registered my Toyota 4Runner when the site started. One week before my 2010 Prius arrived it showed up on the web site under my login with the VIN #. I never added the car. The dealer must have posted my name on the car before it sold.

Every time you take your car into a Toyota service center the site will keep track of your records. This is good for a service history of your vehicle. Over the 10 years I owned my 4Runner I spent less then $1,000 in repairs. I put over 305,000 miles on the 4Runner.

[​IMG]

12. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Pfreeus, I registered after I received the VIN of the Prius I was buying so I could review the owners manual. I downloaded all of the many, small files and did some reading before I took possession.

Was it worth registering? I don't know, yet. I haven't received any unwanted or SPAM e-mails, but I also haven't signed in since I downloaded the manual files. The dealer doesn't use or doesn't have access; they've sent me three letters since I purchased my car, by US Postal mail. --TK

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think if you get spammed or get a lot of junk mail after you buy a new car it may be the dealer or the finance company and not Toyota. I have been signed up at the Toyota Owner's site for 4 years now and have never gotten any junk mail or junk email that I can attribute to them.

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As others have said, I like to be able to search the owner's manuals online, but that's all I've used it for.

15. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your replies and putting me at ease about the spam.

16. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is definitely a positive site to register to. As has been said, you can keep track of everything about your car, and print out these files when or if you ever decide to sell.
    There is a site where you can sign up for a newsletter, which I did do, and even with the newsletter, I only hear from them very sporadically, certainly not often enough to be a nuisance.
    The dealer only has access to your email, if you have given it to them, (which I did) and I only hear from them after a servicing to ask how I was treated.

;)

1 person likes this.
  17. FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I registered for MyToyota after our recent 06 Prius purchase. I like the maintenance tracking feature...although I have my own Excel spreadsheet that I use. So far the only email I recieved from them was from when I registered. Our vehicle didn't come with an owners manual...so the online manual has been an asset.

FlyboyTR:)

18. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    another advantage of MyToyota is you'll get a flag on your "home screen" when there's a recall for your car based on VIN.

19. u4eah

u4eah New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I registered my CPO Prius I purchased in August. The dealer charged me for "etching" and said it was a non-refundable fee. When I registered the car with My Toyota, I noticed the same car already had the "etching" when new in 2008. I filed a complaint with Toyota (no response) and the dealer, who would only refund my money after I threatened to call the Attorney General.

20. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the week after I bought my used Prius from a private party, I could not register. I tried it a month later and got in. I found the maintenance history of the years before I owned it confirming the words of the privius owner (sorry -- I had to let that typo slip through here on this site...), and it confirmed the assurance by phone by the original dealer that the car had it's 2009 recall performed. I like the owners manual. Too bad that my current history will not be logged because I won't be going to my local Toyota stealership for regular stuff.