1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nail in Rear Tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jnkapil, Jun 26, 2006.

1. jnkapil

jnkapil New Member

I bought Toyota Prius in Jan '06. Today(06/26/06), I went for its first service(5328 miles). After the service, I was told by the service guy at toyota dealership that rear right tire has a nail and its non-patchable. :eek: Has anybody else faced similar situation. Could you please guide me as to what is the best way out. Does tire warranty takes care of it?

tia,
    Kapil
    Silver Prius '06
    Package #3

2. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kapil Jain @ Jun 26 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]277096[/snapback]</div>
    I had a BOLT(5/8" dia, 2.5" long) in my driver side rear tire about 2 weeks after I took delivery of my '06 Prius. The Firestone dealer that I took the car to was skeptical whether they could plug/patch the tire due to the dia size of the bolt. They had a big enough plug, and the worked the plug/patch. So, if you have anything smaller than what was stuck in my tire, it CERTAINLY can be patched/plugged. 5K miles later, I have yet to put air in my 42PSI inlated drivers side rear tire. Warranty didn't cover it, but the repair cost < $20.

JL

3. jnkapil

jnkapil New Member

Thanks John.

I would take my car to some Car shop to get a second opinion whether the tire could be patched. Btw, while searching for new tire, I found that Goodyear Integrity is available at Sams' club for $63.

Kapil

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    does the 06 have the road hazard warranty? check your paperwork, you could be reimbursed for replacement if they're still doing that.

5. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 26 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]277155[/snapback]</div>
    It's my understanding that in roadside/road hazard isn't included on the '06 models.

JL

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was in the tire business in the early 80s. At the time, it seemed to be pretty standard industry practice not to try to repair a tire with a hole anywhere from the edge of the tread to the bead. The thought process was that because of the constant flexing of the sidewall, a patch or plug wouldn't hold. Holes in the flat part of the tread, no problem. We also never used plugs, even for holes in the tread; we always patched them from the inside. Sorry, I can't remember now why, other than we thought it was a better way to fix them.

Admittedly things have changed a lot since then, so I have no idea what the current industry standard might be. Flexing sidewalls certainly haven't changed, but tire repair technology may have changed a lot.

I agree with getting a second opinion. But I'd make it a reputable tire store, not just any auto repair shop. Not to slight the latter, but I want the decision whether it's fixable and the repair itself done by those that do it every day. You might pay a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Jim

7. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

That would be the thing, find out where the nail is and WHY it is not repairable.

I had some similar sized bolt that johnnieliu had. The guy at the service station said it was too big to plug, but they could probably fix and patch it from the inside. It was more 4 because he had to dismount and remount the tire.

It was fixed and 7000 miles later, no air leak, no problems.

BUT, from a flat on another car a couple of years ago, edge of tread out, not safe to repair. With only 5k miles, one new tire shouldn't present a problem with handling... 15k on these tires, you might be loooking at a new set

8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Small holes in the tread area may often be patched by a plug, or an inside patch, or sometimes both. Gashes or holes in the sidewall should not be patched. Additionally, tires with a plug or patch should be rotated to the rear where there is less weight and less weight transfer in a normal car. Also, should the patch or plug fail, it is easier to control the car if the blowout in on a rear tire.

9. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We had a new roof put on the house last year and, although the guys did a great clean-up job, they seem to have missed one nail, which I found. Well, actually I never found the nail but, one day while I was at work, I got a phone call from the receptionist asking if I drove the white Prius. Someone coming through the parking lot noticed that it had a flat tire and told her about it.

I went out to look at it, and it was pretty clear that I had driven some distance on the flat. So, I jacked it up, put on the spare and went to a local tire store (Les Schwab). They repaired it for free even though I hadn't purchased the tire there (they like to build good will among potential future customers!) The tire has been fine for almost 9 months now.

The most amazing thing to me is that I didn't even notice the flat while driving! When I got home, I looked at the tire tracks in the driveway and I'm pretty sure that the tire must have been flat when I left for work that morning. I have a 20 mile commute over hilly, curvy 2-lane black top and only noticed a kind of odd instability around one or two curves, almost like I had hit some ice.

Anyway, try a local or regional tire shop or even a gas station that still has some service. They may be able to fix it for little or nothing.

10. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

Good points! The bolt that got stuck on my Prius' tire was in the flat part of the tire.

A few years ago I bought some new tires as Costco. the next day I found a metal "sliver" that penetrated the sidewall, that was unrepairable. Went back to Costco and they gave me a new tire.

So, depending on where the nail/bolt penetrated, the tire might not be repairable.

11. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

A good repair shop will not use plugs, only patches on the inside. If any part of the patch comes in contact with the curve of the beginning of the sidewall they will declare it unrepairable because tire flex can loosen the patch. Holes in the actual sidewall are unrepairable as well.

For $100 +/- mounted and balanced vs your life and maybe someone elses, it's worth it IMO to replace that tire rather than risk a plug.

I just went through two brand new front tires on my other car at $240 a pop for same situations. Painful but necessary.