1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Narrowing down battery issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bgustafson, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Not yet, I've been hearing mixed things about if I need to do that. It's clearly the hybrid battery most people are saying.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well the good news is it Sounds like your inverter works and charges the battery.
    But yes 12v must be checked with nothing on...
    1. If in accessory mode (power button pushed without foot on pedal = non ready mode) you will see abnormally low voltage bc of things you have running (interior lights, fans etc)
    2. If done in ready mode (power button pushed with foot on brake) you will see abnormally high voltage since the inverter is charging it. (usually around 14.1 upon first startup settling to the 13's)

If your main battery won't ever get the bars up that means it won't charge but usually the case will be it charges abnormally fast and DISCHARGES abnormally fast when a load is put on it like driving slow or even sitting all night. After sitting all night the bars may falsely appear still charged until you drive it to the end of your driveway and it plummets.

Traction batteries Rebuilt roughly lasts around 100k and new around 200k.

These guys Services | Hometown Hybrids are in Houston but have several satellite units.

To give you an idea of rates Last I checked they advertise

"Depending on your needs, our mobile service will rebuild your existing battery or install a new or used one for a fraction of the dealership cost!
    Generation 2 = 2004-2009
    Generation 3 = 2010 and up
    Model of Car Cost Warranty
    Prius Gen II Rebuilt $1,000 1 year
    Prius Gen II New $2,700 3 year
    Gen III rebuilt 1100.00 - may knock $200 off for being previous customer. "

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are a fairly young person.

IF.....you continue to believe what "most people are saying" without some actual tests or verification........you will spend a TON of wasted money over your lifetime........and maybe even get into some danger in other situations.

In this case, BOTH batteries can be tested to be sure.
    But if the tests are inconclusive.......the 12 V costs about $200 and the HV costs about $2000.
    If you are going to guess and gamble, which one do you think would be the wise bet first ???? ;)

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You said your hybrid battery is not charging but inverter is working at least DC direction to charge your 12v.

The codes say its your large battery.

The 12v battery normally dies in about 5 years anyway so no loss replacing that, but I have a feeling your big one is toast.
    It's easy enough to test at the dealer, they won't charge you to test it.

If you don't trust the stealership most good mechanics can do it.

Rebuilts are good for 100k if the rebuilder is good, but a new good for another 200k.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please cite sources for this claim.

The reports on this site certainly do not support milage anywhere near this, some are lucky to get 10,000 - 30,000 mi and many are failing within 6 months.

#25 dolj, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    fotomoto likes this.
  6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not an authoritative statement nor can it be since it's totally dependent upon the good conscious of the person rebuilding it.
    They have to pick the right cells after adequate testing then test as a whole.

This is very time intensive and many will cut corners.

The two batteries I have had Rebuilt from the source I posted... One has lasted a little over 100k and the other continues, it's at maybe 60k now.

They pulled up to my house and had the battery pulled and replaced in less than an hour.

Like buying a product from Amazon, if you can't verify the warranty get new.

But this source does give a warranty for rebuilts, it's 1 year/ 25k.

But unless you plan on getting rid of it soon the new seems to be very reasonable now.
    New has same warranty as dealer with less hassle and costs.
    Rebuilt Batteries | Hometown Hybrids

Services | Hometown Hybrids

I've only had experience with these guys... A lady is actually the founder.

7. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Good morning everyone. Today the brake light and VSC light also came on. Battery appears to be charging and discharging very quickly.

I also got in touch with a reputable local Prius repair guy and this is what he said:
    To me, it seems worth it to replace the entire battery. The prices are very reasonable and far lower than I expected. This Prius had a few cells replaced about 10k ago, so I see the probability of more cells failing. Thoughts? What questions should I be asking this guy?

8. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $1500/3year warrantee=$500/year at worst? I assume you trade you battery in. I see nothing wrong here and I love that they will come to you, I know I've replaced my own in 2 hours and that included a test drive. Hope you get a good stack of cells and never have to use the warrantee.

Let's see, a similar car gets 30 mpg without a hybrid so the battery gives you an additional 10 mpg right? If gas is $3/gal you need to drive the car at least 20,000 miles per year to recoup the cost of your battery battery ($500/year)

iPhone ?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going to get a rebuilt battery, you should get one from Dorman. That is a national company and they will honor their 3 year warranty without question.

You'll probably end up getting more than 1 battery during the 3 years warranty period, that's why it's important to have a company that will be around when you need the warranty service. I don't see a rebuilt battery going trouble free for 3 years......it would be a rare occurrence if it does go the distance.

10. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Yes, I trade in my old battery. I asked a few questions about their batteries so I'll report back when I get my answers.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And you are just NOW telling us this ??
    Did you NOT think this was important information ???
    :mad:

And yes, that exact thing comes up repeatedly in reports here from owners who have had "economy" battery rebuilds.
    Have you NOT searched and read any of those previous reports ??

SFO likes this.
  12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! Not sure why that wasn't pertinent info to solving your problem.

You don't just replace cells that would be too easy... after careful load testing comparable cells have to be matched, it's not for the faint of heart if you want to do it right, time to quit trying to go cheap saving a few bucks and get yourself a new battery and be done with it.

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Even driving at 20k per year, that means it was nearly 5 years ago when you got that replacement. All the remaining cells/modules in the pool are now 5+ years older and weaker. NO WAY a "new" rebuilt pack of today is going to last 100k miles. It's not uncommon now to hear of 2 or 3 warranty replacements of doorman batteries with a 3 yr warranty. This is a game of very diminishing returns.

Since you've moved to generalities, no. An ECU in my Energi will tell me specifically via a text message if my 12v is low/weak.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My son has 3 companies in roofing and construction. While his guys have the big rigs, he runs around checking on them in the prius.

But it sounds like you're not comfortable since so many have had issues.

The temptation is great to toss in some cells from another battery to replace the dead ones and make a big profit.
    But I bet they don't give a 1 year /25k warranty either.

The warranty truly shows how confident a vendor is in their work.

But IMO nowadays buying new is only about double getting used or remanufactured, so buy new unless you're not interested in longevity.

It's fine if you doubt you would get good results, as long as you don't call someone a liar because they did.

I've been out here longer than most and my reputation is without dispute.
    I was part of the dream team that got sent to Detroit to see the Gen 3 and was the first I'm my town to own one.

I have no motivation to pad my image, other than to say "don't let fear rule your life", it's smart to be smart and not believe everything you hear, but it can be foolish to stick your head in the sand.

15. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you got $1500 for a 10 year old battery pack??
    can you send me the buyers number?
    Id like to sell him the 5 I have in the garage

strawbrad and Paul Schenck like this.
  16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well now you're set!
    Been my experience unless you hit something these prius's run forever but the batteries are batteries, they do have a limited lifetime.

Rebuilding one is dicey unless you honestly throw away all cells that show heat or fail to hold charges. You need several other batteries to draw cells from or you won't end up with a rebuild that is matched cell to cell.
    And you can't match the cells unless they've all been stressed and tested in the same manner.
    Then must test again as a whole unit.

The weakest cell tends to pull the other ones to its level.

I lived 12 years on a hydroelectric system I built so I've seen battery issues. That was ever 20 years ago and I'm proud to say it's still running to this day!

But nothing compares to starting new.

17. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you on the west coast? Let me clarify. I sold the two year old battery I had documentation on for $1500. I am currently using the battery I got with the salvage Prius for $1000. Mind you $1500 included installation.

18. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    no im in florida and cant get 800 for a rebuilt battery these days, cheap gas really hurt the prius market here .. trying to sell everything i have and no takers, well they will take it just not pay for it

19. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks again everyone for the time you've taken to help with this. As some have stated, yes I am "young" so I hope you understand I'm very new to Prius repairs, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I apologize I did not provide all the information up front, I simply did not remember some things until later.

Onto the repair: I ended up going to Best Hybrid Batteries and opted for a new battery. I walked out the door 45min later with a new battery + 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. It cost me $1,467 after tax. I'm happy with my decision.

Paul Schenck likes this.
  20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like a deal, there are techs around, often those that work at Toyota dealers that can install it for you on the side on their own time for around 400ish.