1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nail in tire

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 3PriusMike, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here is what happened. I was checking the air in my 2010 after getting new tires a couple of weeks ago. So I checked my PIP too and one tire was 3-4 psi lower than normal...but didn't notice anything odd. A couple of weeks later brought in my PIP for 15K service. Dealer calls and says I have a nail in my tire. At the time I forgot about the low psi. The dealer wanted $180 to replace, because it couldn't be patched/plugged, so I said no.
    I went to get the car and no nail could be found.
    Eventually someone found it because the tech who wrote it down must have two right hands. Sure enough there was a very worn nail about 1.5 " from the edge. I decided this would be a good chance to try my plug kit and $5 Harbor freight 12v compressor. I know there is some "legal" limit on how close to the side wall can be commercially plugged, but I've done this before and had it last 20K miles or more.
    I attached the compressor, pulled out the nail, reamed the hole and tried to insert the plug. The Harbor freight plug tool then bent and broke at the handle...rendering it useless. I put the nail back in, used my real air compressor to refill and I went to Sears 3 blocks away and got a new tire.
    I'll also be getting a higher quality plug kit.

Mike

2. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Mike,
    I have had several plug handles brake on me (especially when trying to get thru the belts on a truck tire!). As I am sure you will, get a (couple of! ;o) higher quality "T-Handle plug installers. I would keep that tire and plug it anyway. (actually, I'd of gotten another "T"-handle to plug it and use it, but sometimes time, convenience, wife driving and other factors make the new tire a good choice to.

Thanks for the thought to check harbor freight for an inexpensive 12v compressor! I was going to look closely at the various slime "Kits" to see which might work OK, but be small enough to (hopefully , dreaming probably!) fit in the factory repair kit storage area (even if I had to cut away part(s) of the molded plastic).

How did the Harbor Freight compressor work. I don't need a big fast compressor, since it should rarely, (if ever hopefully ) be used. But 20 minutes + to go from completely flat to 35 lbs. might feel too long. Besides telling us how long it took, the other factors of smaller compressors: What pressure was it able to get you up to? The mini compressors will get hot, but did it seem like it wanted to melt itself, or it's cables? Did the cigarette lighter plug, which will also get hot, seem to be OK?

My plan is to find a workable compressor that can be stored out of the way (at least in the rear charge plug storage area, but much preferably in the small bin to the left of it. Also (but to plan to never have to use), the smallest bottle of 'Slime', in case it must be used.

Personally, I'd love to hear your and other's 'replacement' compressor/ flat repair kit purchases (and especially how they worked if you had to use them!). So thanks Mike for reporting on this sparing issue. ;)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got one of these. In my case, too, the nail was deemed to close to the edge, unfixable. Plugged in last winter while the wheel assembly was off the car, and have run it a year, no problems.

Kt-330 - BlackJack Tire Repair

4. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The 12v Harbor Freight compressor was slow...I did try if before and it went from 35 - 40 psi in maybe 5 minutes. My tire was still leaking a bit so I used my big 120v 100 psi compressor to refill the tire. I'm unimpressed with the $5 compressor...but not bad for the money.

Mike

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the only problem with chinese tools, they're chinese.:cool:

rogerv likes this.
  6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So what's the consensus on the tire goop/can that comes with the car? Works ok to hobble to somewhere?

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No personal experience with it here, but from what I have read, if you use it you are likely to face a big bill for replacing the TPMS sensor. I think there are aftermarket "slime" products that won't damage the sensor. As I've posted before, I would rather carry a spare and take the flat to my tire dealer for repair.

8. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I go on a long trip I will likely carry the spare from my 2010. But for everyday driving within an hour from home I'm just risk getting a flat. I've had 3 flats in the last 25 years and all have been slow leakers from a nail...not a sudden blowout. The one I just had (nail) was probably in there for 3-4 weeks...if I just left it alone it would have been fine for longer. When I think back, all 3 nails where due to the fact that there was lots of construction going on along my commute. In the most recent case they are building houses about 200 yds from my work. I probably drove by this 100 times since the construction started. I'm now driving on the next street over.

Mike

9. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like Roger, What I have read is that you SHOULD NOT USE THE FACTORY GOO air compressor kit unless there is no way you can get a tow! The factory goo (I've read) is gauranteed to ruin the TPMS sensor (in the valve stems). The one person who reported on his flat tire ordeal (using goo kit from factory) said the dealer quoted him $200 to replace the ruined TPMS valve stem assy and (I think?) $134* to replace the factory goo kit! All this was on top of the tire repair or replacement costs. (*I will sell my brand new factory goo kit for a lot less than that :whistle: ) There is no way that kit stays in my car to get 'accidentally' used. I will be placing in the car a good quality 'T' handle plug kit plug and a 12v compressor that can attach directly to the tire (to re inflate the more common slow leak that sneaks up on you. And 'maybe' a bottle of Slime brand goo. This brand's label says it will not harm the TPMS sensor. I would have to do some reading to verify that before using it.

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you supply a link of what you would recommend, please?

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Watched the videos, this looks pretty cool. Even if one is not confident with it marketed as a permanent repair, at least it buys time to get the tire fixed at your convenience. Since most tire leaks are slow, not blow-outs, this should work.

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not an expert and I don't play one on tv. In other words, something simple works great until you have a chance to have it fixed by an expert.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't see why not. It looks like a decent fast repair to get you going again.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just today I found a nail about 1" from the sidewall. My wife took the car to Les Schwab and they patched it for free. My understanding is that if the puncture is through the tread portion of the tire, it can be patched. If it goes through the sidewall, it cannot.

I recently found a .22 caliber bullet in my tire, and decided to pull the bullet out and use a can of green goo to fix the leak. After pulling the bullet out, I immediately backed up so the leak would be at the bottom of the wheel, then filled with green goo. The whole process ended with a can of green goo on my garage floor, as it just blew through the hole in the tire.

I'll never use a can of fix-a-flat again, regardless of TPMS or not. A plug kit with a small inflator gets my vote. I'd go for an inflator that connects directly to the battery instead of the cigarette adapter ones. The 10A limit on the Cigarette adapter just isn't enough power to inflate a tire in a reasonable amount of time. I've spent half an hour just running a compressor to inflate a tire before. Not only that, but many people have experienced melted plugs from drawing too much power from the cigarette adapter.

For my motorcycle, I have a plug kit with CO2 cartridges to reinflate the tire. Fortunately I've never had a puncture in a motorcycle tire.

19. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I may ask. How did you get a .22 cal. bullet in your tire?

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Couple of things that bug me with the dynaplug:

1. With traditional plug repair you end up with a double thickness of the cord, not single per the dynaplug. Could be a moot point, not sure.

2. With dynaplug you end up with this little metal nose cone dangling in there. Again, not sure of the significance.

The regular plug repair I've done has hung in fine, and it was quite near the tread edge. I'm inclined to think a lot of these temporary plug repair slowly morph into permanent, in the owners mind. It was permanent in my mind from the get go, once I saw it was holding air just fine.